Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm supplementing with Greens + Wild Berry Burst, is that OK? page

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member

Let me be honest, I don't eat enough vegetables. I wasn't forced to eat them while I was growing up so I haven't acquired a taste for many of the "good" ones. And I don't mean that I simply don't like the taste, which I don't, but I actually have a revulsion when many vegetables hit my tongue (i.e., I gag).

I know that it's important to consume them for a wide-variety of reasons, but I just can't (yet). In the meantime I've been supplementing my diet with Greens + Wild Berry Burst, a "Super Food." Is this supplement acceptable on a Paleo Diet? As far as I can tell by its ingredients, and according to the manufacturers, it shouldn't impact my body's insulin levels.

Also, what with my lack of vegetable consumption, would you encourage to take a fiber supplement? I like fruit but in the beginning, when rapid fat-loss is one of my primary goals, I'm limiting my intake of fruit to 1-2 pieces/day and as a result my bowel movements haven't exactly been stellar.

Anyways, other than that I've adapted well to the diet and I'm feeling great.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

"Would you like a side of Spam with that?"

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

more SPAM from xavier, mark... looks like someone who needs to be banned.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

FairyRae2 Guest

Jokaman, there are folks here who are 'carnivore'--not doing any fruits/veggies. You could certainly do that if you wanted.

Mark talks about the antioxidants in veggies and fruits being important b/c of all of the toxins our bodies face today... I prefer to do lots of veggies for this reason.

Would you post a link to the wild berry and greens supps you're talking about? I personally don't have a problem w/ something like this in theory as long as it isn't full of a bunch of crap. Although every powdered 'green drink' I've ever tried has tasted soooo much worse than the delish veggies I eat each day...(sometimes hard to gag down)

If you are already eating some fruit, a really easy way to get veggies in is to make 'green smoothies'. Typically you put water or coconut milk etc. in a blender, throw in some fruit (I do 1/2 a banana for sweetness plus some berries or other fruit--1/2 cup) then a cup + of leafy greens. You can start w/ milder ones like romaine so that the taste isn't so strong, and as you grow accustomed to them, add more varieties w/ stronger flavors. This way you don't need to worry about the texture of them... Here are some recipes (scroll down to the recipes. Most 'green smoothie' stuff is written by raw vegans, so disregard info that is anti meat in writings about them, etc...) I love veggies and prefer to eat them, but had been doing this for a while b/4 going primal to get more in at breakfast...

Your tastes may change in time as well eating primally, and you may become more open to eating various veggies. And it may take a bit for your body to adjust in terms of your bms...I wouldn't worry about taking a fiber supp unless you were really constipated, and I think there are things you can do before taking a fiber supp (probiotics, added magnesium, taking a more natural fiber supps like herbs, etc.) if that were the case. Hopefully a carnivore will give some more input on this. I think I've heard coconut oil can be helpful for this too...

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

If this is a packaged product, you need to put a link to its page for us to evaluate.

From what I've read above, it's just another junk food.

Go all meat if you can't stand veggies (I's so sorry for you!) Get off of the fruit, especially if you are in weight loss mode.

Osa007 Guest

I'm of the opinion veggies aren't necessary & are rather over-rated. It's questionable how much of all that 'good stuff' you're actually assimilated from the veggies while the cellulose damages your GI tract. Who is that granny who was in the world masters games - olympics for geezers (well not all total geezers) - anyway, she's in her nineties - ? Her nutrition advice - don't eat veggies! I used to like veggies OK, then eating some steamed collard greens just turned my stomach & didn't feel right. I have a couple of veggies I eat - watercress, raddichio, beets & sweet potato, oh, and some green chiles/tomatillo salsa for fajita. Vitamin supplements are also questionable. If you want to 'supplement' go for VitD, cod liver & an Omega3, DHA, etc. oil. Dr. Ron's ultra-pure has organ supplements - I'd go with that over synthetic, unnaturally isolated vitamins.

Kryz is offline Junior Member

I get that weird aversion to vegetables sometimes, too. I used to HATE sweet potatoes, now I like them but for some reason can't eat more than a little bit at a time before they gain back their yuck factor. Same goes for cooked carrots...raw carrots I can eat nonstop, though. Maybe there's a texture issue (I tend to not like tomatoes because of their texture), or maybe there's some weird overwhelming taste, or maybe it's all psychological, who knows.

As people have said, you can go veggie-less if you want. If you still want to eat them, experiment with different ways of cooking them. For instance, steamed broccoli isn't the most appealing to me, but broccoli sauteed in butter is delicious.

Osa007 Guest

Sweet potatoes are so rich a slice or two with bacon & eggs does for me, oh, and added butter, of course! Only a couple of times a week at that.

So - I'm taking over the health section at the bookstore I work at (evil laughing and hand rubbing!)

I've got a nice Paleo/Primal list adding up!

Actually - title ideas would be great if you guys want to give me your input!

Here's a link for the supplement:

http://greensplus.com/index.php/cPath/84_21_23_148?osCsid=ade6d99e618eaecf431075049dcc43 6f

Highlights

Provides food source vitamins and minerals, in their biologically complex form, as nature intends them to be.

Supplies high concentrations of the very building blocks of life – RNA, DNA and Amino Acids – absolutely essential for the health of all 32 trillion cells in the human body.

Delivers sea-source micro-nutrients such as boron, titanium, lithium, ubium and iodine found in rich sea vegetation – virtually depleted from the earth’s soil.

Contains a rainbow of bio-active enzymes such as chlorophyll (green), phycocyanin (blue) xanthophylls (yellow), violaxanthin (purple) and the complete carotene complex-focal points of exciting nutritional research.

Metabolizes and transports body fat and cholesterol with the emulsifying di-polar molecules found in ultra Soy Lecithin.

Neutralizes harmful acids produced in the digestion of animal tissue and processed foods. Disease thrives in an acidic internal environment called acidosis.

GREENS+® is a rich alkaline-forming food that restores a healthy pH balance to the human body.

Strengthens the Immune System with the herbal support of Echinacea Angustifolia, Milk Thistle and Astragalus Membranaceus.

Enhances mental acuity with Ginkgo Biloba extract, a potent neural tonic that improves circulation to the brain tissue, and works with choline (found in lecithin) to increase nerve impulses linked to memory. The human brain has a dry composition of 30% lecithin.

Reduces stress and accelerates homeostasis with standardized herbal extracts of Siberian Ginseng, Licorice root, and Astragalus Membranaceus.

Cleanses the colon of excess cholesterol, dietary toxins and waste with 17.2% soluble and insoluble high pectin apple fiber.

Re-populates friendly intestinal bacteria with 2.5 billion airy-free probiotic cultures of seven different strains – including Acidophilus ATCC 4356.

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Also, I find that eating a banana or an apple with my 4 slices of bacon w/cheddar cheese (I ran out of eggs this morning) eases my stomach. I'm not sure I could eliminate all natural fiber from my diet without spending the entire day on the toilet or with an upset stomach. In fact, I'm supposed to go hiking today but I don't want to for fear of having to take a sh!t break or three on the side of the trail along the way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast