Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: These Damn Vibrams! page 2

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Some of the worst self-inflicted pain ever. I do that about twice weekly while standing at work, it really hurts. My manager who can see me grimace once e-mailed me asking if I needed to go home or was in pain, I explained and she didn't really say anything because I'm already that barefoot guy that stands up at work, so they come to expect this shit from me.

Choco, dude, your pro-treadmill or anti-outside running stance is pretty weak (blisters, really? I only got blisters once from running and it was from running barefoot on hot turf like an asshole). You're purposely running on a crappy, unstable and unnatural surface (by your own admission) when a better option is readily available. Just 'tween us girls, you're not running on a treadmill to check calories lost right? I ask cus I know you're fond of numbers. Is your area very crowded, like sort of NYC ish? then I could see you not wanting to run outside for crowds, lights, etc, but if you can find some backroads you should definitely do so. Get out there and breathe some fresh air. I can't stand gyms. Shit music, shit people doing shit machines, air conditioning drives me insane. I honestly can't think of a worst place to work out than a regular American gym.
    I live in Ardmore right outside of Philly. It's nothing but busted and crooked sidewalks, lots of pedestrians and traffic lights everywhere. Plus, I can't listen to music when I run because my phone flops out of my pocket. I prefer treadmills. And I really, strongly, brutally dislike running in the middle of winter...and summer. I prefer the controlled environment, the perfect distance measurement, the constant tabs on heart rate and pace and I like how treadmills keep your pace perfectly even, which is impossible when running outdoors. Not to mention I used to injure my iliotibial band constantly when I lived in Philadelphia from the uneven sidewalk - my right foot would plant 1"-2" below my left foot and I was constantly injured. Treadmills keep me much healthier, and they're way more natural than CONCRETE!
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

davem is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to bow out of this one. Enjoy.

You could stick it out with the KSOs and just realize you might just need to harden up.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Treadmills keep me much healthier, and they're way more natural than CONCRETE!
    chocoloco.

or locotaco.

davem is offline Senior Member
    locotaco.
    I had an ex I nicknamed that once.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you shouldnt be running in barefoot shoes... Not sure how old you are, but I found that running in Vibrams is not my pair of shoes if you excuse my pun. Sure, I might have the wrong technique, and over time I might get there, but more likely I'll get myself an Achilles tendonitis from h+ll first (which happens to be my weak spot).

What I am doing is that for long runs I wear my good old trainers. I wear my Vibrams for other sporty stuff, and sometimes for sprints. I might reconsider the whole thing in a year, but there is really no point risking foot injury - tendons heal very very slowly

bemental is offline Member
    Get out there and breathe some fresh air. I can't stand gyms. Shit music, shit people doing shit machines, air conditioning drives me insane. I honestly can't think of a worst place to work out than a regular American gym.
    COULDN'T AGREE WITH YOU MORE.

Anyway. I grew up in PA and spent a few years going to school in Maine so I absolutely understand the "necessity" that comes with an indoor environment and subsequently, a 'dread' mill. But honestly, why would anyone who follows primal, paleo, etc subject themselves to that environment willingly? Agreed. Weak argument dude.

Regardless, from what I do understand a treadmill significantly alters your stride, running form and muscle performance (the difference in propelling yourself against the ground versus having the tread propel you) and would highly suggest not running on it too often.

Finally, trust me when I understand your bias for keys and junk in your pockets when working out. I too hate such things and strive for minimalism as well. I magnet my keys to the wheel well of my car when I go for a jog somewhere backwoods and still haven't truly found out a solution to the headphones/phone thing - but honestly, you probably won't miss the music/podcasts as much as you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor Falk View Post
    Maybe you shouldnt be running in barefoot shoes... Not sure how old you are, but I found that running in Vibrams is not my pair of shoes if you excuse my pun. Sure, I might have the wrong technique, and over time I might get there, but more likely I'll get myself an Achilles tendonitis from h+ll first (which happens to be my weak spot).

What I am doing is that for long runs I wear my good old trainers. I wear my Vibrams for other sporty stuff, and sometimes for sprints. I might reconsider the whole thing in a year, but there is really no point risking foot injury - tendons heal very very slowly
    Interesting that you brought this up. I'm currently nursing a foot injury as we speak from running too hard and fast with the most minimalist version of the Vibrams I owned (was on a deployment, someone stole my shoes, long story I had to revert to the pair I typically do low impact stuff in like lift).

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I live in Ardmore right outside of Philly. It's nothing but busted and crooked sidewalks, lots of pedestrians and traffic lights everywhere.
    I remember my days in Philly back in 2001-2002. I lived at 42nd and Walnut for a year and I frequently took the bus/el to work on South Street and ran back in the wee hours of the morning when everyone was walking back to their homes/dorms hammered.

Personally, I loved the urban jungle and the running experience there. I used to ride my bike all over that city, crashing into cars and people.

A lot of what you mentioned regarding numbers and tracking is applicable since the main city blocks in Philly are approximately .10 miles, makes it easy to keep track of how far you've run (front street to 40th is approximately 3.7 miles depending on route.)

Again, just going to mention, there are plenty of people in that city who hate running in the urban jungle that is Philadelphia, and even I remember plenty of trails to run on within city limits. Even more, as you creep out a few miles, plenty of suburbs and little places to run along the river.

Gist of what I'm saying is, if you love running and the outdoors, while it might take a little extra work and planning there are plenty of places in and around Philly for you to explore with your feet.

If you enjoy the gym environment, so be it! That, and the fact that if you're feet are fine on trails and other outdoor surfaces and the treadmill is really the only place that gives you pain...
    Last edited by bemental; 07-27-2013 at 11:34 AM.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    try setting up a video on that side and see what occurs just b4
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Kyle46N is offline Senior Member
    Try running barefoot on the treadmill, and see if it still hurts that part of your foot. If so, you know it's not the Vibrams.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast