Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: These Damn Vibrams! page 4

bemental is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    My podatrist told me that he is seeing quite a bit of injuries from running on hard surfaces in Vibrams. I only run in them on grass. I have no problems using elliptical in Vibrams.
    While this is true probably true, I have a feeling it's probably an exacerbated overuse injury (from pounding that pavement, literally).

I recently did myself in after running a few too many miles a week on pavement in my thinnest of Vibrams after someone ganked my more padded VFF's.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    If you never hurt 24/7 I don't expect you to get it. My feet still do, but at least the doc made walking tolerable. Orthotics do provide relief. So do Vibrams, but not when running on the hard surfaces. It sucks, and, yes, I should swim more, run less, but logistically running is easier.
    I can't remember, but for what health benefit are you running for again? Have we tried substituting in some elliptical or stationary bicycle work/sprints too?

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I was actually saying that in my best "evil podiatrist" voice. Hmmm. Wonder what that would actually sound like..... Don't mind me, I'm just goofin.
    I remember those days. I've spent my fair share of $$ on the SuperFeet brand.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I am an avid barefoot or Vibram wearer AND I belong to a few hiking groups, so I am very used to defending them...try going on a 3 day hike (like this past weekend, amazing time) with only 3yo vibrams in your bag and see what people say. That is when I put them on at all

I am an ex-triathlon nut, and doing so pretty much wrecked my ankles and knees at 25. About 3 years ago, I was having pain just WALKING around town after about 30 min, and I had seen many podiatrists that recommended orthotics. I wore one for about 6 months, but it felt so clunky that I couldn't take it.I decided on trying a non-CW approach, and to start walking/jogging in my vibrams as much as possible.

Within 3-4 months, I was between the Vibrams and barefoot (while living in a VERY crowded South Florida!) for my runs....and here is what I learned: It hurts in the beginning in the muscles/tendons of your calves and ankles. A podiatrist I now trust put it best, "Imagine that the first thing you did every morning, since you were an infant, was put on gloves. Then imagine that they have wrist supporters in them too....and then imagine what it would be like if you just one day STOPPED, exposing your hands to actual surfaces and stressors; you would cut them to pieces, arms would hurt, be miserable."

Which I why I tell anyone that asks me that it took me about 2 years to get fully adapted to the way we are meant to walk and run. It is something you have to commit to....I still remember being in so much pain in my calves after my runs that I couldn't stand in the shower!

Now that my borrowable defense is done.....

If you can do all of that, the supps, the timing on the treadmill, etc....you are a much more resilient man than I. I literally start to feel depressed the second I step on one.

I second a previous poster's reply though, try it barefoot. It is likely a striking-angle issue.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I can't remember, but for what health benefit are you running for again? Have we tried substituting in some elliptical or stationary bicycle work/sprints too?
    I simply run because I like to run outdoors. Our summers are so very short, and our park downtown is so lovely... now after the flood the park is all fenced off, and the flow of people is crazy. Once the park is back, I will run again... probably next year. I dunno, sometimes walking is just not enough. I do elliptical, swim or box (and attempt martial art class, lol!) for my cardio component of fitness and body fat management. Zumba or step sometimes... All of it in VFFs. Bike is not an option, I tried a few times, and it is torture, not fun.
    Last edited by Leida; 07-31-2013 at 05:55 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Wow, quite the bump on this thread. For what it's worth, I just ordered my third pair yesterday. 6pm was selling Bikilas for $39.99 with free shipping so I jumped on the last pair in my size in the...most tolerable color.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Lol, good point about the colors. I have demure purple, and then two pairs in crazy turquoise and another one in hot pink and orange. I am not sure why the stores think that women gotta have pink to work out. I got boy's blue for my daughter. There is not a week someone doesn't comment or ask about my shoes. And I thought they were an old shoe... pardon the pun. More people wear then in the gym now.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234