Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to Coconut Oil page

Room13 is offline Junior Member

Alternative to Coconut Oil

Primal Fuel
    Hi all, I'm after a little primal help if anyone out there can offer it up...

I've been eating Primal for approximately 3 months now, very strict since the beginning of October. I'm a complete convert and can never see a valid reason for touching grains etc again.

Now I'm slowly working on my family (my wife and beautiful daughters of 9 and 12) by drip feeding primal processes into our cooking and then on down to meal choice etc. However, a stumbling block I have come across is the slight taste of coconut that gets left on certain foods...not a big winner with my wife and one of my daughters. Obviously butter is the next option, but not everything is good that way...stir frys etc...

As you may have guessed, I'm after some recommended options as an alternative to coconut oil...I personally love it and will stay with forever, but I need something as good primal alternative...

...if you can chuck in some reasoning behind it to enlighten my virgin primal mind it would be even more useful.

Thanks in advance...

SlimIcy is offline Senior Member
    Refined coconut oil has close to zero coconut taste, depending on the brand.

A lot of the fear of cooking with olive oil is overblown. As long as you're not cooking over 375 degrees for long periods of time, and you keep your oil stored properly so it doesn't oxidize, it's good for cooking.

Beef tallow or lard work great. Try to find grass-fed fat (I get organic pastured pig fat at the farmers market for $1.29/lb) and render it down yourself.

sarak is offline Junior Member
    I personally don't like the taste. I've learned to stand it either on it's own or in things where the taste goes well. When it come to cooking things like eggs and such blech! I haven't found a good replacement but I've started using Green Pastures coconut ghee, it's half ghee and half coconut so it tastes a little less strong. I've also done a lot of reading and I know I need to learn to like it.....so I just use it sparingly as I adjust to it.

tech_hunter is offline Member
    I haven't delved too deeply into the oil stuff, as I use lard and CO, but maybe palm oil? Also, if it is allowed, sesame oil is awesome in stir frys! But not too much...I did that one time...

As to the flavor of CO, I have Spectrum Expeller pressed organic coconut oil, and it has no coconut taste. It's refined and says that it's for medium to high heat. I got it at our Real Food store, probably similar to a Whole Foods.

Hope this helps!

Scotty is offline Senior Member
    I have the same issue but decided to fight bigger battles such as getting my kids off of grain. I call them "my wheat bellies." My wife does the cooking and she uses olive oil or butter. I use coconut oil when practical, they know it, and I figure they will start to incorporate it sometime in the future.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Spectrum brand refined coconut oil is odorless and tasteless. I cook with that most of the time. Some people say the properties are gone, and maybe they're right, so I also have unrefined (virgin) coconut oil that I use differently (spoonful here and there, sometimes on my tea which is actually very nice) and I also drink coconut milk for nutrition purposes. I choose refined to cook with because it's still a far better option than any other processed oil so I'm not concerned with whether it lacks nutrients or not, as long as my meals taste like they should, and not with a coconut taste to them.

I'm going to be making lard soon and would love to make some tallow and ghee as well, those are all great choices. In the meantime, it's refined coco oil all the way.

Room13 is offline Junior Member
    It's been a long time since I've dabbled with lard, is there any after taste?
    It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward...how much you can take and keep moving forward, that's how winning is done!!!

Facebook: www.facebook.com/stulanham
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/stulanham @stulanham

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Room13 View Post
    It's been a long time since I've dabbled with lard, is there any after taste?
    I had a tub of hydrogenated lard that definitely had a bit of a taste to it, but no strong after taste. It was a very mild bacon flavor, very mild. I threw it out after I realized it was hydrogenated though. I have never made my own so I can't say how that will go...

SlimIcy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I had a tub of hydrogenated lard that definitely had a bit of a taste to it, but no strong after taste. It was a very mild bacon flavor, very mild. I threw it out after I realized it was hydrogenated though. I have never made my own so I can't say how that will go...
    Mine is fairly close to flavorless. Definitely a hint of meaty, but if I don't want a hint of meaty in what I'm cooking I'm probably using coconut oil anyway.

The lard I use is just about flavorless. It has a sort of porkish smell when cooking, but it's very slight. Unlike bacon grease, which makes everything taste bacon-y(awesome) but I think that has to do more with the curing/preserving process. And rendering your own lard is super easy if you have a slow cooker. You do need to run it through a fine strainer, but then you have bits left over to make cracklings. Win-Win.
    "Fat gives things flavor." -Julia Child
    "It's perfect! Even if it's not, who cares. No excuses." -Julia Child

A cast iron skillet is a lifestyle, not a tool.

My sunshine and bacon filled journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast