Thread: Anyone follow the recs from Primal Body, Primal Mind page

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member

Eating vlc with lower protein and higher fat (like Gedgaudas)

Primal Fuel
    I want to try Nora Gedgaudas' recommendations for sufficient protein and high fat, bit I can't get my head around how a meal would work. I'm so used to eating a lot of protein. Anyone else follow her ideas and could share some meal plans or a journal etc?
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 10-05-2011 at 01:14 PM.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Sonnenblume is offline Senior Member
    Nora´s book as well as her blog contain clearly false and poorly-researched information. CarbSane has blogged about it. I initially liked the ideas in the book but this really made me think...
    My Carb Sane-Asylum: The Dietary Source of Body Fat
    You can read more on the blog...I do not want to discourage you from following a nutrition system that feels plausible to you, you might just want to read before you try to struggle with a diet that seems difficult to establish!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnenblume View Post
    Nora´s book as well as her blog contain clearly false and poorly-researched information. CarbSane has blogged about it. I initially liked the ideas in the book but this really made me think...
    My Carb Sane-Asylum: The Dietary Source of Body Fat
    You can read more on the blog...I do not want to discourage you from following a nutrition system that feels plausible to you, you might just want to read before you try to struggle with a diet that seems difficult to establish!
    Thanks, I appreciate you sharing that info with me. Weightloss isn't really my goal though, to cut a long story short I've basically found myself in a place where I need to go vlc due to a health issue (it's in my siggy, I need to go starch free and can't tolerate any sugars either including fruit or even pure liquid glucose, vlc fixes it), but previously I've struggled with how I've felt on low carb. I thought it might be worth a try doing higher fat and seeing if I can persuade my body that it can fuel itself with fats. Maybe take some l-carnitine for a while as well. Got nothing to lose at this point.

I've not been much of a believer in the Taubes-style "carbs are the sourse of all evil" theory, and if it wasn't for the AS I'd be happily thriving on a higher carb version of paleo. But half a sweet potato two days in a row is enough to have every bone of my body aching, so got to find an alternative solution. I'd love to lose weight too, I am obese, but right now I settle for not being in pain and not feeling like I want to sleep all day.

Maybe I should retitle my post "anyone tried a lower protein, high fat, vlc diet" and distance myself from the book's factual inadequacies though!
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    So I did VLC for a while, used this as a guideline...http://advancedmediterraneandiet.com...ersion_2.3.pdf

Essentially I cooked in 'good' fats, ate a decent amount of veggies, use more 'fatty' meats vs. things like fish.

I think the beginning of my journal is pretty much VLC with moderate protein. I was in the neighborhood of less than 20g of carb, less than 80g protein and the rest fat.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 (a 4:3) fast diet with real food.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I went VLC for a while, just ate some meat and a ton of fat.

Her book is hit and miss, but some of the supplementation suggestions are money.

Fury is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnenblume View Post
    Nora´s book as well as her blog contain clearly false and poorly-researched information.
    I'll second that.

When I saw someone quote only a few paragraphs from her book (the protein recommendations) red flags went up immediately.
    I'm still unsure if its just a math error or intentional deception, but her protein recommendation ends up being about 40% lower than they should be using her own examples, math & references.

She references a series of studies on athletic performance & muscle retention using between 1.2g and 1.75g of protein/kg and then says that "translates into 60 to 80g of protein per day", but that's only valid for someone in the 100-110LB LBM range, and the majority of people are overweight/obese
    As someone who isn't a short and thin woman it's important to me to know that even the studies she's butchering would have fed someone with 150LB of LBM between 80-116g of protein daily
    Last edited by Fury; 10-05-2011 at 02:09 PM.

PrimalCon New York
    Thanks. I was thinking of going a bit higher with protein that her recs, certainly to begin with. I've been eating 40gish per meal for about 10 yrs and going lc wouldn't be the time to change that as well.

Harold Whitman