Thread: Liver Stress page

LittleNappingLion is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Back when atkins came out, I read that ketosis was NOT good for your liver for periods over what they made sound like a day. I believe they said that it was just too much for your liver to do, to keep filtering out the ketones etc and it would eventually lead to liver damage.

I tried finding answers to this elsewhere but couldnt find anything. Anyone?

GotPrimal Guest

I dont have any science at the moment, but there are people on various Paleo websites that have been living in a constant state of ketosis for years.

And I'd imagine Grok was in a constant state of ketosis as most carbs were seasonal...

spacecowboy614 Guest

I found this after a little googling (if you don't want to read it all and just would like a quick answer, go to "Surprise #7)...

http://www.brianpeskin.com/reports/Ketosis.pdf

On a side note: The only slight disagreement I have with GotPrimal's statement is that what may have been good for Grok is not de facto in our long term best interest. Owing to a shorter life-span, it is possible that those things which allowed Grok to get to 30 are not necessarily beneficial to get him to 80.

There are many examples of this. A good one being Sickle Cell Anemia, which actually raises the chance for short term survival in areas with a high instance of Malaria by disrupting the parasite's life cycle (which is why you see it most prevalently in people of African descent). Not all adaptations for survival (which in an evolutionary sense, is almost always short-term survival, since you just have to reproduce) are beneficial for modern humans looking to live to 80.

This doesn't mean that Ketones are bad (they're not)... But it's important for us to remember that "it's good because Grok did it!" isn't, in and of itself, an answer without any more sound logic to back it up.

GotPrimal Guest

Cowboy,

I'd agree as well, everything Grok did isn't necessarily good for us in the 21st century.

It was the only example I had in the inventory w/out having any literature in front of me.

Good article as well, one question though:

“Ketosis” is almost impossible in a normal person! Don’t waste your

money on the highly promoted “ketosis strips.” Adapting to a higher fat,

higher protein diet will almost never produce ketosis. From the Textbook of

Medical Physiology, page 869, we learn the truth:

So for those that have used this strips, and have got positive results of mild-large amounts of ketones in the urine, whats going on?

spacecowboy614 Guest

I didn't understand that leap either. The only thing that I could think is that he is asserting the removal of ketones is not indicative of ketosis and that it is your body reaching equilibrium as opposed to a sign of that equilibrium having shifted (as is the case of ketosis).

I don't really have an answer for you though...

Nothing in the report explains this well enough, so I don't really know. Though I suppose it is possible for you body to not technically be in ketosis mode but still be burning stored fat efficiently.

As long as you're getting the results you want, though, that's the most important thing.

Acmebike is offline Member

Ketosis takes a bad rap again! Ketosis is not a bad thing, and is not damaging. It is a Vampire Myth (it won't die) that ketosis is damaging to us. There is a lot of good info out there, do not fear ketosis:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/ketones-and-ketosis/metabolism-and-ketosis/

Likely Grok rolled in ketosis MOST of the time. Paleolithic food sources are low in carbs (modern fruits, potatoes, grains, sweetners and the like are not Paleolithic, but are modern constructs), plus activity levels and food scarcity would have led to a fair bit of ketosis for day to day fuel.

Ketosis is not to be confused with ketoacidosis, dire for diabetics.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Your body and brain uses ketones better than glucose. That's partly when people fast they feel more alert.

A new Alzheimer's med does nothing other than boost blood ketones.

LittleNappingLion is offline Senior Member

"A new Alzheimer's med does nothing other than boost blood ketones."

Really? that's crazy!! That in and of itself does it for me. If they're making a med that does this on purpose then they can't then turn around and say, but yeah, ketosis is bad if you do it on your own.

@Space, thanks for that link! That's really good info!!

chima_p is offline Senior Member

Half a dozen prescription meds, no problem!

Ketones!? ZOMGYOUAREGONNADIE!

The liver can process Ketones in it's sleep (literally haha!).

delvarworld is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spacecowboy614 View Post
    I found this after a little googling (if you don't want to read it all and just would like a quick answer, go to "Surprise #7)...

http://www.brianpeskin.com/reports/Ketosis.pdf
    I know this is an old thread, but I just found it on a google search while looking up atkins / high fat / low carb diets. I just wanted to say that this is an absolutely terrible document. I don't know who authorized the Cambridge letterhead to be placed on this but it wouldn't surprise me if no one did. I quoted this "paper" in an argument with someone else and when I went back and read the whole thing, immediately regretted it. It reads like propaganda. I wanted to point this out for people who find this thread, that regardless of where your liver stands in a high meat diet, this is a terrible resource to go to for information.