Thread: Food Intollerances and sensitivity!! page

amberlou85 is offline Junior Member

Food Intollerances and sensitivity!!

Hi all!! I am trying the primal way of eating because every time I eat anything my stomach bloats to a ridiculous size! I have already cut out gluten, most dairy and sugar from my diet but the bloating is still terrible. Has anyone found that the diet and exercise has helped with stomach bloating?? x

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Yes definitely! Providing a sample couple of days and what you eat/ate would be helpful for us to help figure out what might be problematic for you.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

You may have Candidia which is an over growth of yeast in your stomach and/or intestines. I had this.
    I had to completely stay away from all forms of sugar including fruit and starchy veggies. I only ate protein, fat, and veggies. I used hemp milk in my coffee because I can not tolerate dairy, soy, or nuts. I also am intolerant to nightshade veggies such as bellpeppers, eggplant, tomatoes, peppers, all potatoes except sweet, spices such as red pepper and paprika!

This was tough to follow but let me tell you it was worth it. I lost 65 pounds in 4 1/2 months!
    I took probiotics to restore my gut flora. My system did get better but once I started eating too many carbs like beans, banana, real sweet fruit, coconut milk icecream, I started gaining weight FAST and bloating again. So, it's back to the basics for me.

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    You have a messed up digestive system, either Candida or similar bad bacteria/lack of good bacteria, imbalance. Going strictly Primal should help you but you should also start taking digestive probiotics. You can get detailed information at Gutsense.org and buy probiotics there as well.

I used to get frequent mild bloating after eating, but I don't have any bloating any longer since going Primal. I didn't take probiotics but I do eat yogurt and kefir.
    Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

dkd2001 is offline Senior Member
    Hi Amberlou,

You may have more extensive food allergies/sensitivities than the average individual. If things don't improve in a couple of weeks, I would advise a full elimination diet. The best guide for this I have found is the book "Diet Wise" by Keith Scott-Mumby (find it on Amazon.) He gives clear guidance for doing the diet (it will be somewhat easy, as you are never going back to grains, right?) It is very restrictive and demands NO CHEATING! It took me about three months to test all of the foods that I planned to test. (Interestingly, I'm not particularly sensitive to grains, so I started eating some again until I went back to a Primal Lifestyle -- and I do feel much better without them.)

But this diet (and keep a good diary of food, sleep, headaches, etc. if you do it) does identify your individual intolerances better than anything I've tried in the past. My first discovery -- I'm violently sensitive to macademia nuts and oil (ah -- those Atkins years!). I'm also very sensitive to corn (not a problem when you are Primal, of course), mushrooms, bananas and cantaloupe, and chicken egg yolk (not white) and duck eggs are okay. Some weird stuff. You Could be allergic to any food. If you crave it or eat it all the time, definitely test for it.

As you will see in the book, there are people with food allergies to anything! One person can't eat lettuce. Another -- no apples. For some, it's beef (hmmm, I wonder if that would be any beef or just SAD corn-fed beef??). Citrus is a common allergy. If you have food sensitivity's it is well worth your time and effort to do a full elimination diet. Plus, you start with so few foods on you plate for the first couple of weeks, that every food you successfully add to your safe list is great! And a full Primal Diet plan will feel like total eating freedom to you, once you complete the Elimination plan.

My one recommendation -- only introduce a new food every other day -- I found it difficult to tell if a headache I had at 36 hours was from today's or yesterday's food test. So for me, two days between testing worked best, and I didn't need to retest foods two weeks later.

Good luck! The Primal Diet eliminates many of the foods that we have sensitivities to but we are all different, so you may need to try that extra step. It does take at least two weeks without a food to see marked improvements, so the diet takes time. For me it was definitely worth it!
    Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html

dkd2001 is offline Senior Member
    A couple of other comments:

I found that I can't eat regular bacon -- the additives give me migraines. But I have since tested uncured bacon and now am loving it. Uncured bacon from pastured pigs!

Also -- Mumby is a bit of a fringe-type, but this book is spot on.
    Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amberlou85 View Post
    Hi all!! I am trying the primal way of eating because every time I eat anything my stomach bloats to a ridiculous size! I have already cut out gluten, most dairy and sugar from my diet but the bloating is still terrible. Has anyone found that the diet and exercise has helped with stomach bloating?? x
    THE GAPS DIET Natural Digestive Healing

Wow! Thank you all for your replies I am starting a food diary, eating small amounts and basic primal meals. I will let you know how I get on. You have all been very helpful, thank you!!!! x

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh and I will be getting some probiotics!! I may start taking acidophilus again as it has helped me slightly before but with the primal diet and exercise I am hoping the bloating will get better. Thanks again!