Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: These Damn Vibrams! page

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member

These Damn Vibrams!

Shop Now
    Yes, sensational title, I know.

I overall love my Vibrams. I have the KSO's. They fit great, they feel great, they're awesome for walking, trail running...I love 'em. Except they fail in one big area.

When I do low intensity steady state cardio on a treadmill. We're talking in the 5.5-6.5 mph range.

Like clockwork at the 20 minute mark, my left arch starts to kill me. It's always the left arch, and it HURTS. I have to completely stop, stretch for 2 minutes, then after 5 minutes, it comes back again. This makes it very annoying to run at the gym with them. They, plain and simple, suck on hard surfaces. I don't have these issues with normal New Balance sneakers. Does anyone else experience foot pain running on firm, level, even surfaces with Vibrams? I really want to run using them on a treadmill, but it hurts my foot and compromises the integrity of my workout. I won a 5K in them with no foot pain at all over trails, so it seems to be an issue with the constant, level, firm surface a treadmill or sidewalk would give you.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    How are you landing? I don't know about treadmill running (which is not really like regular running for stride), but my partner runs in his on paved bike paths, and it definitely forced him to change how he runs. You can get away with a lot more on an unpaved trail than you can on a very hard, flat surface in terms of pounding.

Also, are you doing mobility work in between treadmill runs? You may find that problem is reduced by working on flexibility in the foot (rolling, stretching, etc.). Sometimes for me, foot cramping is also related to hydration levels, so getting enough water may also reduce the frequency.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Respectfully, it sounds like you're running wrong. Spend some barefoot time on the sidewalks and see how that goes. I'm sure you're well aware of the differences in stride when running shod vs barefoot, but it's not the most intuitive thing to do and does require some practice. Go slow, "sit" on your stride (bend your knees) keep your head neutral and pretend there's a rope around your hips and a car is pulling you. Your hips should be forward without exaggerating it too much.

do NOT go barefoot on the treadmill or your feet will burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    How are you landing? I don't know about treadmill running (which is not really like regular running for stride), but my partner runs in his on paved bike paths, and it definitely forced him to change how he runs. You can get away with a lot more on an unpaved trail than you can on a very hard, flat surface in terms of pounding.

Also, are you doing mobility work in between treadmill runs? You may find that problem is reduced by working on flexibility in the foot (rolling, stretching, etc.). Sometimes for me, foot cramping is also related to hydration levels, so getting enough water may also reduce the frequency.
    I drink 2 pints of water beforehand, take yohimbe, green tea and L-arginine before my runs and stretch for 10 minutes both before and after.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Okay, sounds like a stride issue then. I find stride is always trickier on a treadmill--I'd try iniQuity's suggestion above and make sure you're focusing on how you're striking and moving through the foot. You might even want to make a video if you can so that you can see how you're landing. The treadmill really changes a lot of people's stride, so you might totally have barefoot running mastered out on the trail but struggle with it at the gym.

I asked about the stretching because a lot of people who run do IT stretches, calf stretches, and so on, but they completely neglect their feet. Less of an issue perhaps when you wear typical immobilizing running shoes, but more important when you're recruiting the foot muscles for minimalist/barefoot running.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

davem is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    When I do low intensity steady state cardio on a treadmill. We're talking in the 5.5-6.5 mph range.
    Dude, eff the treadmill.

I bought Treks because my KSOs didn't give enough padding for runs outside. Had one really bad run after a few months of running. I got to 1/2 mile mark, had to hobble home. Spent the next week with horribly sore shins. Got the treks, cut out the treadmills which I was using quite religulously, and haven't had problems since.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    KSOs not as good for running. Try the Bikilas or as davem suggested, the Treks...

Maybe it is mainly a form issue. My legs tend to wobble around on the treadmill and I'm constantly bobbing from side to side. I'm not running outside in the winter time, and honestly, I prefer treadmill running as it's a better environment. I hate running on sidewalks (kills my feet and I get blisters), I hate stopping for red lights, I hate running around people, I don't want to twist my ankle in one of the hundreds of ruts I come across, I can hear my music much better, I don't have to run with my keys or phone in my pocket...no, I'm definitely sticking with the treadmill.

So you're saying the bikilas or treks are better? I've seen the treks but not the bikilas. What makes them so much better? The additional cushion? Isn't that a negative?

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoccerGrok View Post
    KSOs not as good for running. Try the Bikilas or as davem suggested, the Treks...
    -1. I have the KSOs and they're fine for running. Try some mobility work, such as rubbing your foot on a lacrosse ball. will hurt like the dickens.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    -1. I have the KSOs and they're fine for running. Try some mobility work, such as rubbing your foot on a lacrosse ball. will hurt like the dickens.
    Some of the worst self-inflicted pain ever. I do that about twice weekly while standing at work, it really hurts. My manager who can see me grimace once e-mailed me asking if I needed to go home or was in pain, I explained and she didn't really say anything because I'm already that barefoot guy that stands up at work, so they come to expect this shit from me.

Choco, dude, your pro-treadmill or anti-outside running stance is pretty weak (blisters, really? I only got blisters once from running and it was from running barefoot on hot turf like an asshole). You're purposely running on a crappy, unstable and unnatural surface (by your own admission) when a better option is readily available. Just 'tween us girls, you're not running on a treadmill to check calories lost right? I ask cus I know you're fond of numbers. Is your area very crowded, like sort of NYC ish? then I could see you not wanting to run outside for crowds, lights, etc, but if you can find some backroads you should definitely do so. Get out there and breathe some fresh air. I can't stand gyms. Shit music, shit people doing shit machines, air conditioning drives me insane. I honestly can't think of a worst place to work out than a regular American gym.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast