Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone track their 20%? page

Acmebike is offline Member

Primal Fuel

So, PB can mean shooting for 80 out of 20, and that seems to be what a load of us shoot for. You hear "... well, just chalk that up to your 20% and don't worry about it..." on the forum from time to time. To that end, have any of you ever logged, you 20% indulgences?

I first got Mark's book and had already gone a long way down the Paleo Nutrition road. I read his 20% allowance, and thought he should really have stated 10%!! But that may turn too many folks away from all the good even 80% will do.

Some reflection on stacking up all those 20% shrugs just might surprise a PB follower. If anything is not coming around, over the long haul, consider logging that 20% for a week, a month, see what it REALLY adds up to! 20% can slide into 30% pretty easily.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Nah, I don't track. My blue jeans and my skin tell me everything I need to know.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

I guess I aim for 100% and try not to beat myself up when I do stray.

I do not comprimse at all when it comes to grains. 0 tolerance, they make me violently ill.

Sugar is my big struggle, so I'm doing a 30 day sugar free challenge. I totally see how allowing 20% of my diet to include sugar would be dangerous!!! It would quickly become 50% or even more!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

maba is offline Senior Member

Same here as dragonmamma. I can keep a tab on my 20% but it's the Primal junk like nuts and dark chocolate that really add up for me. I should make them part of my 20% I suppose.

GotPrimal Guest

No tracking, just acutely aware of when I drink that one beer, or have that extra cup of coffee, and so on

Phil-SC is offline Senior Member

I thought most nuts (not peanuts and other similar ones) and dark chocolate were PB friendly? (Maybe I have misunderstood what you were saying...if so, sorry!)

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Any food and be overindulged, and nuts and dark chocolate seem to trigger some people to over eat them.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Acmebike is offline Member

"....Primal junk...." like that!

Nuts can be easily over consumed! and that can add up to a fair bit of calories (not that I count 'em) and carbs (which I do actively keep on the low end)

Asturian is offline Senior Member

I think Mark's 80/20 "principle" is not so much to allow for cheating or to track ourselves but rather to allow for the fact that we do not live in the Pleistocene among our paleolithic ancestors.

The primal lifestyle is all relative is it not? Most of us do not go to our backyards and gather grubs and insects for a meal, most of us do not eat the eyes our of a roasted goat head the way my grandfather used to when I was a kid, most of us do not go for weeks or months without taking a bath. Put it into perspective, in the 21st century.

As Dr. Harris says over at PaNu, a healthy paleo-lifestyle should not be about re-enacting the paleolithic past, but rather to learn from it and use it as a guide.

So we convince ourselves that we live an 80% primal lifestyle by whatever method/definition we wish to measure. So what -- then we take the risk of killing ourselves by jumping into a car to drive to work?

It is all relative. We ought to keep in mind that living, in general, is hazardous to our lives. To track or log our 80/20 compliance is not what I think Mark had in mind when he came up with that principle. I ain't do'in it.

Just my 2 sense

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

stryker902 is offline Junior Member

I do not track my 20%, but i do reserve a day or a weekend every so many weeks that is "free". This is usually around the 6 to 8 week time frame. I get a pizza a or order Chinese or there is some movie out I really want to to see on the big screen. So I go crazy and get the popcorn, soda and candy. I dont feel guilty, I have my fun.. then I am back on track... I do usually fast right after a free time for at least 24 hours.

I read the link to Marks daily diet, his 20% seems to be mixed in his day. Theres a little sugar in his morning coffee, couple of the recipes he posted, used a tablespoon of cornstarch for gravy, another a little bit of honey to sweeten the sauce on the stickey chicken.. If you track it, it becomes to cumbersome and stressful thinking about it. Some here cant do it at all, because even a little leeway and they are full carbing and sugar dosing. I have been able to pick and choose when i allow those things and not get sucked back into the bad habits. You gotta find your own sweet spot, (no pun intended).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast