Thread: What did your "carb flu" feel like? page

KimmyBabs is offline Junior Member

What did your "carb flu" feel like?

Shop Now
    Hi folks,

I'm 9 days into the transition to PB... and I have to assume what I'm going through is the "carb flu". I'm weak, somewhat tired, cranky, and HUNGRY. I could eat non-stop right now, it's ridiculous. (Yes, I'm eating fats and proteins, I know the drill!) It's a pretty irritating combination of actual physical hunger and straight-ahead food cravings. I don't even know WHAT I'm craving... it's everything. Oh my God, I hope this passes soon.

Can any of you relate to this? I'm waiting for this boundless energy and fat burning to kick in... but all I want right now is to eat. And eat. And sleep. And eat. (I'm exercising some restraint -- as Mark mentioned in a post somewhere along the line, there was a woman drinking a can of coconut milk with dinner and wondering why she's gaining weight. So, although I know we're supposed to throw calorie counting out the window, I'm not being stupid about it. I'm definitely not indulging every single craving I'm having.)

JHen is offline Member
    For the first week, I would not be hungry but be craving food. It was weird. I just chowed down some random primal food stuff and dealt with it. Not a lot mind you, something like a handful of walnuts or a small piece of left over meat.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Calgary, AB
    It never happend to me. Persistence landed me into emergency. If you feel like crap after a few weeks, I would recommend doing Paleo rather than Primal, with moderate carbs from good, healthful sources, and moderate amount of fat. Healthy living does not postulate super-low carbs.
    Last edited by Leida; 10-06-2011 at 10:08 AM.
    My Journal:
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Gweebles is offline Member
    Port Mansfield TX
    I am one who has to cut carbs to lose, even primal. My carb flu was not a happy time, my daughter threatened to put warning flares around me. Once I got past the first week, I was in a much better mood. I was constantly munchy, grouchy and just feeling "off"
    Success is getting what you want, Happiness is wanting what you get~Brother Dave Gardner

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Learn More
    I think it took me a couple of weeks to get over carb flu. I was definitely tired and a bitch. I mean, more than usual...

Anyway, I'm glad you're sticking with it. Give it just a little more time and you'll start noticing a difference.

Oh, and I agree with JHen. It wasn't so much hunger as much as being fixated on stuff I knew I shouldn't have. For me, it was mostly the chocolate frosted donuts at 7/11. Couldn't get my mind off of them. The Boyfriend was starting to feel neglected because I really would have chosen that damn donut over him. Now I rarely think about the donuts, and The Boyfriend is #1 again.
    My sorely neglected blog -