Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Special 30-day challenge contest page 2

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    What do you like most about Mark's Daily Apple?
    The community! There is always a lot of good advice and friendly encouragement on the forums and comment threads.

What is your favorite type of article? Please rank these types on a scale from 1-10: Saturday recipes, Dear Marks (wherein I answer your email questions), Weekend Link Love, Friday Success Stories, fitness-related feature articles, nutrition-related feature articles, guest posts. Feel free to add and rank any other article types/genres you've seen on MDA, too.
    (1=favorite, 10=least favorite)
    1. Dear Mark
    2. Nutrition features
    3. Weekend Link Love/Success Stories (tie)
    4. Weekend Link Love/Success Stories (tie)
    5. Fitness features
    6. Guest posts
    7. Recipes (I just cook whatever's in my house)

What features, if any, would you like to see added to MDA?
    The full date (with the year) at the top of your articles. I prioritize more up to date information over some of the stuff you wrote several years ago, but sometimes it's hard to tell what's newer.

Would you be interested in video and/or audio/podcast content? Do you prefer written articles?
    Prefer written content mostly, as it's easier to sneak in while pretending to work!

What do you dislike about MDA?
    Some of the more annoying forum members. Not much you can do about that though.

Do you have any other advice as to how MDA could be improved (navigation?, design?, post frequency?, etc.)? Tell me what you think I should continue doing, what you'd like to see me start doing, and anything else you'd like to tell me and I'll do my best to keep bringing it, daily.
    I would like to see the forum navigation tree at the bottom of the page as well as the top so you don't have to scroll all way back up through the whole page to hit the link out to the forum you're on (the Home > Primal Blueprint Forum Discussion > board name > thread name tree). Other than that I think everything works pretty well.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member

Information. You have an archive of lots of articles that explain Paleo/Primal. I also like the daily articles.

What is your favorite type of article? Please rank these types on a scale from 1-10: Saturday recipes, Dear Marks (wherein I answer your email questions), Weekend Link Love, Friday Success Stories, fitness-related feature articles, nutrition-related feature articles, guest posts. Feel free to add and rank any other article types/genres you've seen on MDA, too.

Number 1: Success stories
    Number 2: Nutrition-related articles
    Number 3: Everything else

A complete archive of articles by category, with link to the complete article and comments.

Would you be interested in video and/or audio/podcast content? Do you prefer written articles?

Video of exercises and recipes are always nice, but not necessary. I think the written articles with pictures are fine. I don't like audio/podcast stuff.

Lack of good navigation through content. As I mentioned, a completely categorized archive of articles would be great, especially for noobs, but really for all of us. Another example - when you click on "Success Stories" there are only truncated articles, no comments, and no organization. Now, you must search for specific keywords and wade through the results.

Do you have any other advice as to how MDA could be improved (navigation?, design?, post frequency?, etc.)? Tell me what you think I should continue doing, what you'd like to see me start doing, and anything else you'd like to tell me and I'll do my best to keep bringing it, daily.

You are awesome and MDA is awesome! Just give us the navigation and archive all the great info here. Maybe a forum moderator at some point - but not to police the forums, rather to link to existing articles on MDA that will answer a question. Just that alone will be worth a ton in capturing and keeping participants, and educating folks. Many newbies enter the forum with questions that are not answered correctly or at all.

You have a lot of content, with more added daily - if you can't share that content easily it will be hidden in the continually growing archives, like gems in a hillside.

Grok on Mark!
    Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    community

What is your favorite type of article? Please rank these types on a scale from 1-10: Saturday recipes 5, Dear Marks (wherein I answer your email questions) 6, Weekend Link Love 5, Friday Success Stories 10, fitness-related feature articles 8, nutrition-related feature articles 8, guest posts 5. Feel free to add and rank any other article types/genres you've seen on MDA, too.

dont like video/audio. much easier to read

annoying forum members

maybe add forum moderation but keep it laid back how it is. moderators can quickly ruin a forum if their heads get to big
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    The wealth of knowledge from several of the forum members. Being able to have members like Jack Kruse, ChocoTaco, Griff, Grok, Grizz, et al., is a wonderful resource. The sheer intelligence and depth of knowledge is great for an analytical mind like mine.

What is your favorite type of article? Please rank these types on a scale from 1-10:
    Saturday recipes (5), Dear Marks (wherein I answer your email questions) (8), Weekend Link Love (8), Friday Success Stories (6), fitness-related feature articles (10), nutrition-related feature articles (10), guest posts (7).

To the extent of the forum, you could stand to have a moderating team to take care of SPAM / advertising accounts. Whilst the general atmosphere of the forum is healthy and relatively self-policing, there is also a necessity for smaller items such as moving wayward threads to the appropriate forum, closing threads that have become overly contentious, and splitting some of the larger threads to reduce server load.

To the extent of the site, I'll have to echo the comments regarding navigation. A quick Google search usually turns up what I want to find, but having a nice archival of some sort would be cool. Perhaps by category or subject matter.

I tend to prefer written content because video/audio/podcast content isn't something I frequently (if ever) use.

My only real dissatisfaction has to do with forum matters (see above) -- primarily SPAM/advertising. I probably report 30+ accounts per week, and that's just my recollection. Otherwise, it's great.

Navigation is fine. Design is fine. Post frequency is optimal, no need for more than one post per day in my opinion and the variety is great.
    Last edited by Velocity; 10-07-2011 at 03:50 PM.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

lars1000 is offline Member
    The information, and non-dogmatic way points of view are offered and presented to the reader. Also, the topics vary enough to keep us all interested.

What is your favorite type of article? Please rank these types on a scale from 1-10:

Assuming 1 is low and 10 best (Am I the only one that scales this way?

Saturday recipes: 9
    Dear Marks 9
    Weekend Link Love: 10
    Friday Success Stories: 10
    fitness-related feature articles: 10
    nutrition-related feature articles: 10
    guest posts: 7

More reader submitted primal fitness videos, and contests.

Podcasts are a great idea. I too consume them during my long, non-primal commute. Just as long as it doesn't affect the quality of anything else.

Only thing I can think of is the delineation between "New Posts" and "Today's Posts" in the forums. For the most part I stopped reading the forums after the "upgrade". Just have it all in there as one.. and of course keep the different categories/subsections.. "Meet and Great", "Primal Blueprint Nutrition", etc.

Do you have any other advice as to how MDA could be improved (navigation?, design?, post frequency?, etc.)?
    One post a day is plenty. Someone mentioned adding a nav menu at the bottom. That's a great idea. Can't think of any other suggestions.

Tell me what you think I should continue doing, what you'd like to see me start doing, and anything else you'd like to tell me and I'll do my best to keep bringing it, daily.
    Just don't stop!

dkd2001 is offline Senior Member
    What do you like most about MDA? Daily updates, searchable databases, lots of great information, good community.

Assuming 1 is low and 10 best

Saturday recipes: 6
    Dear Mark: 8
    Weekend Link Love: 7
    Friday Success Stories: 9
    fitness-related feature articles: 6
    nutrition-related feature articles: 10
    guest posts: 6

I would like to be able to navigate directly from the forum to the home page of MDA -- if it's there, I have missed it!

I really prefer written articles. My satellite connection is slow and video is essentially useless. I don't usually bother with podcasts, but read stuff, archive it, re-read it, etc. Plus, video recipes, while entertaining, are not very useful when shopping or cooking -- they should include a link to a printable recipe.

Having only a video option for certain instructions (It took me about 45 minutes to download each of the five basic LHT videos) so some written instructions plus easily downloaded JPEGS would be a great option for important stuff.

Forum: I too, don't really know the difference between today's posts and new posts. Plus once in a while there are some nasty comments from posters.

Fitness Posts: I also, as a beginner and someone with some physical limitations, feel a bit left out, especially of the really gung-ho fitness posts and information. I'm sure I'm not the only "Not Ready for Prime-Time" physical specimens reading the blog. More info on how to modify for us less-fit would be really helpful.

Do you have any other advice as to how MDA could be improved (navigation?, design?, post frequency?, etc.)?
    The above suggestion on navigating the forum.

Tell me what you think I should continue doing, what you'd like to see me start doing, and anything else you'd like to tell me and I'll do my best to keep bringing it, daily.
    The daily posts are great. You could add guest posts on some days, but as it is, we don't want to spend TOO much time on the computer reading when we could be playing outside with the dogs!
    Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member

This site (or community if you will) reinforces the message in the book in a way that has helped me in my success. In my instance if the "eat fat" message hadn't been reinforced I might have backslid into CW and failed. The wealth of information available through links, tutorials, answers to specific questions etc is almost like an ongoing graduate seminar. The internet can be a time sink but MDA gives value for the time spent.

As an aside, I had dinner w/ Julie Mayfield, the Jaminets and a couple of others working a paleo/web angle and I can tell you that MDA is envied and it's understandable. Compared to some of the moribund usenet groups related to some of my other interests MDA is simply in a different orbit. Aside from the Primal message you could school a lot of folks about what a web-based community can be.

What is your favorite type of article? Please rank these types on a scale from 1-10: Saturday recipes, Dear Marks (wherein I answer your email questions), Weekend Link Love, Friday Success Stories, fitness-related feature articles, nutrition-related feature articles, guest posts.

Saturday recipes: 3
    Dear Marks: 8
    Weekend Link Love: 8
    Friday Success Stories: 10
    Fitness-related features: 6
    Nutrition-related features: 7
    Guest posts: Insufficient sample

I wouldn't mind seeing a few more guest posts.

Written is definitely preferable.

The content can be overwhelming. I've been frequenting it for a year and I can just imagine that there are quite a few chestnuts buried in the older posts both in the blog and on the forum.

It probably isn't possible to properly index all of the content at this point, but it would be nice. The search function implemented earlier this year was a help but this is probably something that will become more feasible in the future.

An app? Really just a link to the content and the content optimized for viewing on a mobile device. A lot of times I'm reading it on the subway and it get's awkward to navigate.

A sidebar indicating trending posts, most commented etc tied to a system of quick tagging by readers of specific posts, maybe something graphic like bubbles and lines. (I've seen this on the Economist website, the link is currently dead or I'd share) Thank you for removing the Facebook "like" button but something site specific would be useful.

And really, thanks. I've said it to you in person and I'll say it again. I don't know how many "worker bees" there are working on this but MDA reflects a continuing high level of effort and quality. I stumbled on PB as I was searching to address some serious health concerns as I close in on 50 and a year later I'm in the best health of my adult life. I'm 85% of the way there and might otherwise be satisfied but MDA accentuates the infinity of the possible and keeps me motivated to continue to push.
    Last edited by IvyBlue; 10-07-2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: TY
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

What is your favorite type of article?

"Definitive Guides" on different foods and things pertaining to Primal lifestyle- I like getting the basic facts about subjects without any fluff. "This is what it is and this is what we know and don't know." Plain and simple. Here's where science is on this subject, this is what we know about that food, etc. Please keep this stuff coming- and when new info comes out, I know it can usually end up here. Also LOVE the Link Love!

Please rank these types on a scale from 1-10:
    Saturday recipes: 7
    Dear Marks (wherein I answer your email questions): 9
    Weekend Link Love: 9
    Friday Success Stories: 8
    fitness-related feature articles: 6
    nutrition-related feature articles: 9
    guest posts: 6

I too would like to have some more interactive content. Moderators on the forum would be more helpful too, and maybe a few more forum categories for things that don't exactly fit into the current topics. Off Topic, maybe a forum for Social issues, a section just for Newbie questions/answers, A "rate my food/workout" section where people can get help tweaking their lifestyle.

I like them both. I don't know how much I'd use vidoe/audio/podcast content, but if there were a way to use it via Droid app, it would be more likely.

There's not a lot. Search is still a little wonky. The 30-Day challenge brings about its own challenges with the forum but that's to be expected.

I agree with another poster- it would be cool to interact with you on the forum more.

loligoss is offline Senior Member

Where do I begin? I love the recipes first and foremost. I love the fact that I can share my newbie silly questions and contribute when I know the answer for another members question.

Saturday recipes, 10
    Dear Marks (wherein I answer your email questions) 8
    Weekend Link Love 7
    Friday Success Stories 6
    fitness-related feature articles 9
    nutrition-related feature articles 1
    guest posts 5
    Feel free to add and rank any other article types/genres you've seen on MDA, too.

As long as it is short

The search function isn't clear

I think a tip of the week would be good, tip of the day would be excellent
    I love the competitions too
    I think you need to clarify the 80/20 rule with examples. What I love about being primal is that there is no need/want to cheat as your "cheats" are already part of the 20 it makes it so much easier for me

Stressing the health benefits of being primal.

Giving ideas for having fun could also be a great tip. I think we adults forget what fun is all about.

NorCalGirlDiver is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Everything. I love the community and philosophy.

1. Friday Success Stories
    2. Saturday recipes
    3. Dear Marks
    4. Nutrition related
    5. Fitness related (sometimes too advanced for newbies)
    6. Weekend Link Love

Contests are fun! I would really like to see an Android App!

Only if they were easy to get on an android.

Your blog entries do not have the full date.

Navigation on the bottom of the screen for forums. Full Dates on your posts. Android App.

Just don't stop!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast