Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: France got it right! Fat tax on sugary drinks! page

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member

France got it right! Fat tax on sugary drinks!

Primal Fuel
    France, the land of wholesome fatty food slathered in butter and other good oils, has done it right - slapping a "fat tax" on sugary drinks such as coca-cola:

France to impose fat tax on sugary drinks such as Coca-Cola and Fanta | Mail Online

Contrast this with Denmark, which quite frankly, must clearly suck to live in right now, from a nutritional point of view.

davem is offline Senior Member
    No. You cannot legislate an ethical/moral set of values. Taxing an item such as that is also going to have some significant negative market competition effects.

It's a stupid, stupid idea.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    NO!

There is nothing right about ANY TAX on a specific food. You don't penalize someone to make the right decision through tax increases. That creates "unintended consequences" and ALL FOODS become more expensive because of it. Your tax on sugar now increases the costs incurred by every food company, so ALL prices will rise because they will spread the costs on down the line - they won't raise one item's cost by $1 because you will tax it out of existence, you will increase the price of 10 items by $0.10 each. Congratulations, because chocolate milk is now more expensive to produce, so is regular milk, cream, butter, beef, cheese and any other product that comes from a cow thanks to spreading out that cost.

You reward people for making the right decisions. That can be done through healthcare cost reductions, price reductions due to increased production (if organic and grass fed/pastured was the norm instead of a specialty product, prices would come down) and, of course, the benefit of BETTER HEALTH.

France didn't get anything right. Denmark did even worse. These taxes will eventually make it to the US. We all just lost.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 10-06-2011 at 08:14 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    While part of me would love to see sugary drinks taxed, my concern is that it could just as easily be fat or meat that gets taxed. although, I would be in favor of a tax on all processed foods if that money were designated to independent obesity research--but that won't happen.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    terrible idea. I don't support sin taxes of any type...one persons addiction is another person's one in a while indulgence. One soda won't make you fat and sick. A constant deluge of soda will.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    Very slippery slope.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    No. You cannot legislate an ethical/moral set of values. Taxing an item such as that is also going to have some significant negative market competition effects.

It's a stupid, stupid idea.
    That they are "right" is mere happenstance. It is the same motivation that led to Denmark's "wrong" decision. The decisions should not have been made at all but folks in the developed world seem to want the state as nanny from cradle to grave.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Chasintrail is offline Senior Member
    What they said...

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    what about taxes on cigarettes and alcohol?
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

davem is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyBlue View Post
    That they are "right" is mere happenstance. It is the same motivation that led to Denmark's "wrong" decision. The decisions should not have been made at all but folks in the developed world seem to want the state as nanny from cradle to grave.
    I agree. You should hear me talk about MA and the 2A sometime.

So, I have to ask, when do we get this tax here?
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast