Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easing on Up: Take Two with PB and LR page

Heidi is offline Senior Member

Easing on Up: Take Two with PB and LR

Shop Now
    It's time for me to forge ahead with PB and the Leptin Reset. Ever since signing up for Weight Watchers, I've been backsliding on healthy eating. Having someone weigh me every week and tsk tsk over .4 of a lb gained is demoralizing. Listening to others talk about the magnificence of whole grains, fat-free products, and artificial sweeteners has not been motivational. Getting caught up in doing lots of hard exercise in order to gain more activity points is not a good state of mind to be in. This is not the fault of Weight Watchers. I just consider this a learning experience and will happily move on in November (when my membership runs out).

I've decided that I need a weekly goal. Nothing like "to lose 2" on my waist" or "2 lbs on the scale" because those kind of goals have never worked out for me in the past. Instead, I'll focus on the processes. That way I don't have to fret over faulty outcomes.

So, without further ado, here are my WEEK 1 Goals:

1. Three meals a day. No snacking.
    2. Two tbsp of coconut oil daily.
    3. Eat vegetables every day.
    4. Lift heavy things.
    5. Be positive.

That's it. I'll strive for more, like no grains and sugar, but I really don't want to overwhelm myself by making too many commitments. I expect to make my way back to a primal LR by the end of this month.
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

Day 1 went okay. Ate 3 meals, had some carrots, lifted heavy things, and maintained some positivity. I totally forgot about the coconut oil until late last night and honestly there was no way I was going to scarf down 2 tbsp before bedtime. It felt so good to lift weights again. Can't believe I had allowed myself to get caught up in excessive cardio. Live and learn. (Now that 90s song is in my head...who sang it? hmmm)

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Woot woot! Good luck! Why two tbsp of coconut oil daily?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Namelesswonder, I was reading the Perfect Health Diet book and the authors say coconut oil's short-chain fats are good for increasing HDL and killing off bacteria, parasites, fungi, and viruses. Plus there was a study done with obese women who ate 2 tbsp of coconut oil a day and improved their body composition. I need all the help I can get to lose fat, so I figure eating coconut oil is a small thing to do to help my cause.

Today is the day I set up a daily food plan. I was hesitant to do this because of my tendency to be all-or-nothing and binge when the plan goes even slightly off track. But I made a promise to myself to use this food plan as just a guideline. If I follow it to a tee one day, great. If not, that's okay too. I will not judge myself too harshly. (Like that ever got me anywhere but extra fat. )

In other news, I realized that my ice cream binge of choice prior to PB had trans fats in it. Not just hidden in the ingredient list, but the amount was enough to be labeled in the nutritional facts. And I fed my kids that ice cream!!! Bad mommy!

Got off track today. Ugh!!!! I'm finding myself turning to junk under stress from my kids. Parenting used to be easy when it was just my daughter. Throw a son into the mix and all hell breaks loose. My main focus will be figuring out a plan for taming his crabby ways, lol. "Never give up!" is my motto of the day. I will survive and even learn to thrive!

NorCalGirlDiver is offline Senior Member
    Jump back in - you can do it! Having raised 4 kids and the six of us were eating 3 different ways at the same time, I feel qualified to tell you that you CAN do it. It just takes a little planning and resolve. My kids are too old for me to monitor everything that goes into their mouths so I just do my best to cook healthy dinners and have healthy choices around the house. On of my sons used to have major meltdowns every afternoon - after cutting grains from his lunches it improved dramatically. I should have known back then (12 years ago) that we should have cut them completely.

Thanks for the encouragement, NorCal. Getting my 3 yr old off the grains seems like a distant dream right about now. He a very picky eater and won't touch any fruits, vegetables, or meat (besides bacon sometimes). He's such a thin kid as it is, I worry about him getting in enough nutrients. He was taking gummy vitamins, but now refuses them. So today I caved during shopping and got him the cereal and crackers he likes. I just couldn't stand to see him go hungry anymore. I've tried so many tricks to make nutritious food more appetizing, but nothing works.

NorCalGirlDiver is offline Senior Member
    Hang in there - he will broaden his food choices eventually. My youngest (not the meltdown kid) survived on peanut butter and bread for the first 1/2 of his life. He is now a healthy and adventurous eater. I always enforced a 2 bite minimum on everything and after trying things 4 or 5 or 10 times, they eventually agree not to hate everything!

You have probably already tried these but my middle son lived on these items when I cut grains from his lunches (he still had them at breakfast and dinner):

Beef Jerky - he probably would have starved without it
    Meat & Cheese - salami and cheddar slices, salami rolled up with cream cheese, ham rolled up with cream cheese,
    Rice crackers - still a grain, I know... but better than wheat
    carrot sticks - at first he did not like them but I never allowed snacking before dinner unless it was fruit or veggie (they could have unlimited fruits and veggies)
    Peanuts - now I would have substituted almonds but back then it was peanuts.
    Apple slices with peanut butter - my kids would never just eat an apple, I had to slice them up thin and then they would. Now I would switch it out for almond butter.

By the way - now that they are adults they admit that the beef jerky was "Solid Gold" for trading but most of the time they ended up regretting the trade.

Thanks for the suggestions. Most of the time, he won't even take a bite and it's with food he hasn't even given a try yet. It's been a long time since I've gotten salami--used to get the Hormel natural brand--so that's worth a try. I've tried to replace the wheat crackers with corn crackers and that was a no-go, but maybe rice will work better. He does like rice pasta sometimes. He did eat apple slices in the past. Lately he hasn't been wanting them, but the almond butter could change that.

The story of your youngest gives me hope. I needed to hear that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast