Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about long term low(er) carb diets and mood page

milkycereal is offline Senior Member

Question about long term low(er) carb diets and mood

Primal Fuel
    Whatsup guys. I noticed that when I go low carb my mood gets low too. I'm sensitive to depression and irritability so this bugs me.

But it's obvious to me that carbs definantly make me sleepy and hungrier much sooner compared to a high protien meal.

I'm willing to give it another shot and fight through the "Low carb flu". I'm going to be eating copious amounts of veggies and PWO starch after brazillian jui-jitsu and stuff.

I have some experience with IF and VLC, so it shouldn't be THAT tough for my body to learn how to adapt to burning more fat.

On non-workout days with all the veggies i can eat i'll still be around 70-80 grams of carbs which sounds good to me as i'm pretty active. Some of the veggies served at my dining hall seem to be coated in fat too (probably bad fats...but i'll deal with it for now till i get adpated) so i'll be able to increase my fat consumption easily.

I've got it all figured out how i'm gonna eat, i'm just worried about my overall mood. When I first tried to go primal I got extremly cranky and depressed.

I'm gonna be more flexible this time and eat some rice or potatos if I'm stressin too much, and I decided that to avoid any sugar binges i'll plan a "desert" meal for when I just can't avoid cookies anymore.

This meal will replace the last meal of the day and will be balanced (2 cookies and milk, for example, worked perfectly today at satisfying my craving). It'll be close to bed time so if anything some of that sugar will refill my glycogen stores and the blood sugar crash will knock me out at an OK time.

I know it sounds bad but these won't happen often. I know myself all too well and going cold turkey doesn't end well with me.

Does anyone have any studies on the long term effects of LC diets on mood? I've seen the study done on bicyclists on a LC diet and how they adapted after a few weeks. I was wondering if the same happends as far as seritonin and all those chemicals in your brain responsible for happiness; do you eventually adapt and need less carbs to feel good?

Your own experiences are welcomed too.

Also keep in mind i'm away at college too, i'd like this to interfere with my studying and partying as little as possible...

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    I'm a lot happier lower carb but do get irritable if I go very low. When I just walked and didn't lift weights, a couple of carrots or one potato are about right. If I do more than that, I up the starchy carbs, up to 1-1.5 pounds of sweet potatoe or adding extra rice. I'm not sure what the studies are.

Also, how's your sleep and sunshine? Vitamin D?

Sleep is alirght, not bad for your average college student but i could tone down the evening caffiene a bit as it keeps me up a bit later than i'd like and I think its been making it harder to get outta bed latley

Sunshine? Not so much...once a week we go hiking, but i'm inside alot except when walking somehwere. It also gets rainy and cloudy alot here. I take 4-5,000 units (forgot the unit, iu?) of vitamin D after dinner with my multivitamin

yeah tough situation i think. being a college student that is. Studying, social life.

Coffee later in the day usually keeps me from getting deep sleep, even if I hit the pillow and wake up the same time every day. 6-8 hours is what's suggested around here but some people get away with less. Are you light headed after standing up quickly?

Also, sunshine and vitamin D?

yeah i'm weaning myself off it. Just gonna have one cup from now on most days and none after 3...

I don't get much sunshine and take 4-5,000 UI's of vit.d after dinner

also, simple and cliche as it is, try to relax and enjoy this time in your life

Bump

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Forget moods (hysteria), I got faint in cyclic-ketonic (<30 g carbs) two out of two times I did it at the same 2 months mark, so I am done with any diet that makes you count celery stalks or demonizes grapefruits.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    I think (but am not sure) that the viatmin D may absorb better if you spread it out. Study outside when you can. Sunshine makes the most amazing difference in depression, at least for me.

I would say your body is saying you are not one of those people who do well on VLC, 70g give or take sounds reasonable to low (are you trying to lose weight? if not then I think it is a tad low)

I am doing a version of the Leptin Reset and to me the most helpful thing has been to try to get 50g or more of protein as close to waking as possible. It keeps me from getting hungry later, keeps cravings away, and helps with sleep quality.

And yes, as cliche as it sounds, remember to enjoy where you are when you are, it is a fantastic time of life, if it doesn't feel like it then make it so. Good Luck
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast