Thread: Organic Foods page

polymurphism is offline Junior Member

Organic Foods

Primal Fuel
    Is it really better to get organic everything? Or for some products does it not matter? If not which ones?

Thanks

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    Depends on a few things. Are you buying organic for health or environmental reasons? What foods are we talking about? I consider grass fed beef and dairy and pastured poultry to be of the utmost importance. I believe the pork I get is well treated also but I don't know about organic. I try to be buy local and organic when I can with fruit and veggies but I probably think local is more important. I don't think that organic cheez-its are better than regular cheez-its for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by glorth2 View Post
    Depends on a few things. Are you buying organic for health or environmental reasons? What foods are we talking about? I consider grass fed beef and dairy and pastured poultry to be of the utmost importance. I believe the pork I get is well treated also but I don't know about organic. I try to be buy local and organic when I can with fruit and veggies but I probably think local is more important. I don't think that organic cheez-its are better than regular cheez-its for instance.
    I have been buying organic meat, fruits, and vegetables. I plan on buying those for sure. I want to avoid eating meat that was fed unhealthy food as well as hormones and things like that. I also want to avoid plants that have may have been grown with harmful chemicals. I guess my question pertains to things I'm not as sure about.

For example, are organic nuts and different than "regular" nuts. What about spices or things like honey?

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    For example, are organic nuts and different than "regular" nuts. What about spices or things like honey?
    I think Mark said that nuts are fine because less than 1% of nuts sold in the States are organic. Just watch the ingredients, lots are roasted in canola (or equally bad) oils.

We don't buy organic dry spiced but we do if we're buying fresh. One thing to remember with spices is the small amounts you're ingesting. While organic is best, the small amounts won't hurt you as much. Just my opinion on them anyway.

We've started buying local honey, it may be organic but I don't know. It's got to be better than mysterious store-bought.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

awm8604 is offline Member
    For honey, I don't see there being much of a difference between organic and non-organic compared to other products. What's more important is if the honey is raw. Raw honey is far superior to pasteurized honey in many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by awm8604 View Post
    For honey, I don't see there being much of a difference between organic and non-organic compared to other products. What's more important is if the honey is raw. Raw honey is far superior to pasteurized honey in many ways.
    Are all raw foods preferable to pasteurized?

ib4student is offline Member
    http://whole9life.com/wp-content/upl...duce-guide.pdf
    Don't eat plants marked with a red D if they aren't organic. Plants marked with a C are just fine if they aren't organic. Everything else, try to shoot for organic anyway, but getting good meat should be the priority.

Quote Originally Posted by ib4student View Post
    http://whole9life.com/wp-content/upl...duce-guide.pdf
    Don't eat plants marked with a red D if they aren't organic. Plants marked with a C are just fine if they aren't organic. Everything else, try to shoot for organic anyway, but getting good meat should be the priority.
    Thanks, that helps a lot! Anyone know of any additional resources like this?

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Local honey is also good for things like allergies.