Thread: Age-related Macular Degeneration and Omega-3 page

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Praise the good fats:

"Data from the present study also shows the supplements and omega-3 fatty acids collaborate with low-dietary glycemic index (dGI) diets against progression to advanced AMD,"

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-ofa061809.php

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Trinkwasser Guest

Excellent news!

Mother had Wet AMD is one eye which was considered to be not cost effective to treat. So I try to take care of her one remaining functional eye which has dry AMD. I feed her lots of fish and Real Meat anyway, and also ensure she has plenty of stuff from this list

http://www.macular-degeneration-vitamins.com/index.htm

which we mostly get from dietary sources (also they are good for my diabetes)

So far the eye has not gotten much worse

Pity I can't persuade her to cut down on the carbs though but at 93 she's pretty set in her ways

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Glad to hear it. At age 50, my eyesight is crap (near-sightedness and astigmatism) even without macular degeneration. Wish I could do something about these damned varicose floaters. I've had them all my life, but they've gotten so bad over the past several years that sometimes it looks like I'm walking through a cloud of microorganisms.

Trinkwasser Guest

Don't know enough about them to suggest anything specific, except lots of coloured veggies and fruits/berries for the bioflavinoids, antioxidants etc. (plus salmon and prawns for the astaxanthin) at worst this may help prevent any other conditions from adding to your woes

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Yeah, I already eat all that stuff. Makes me think I'd be blind by now if I didn't!

Parallels the stuff you hear about how exercise is good for your brain. I wonder how forgetful I'd be if I didn't exercise!