Thread: Don't want to lose weight TOO fast... page

AlexK is offline Junior Member

I'm at my first week of being primal and honestly, I feel great. My cheats have been pretty small (a bite of calzone here, sugar in my coffee there), but even after a week I've lost 5 pounds and by the end of the work week my usual wired to crash cycle was pretty much gone. I've also been loving eating home-cooked dishes.

But here's my issue: my wife is pregnant, and not interested in focusing on any other lifestyle changes at the moment. Which is fine--my years of marriage have taught me that it's a bad idea to lecture to your spouse. I do most of the food preparation so it's been easy for me to accomodate her on meals (she has rice, I don't, etc.) She's always been eaten better than me anyway (more veggies, fewer sweets).

My wife is supportive of my desire to eat healthy, but she's understandably concerned that I'm going to lose weight TOO fast and doesn't really want to see me drop lots of pounds while she's busy gaining them by being pregnant.

I'm not interested in arguing with my wife over this. I'm just wondering out there what some of the best foods are that will help keep me in the weight maintenance sweet spot. My weight naturally flucuates about 20 pounds up and down, and post-holidays I'm pretty sure my wife won't be upset over a 15-20 pound loss. But I would like to wait to lose the rest of the weight with my wife after our baby is born. And I don't want to give up primal eating.

Any ideas for relatively high-carb, primal foods that I should keep in my diet to keep myself from losing too much weight?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Don't get too excited too quickly... 5 pounds might have been your first week's loss, but it likely won't keep falling off at that huge rate... a lot of the initial loss is water weight.

Anyway, if you find yourself effortless getting TOO trim and hot too quickly, maybe try eating more carbs in the form of sweet potatoes, fruits, etc(all those things that people who are trying to lose weight might avoid).

Also... why would your wife have a problem with you getting more fit? I'm pregnant and while my husband doesn't exactly have much weight to lose, I wouldn't mind if he went to the gym and lifted and got more healthy and strong while I was "busy gaining pounds by being pregnant."

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

@FlyNavyWife - Thanks for the reassurance and the food suggestions. I am honestly worried about losing too fast because a couple years before my wife I was on Atkins and dropped 60 pounds in six months. I know that my body responds well to low-carb diets. (I quit Atkins because I was tired of not eating enough vegetables, actually, then the grain habits fell back into place...)

And it's not the eating healthy or exercising that bothers her. It's just the weight loss. She even told me that saying it out loud sounds silly. But she's my wife and she's pregnant and I am not going to ignore what she says.

For my own part, I don't mind carrying the extra pounds a few more months as long as I'm getting the nutrients in the foods and the benefits of exercise. I'm in the middle of reading the Primal Blueprint and I know I can kick it up a notch when I need to.

Thanks again!

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

It might not be the best time to make drastic changes, but there still may be time to introduce some changes for the sake of the baby. Meat is very nourishing for both. I hope she will be eating more meat than normal.

Anand - Fortunately, she's been CRAVING meat, so that hasn't been an issue.

fuhcq2 is offline Junior Member

Has Mark posted anything about ratios.... Protein fats carbs...and proportions...

I have trouble feeling full....

FU, start a new thread for your question please.

JAK, 60 pounds in 6 months is good!!! But hardly "too fast"... 10 pounds/month is 2.5/week which sounds healthy to me. Guess your wife is just having hormonal irrationality issues. hehe.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

natural whey protein and weight loss might seem like water and oil; they just dont' go together. This is probably because for years protein supplements were the preferred choice of only elite bodybuilders. We pictured these athletes bulking up by adding extra protein to their diet.

Bodybuilders bulk up by lifting weights and not by consuming protein. If all you did was add more protein to your diet you would gain fat and not muscle. However, if you are eating the proper amount of lean protein as part of a balanced daily diet you can turn your body into a fat-burning machine.

Whey protein is found in many weight loss products and meal replacement food items. It is the whey protein isolates that are especially desirable for weight loss because of their low-fat and low-carbohydrate content. When you combine the proper amount of whey protein and a well-rounded exercise program you will build lean muscle mass. This muscle will burn more calories and start melting away your excess body fat.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

WTF xavier? SPAM alert, mark!