Thread: the carbohydrate curve page

jammiedodger is offline Junior Member

the carbohydrate curve

Hi all,

Just wondering if I was to stick to the carbohydrate curve as my guide and consume less than 100g of carbs each day (obviously aiming to stick to primal but occasionally slipping up by having a biscuit or something), would I lose weight/body fat?

Things like cheese and parma ham have 0g of carbs but realistically I understand I cant eat an unlimited amount of these if I wanted to lose weight so how could I keep track of what Im doing? Should I still be eating less calories in order to lose weight? I think that I may have gone overboard on these as they seem to be free but is there a recommended amount of calories a woman should be eating daily or a recommended ratio of fat, protein and carbs?

I just seem to be half doing this primal thing and then slipping up. To be honest I think I need some rules to keep myself in check

Thanks!

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    What is your current weight? If you have 100+ pounds to lose, just dropping the carbs will yield results. Once you start getting into a healthier body weight and closer to your goal, you may have to dial back the calories a little bit. For many people, once you get to a certain point, VLC (very low carb) alone is not enough to produce fat loss. Maintain, yes. Lose, no.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Well, the first rule would be to not allow anything that is not Primal (you will slip, but it works better if you aim for 100%. If you aim lower then when you slip you start getting too low)

The idea is not to keep your carbs low and eat evrything you could want that has no carbs. To some degree calories are going to matter. I believe the point is to eat until you are satisfied not stuffed.

Regarding ratios, different things work for different people. Your age, how much you have to lose, hormones, etc. all play a part in what it will take to help you lose the fat. The rules I currently follow are ...

RULE 1: Keep 3 hours before bedtime food free
    RULE 2: Eat 3 meals a day, no snacks
    RULE 3 : Eat to satisfaction, not stuffed
    RULE 4: Eat a high protein breakfast soon after arising-trying to get 50g protein within the 30 mins. after waking up
    RULE 5: Carbs between 25 and 50

Because this makes me feel good and I am getting smaller.

Good Luck
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

jammiedodger is offline Junior Member
    Im currently 158lbs and am 5'5". Really want to just slim down and lose around a stone or 1.5. TBH imnot even too bothered with the scales, just want to look smaller and lose the fat! I just dont want an extremely restrictive diet: more like a way of life that I can maintain and not feel like I am depriving myself. Although I would go hell for leather for a period to reach my goal if from then all I needed was to maintain.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammiedodger View Post
    Im currently 158lbs and am 5'5". Really want to just slim down and lose around a stone or 1.5. TBH imnot even too bothered with the scales, just want to look smaller and lose the fat! I just dont want an extremely restrictive diet: more like a way of life that I can maintain and not feel like I am depriving myself. Although I would go hell for leather for a period to reach my goal if from then all I needed was to maintain.
    My suggestion then would be that once you are comfortable with less than 150g of carbs a day, dip your carbs and calories a little bit, while still having 60-70% of your calories from fat and enough protein for your body. But make sure you are 100% comfortable with primal eating first.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have a whole lot more to lose, so my rules are likely too restrictive. The point though of going primal is not so much that it is a way to lose weight or fat or whatever it is a ride toward maximizing your genetic makeup to be as healthy as posible. So a focus on real foods, keeping your carbs below 100g, and check this out...How to Eat According to the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.