Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: New food journal tool for PB - PaleoTrack page 8

barefootmerle is offline Junior Member
    I'm liking it so far and everything I've though of has been mentioned except for one thing... when you type in a food, the list can be overwhelming and somewhat odd.

For example, tonight we had baked chicken legs, so I searched for 'chicken leg'. The first thing that comes up is "Chicken, broilers or fryers, leg, meat only, raw". Raw, really? It's coming up a lot on several different items. Do we need a raw meat option?

We also had broiled fresh asparagus, but there are only selections for raw, frozen, canned, or boiled. :-\

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barefootmerle View Post
    I'm liking it so far and everything I've though of has been mentioned except for one thing... when you type in a food, the list can be overwhelming and somewhat odd.

For example, tonight we had baked chicken legs, so I searched for 'chicken leg'. The first thing that comes up is "Chicken, broilers or fryers, leg, meat only, raw". Raw, really? It's coming up a lot on several different items. Do we need a raw meat option?

We also had broiled fresh asparagus, but there are only selections for raw, frozen, canned, or boiled. :-\
    I usually default to using raw since I don't know what oil the 'cooked' variety is in and such. I figure tracking all my raw ingredients is best. I don't do much boiling so I'm not to worried about losing nutrients.

crogagnon is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    I usually default to using raw since I don't know what oil the 'cooked' variety is in and such. I figure tracking all my raw ingredients is best. I don't do much boiling so I'm not to worried about losing nutrients.
    Noctiluca is doing it right! When you pick a cooked version, it is assumed it is cooked in a restaurant with industrial vegetable oils. If you are making the meal yourself, always pick the raw ingredients and then add the fat that you used, e.g., butter, coconut oil, lard, etc.

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    I've tried both Fitday and Cronometer. they both have features that I don't like...so I'm definitely going to check this one out and provide feedback when I can!

TheBrawny is offline Junior Member
    You might also want to work on the search result filtering. If i search for "butterleaf lettuce" i get nothing. If i search for just "lettuce" then one of the returned results is "Lettuce, butterleaf". I should have been able to find it using the first search term.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrawny View Post
    You might also want to work on the search result filtering. If i search for "butterleaf lettuce" i get nothing. If i search for just "lettuce" then one of the returned results is "Lettuce, butterleaf". I should have been able to find it using the first search term.
    I was scared for a second there, but I just checked, and there is no butterleaf lettuce in the database. If I search for "lettuce" or "butterhead lettuce" I find "Lettuce, butterhead". But there is no butterleaf lettuce in the database.

TheBrawny is offline Junior Member
    D'oh. My bad. Perhaps then some "similar item" results for those of use who fatfinger the search terms?

jennf is offline Senior Member
    I'm finding that my O6:O3 ratios are off due to not being able to enter items that are grass fed or pastured except for beef. Do I need to enter these in as a custom food? If so, does anyone have a resource that I could use to estimate O6:O3 ratios for these foods?

Quote Originally Posted by jennf View Post
    I'm finding that my O6:O3 ratios are off due to not being able to enter items that are grass fed or pastured except for beef. Do I need to enter these in as a custom food? If so, does anyone have a resource that I could use to estimate O6:O3 ratios for these foods?
    Unfortunately, there is very little information out there (I've looked). But, I'm still searching and if I do find enough data, I will be adding all the grass-fed varieties of beef.

However, I'm afraid people will get a nasty surprise that grass-fed beef is not a good source of omega-3. It is healthier, more humane, and better for the environment, but there's still more omega-6 than omega-3, so if you eat nuts, avocados, or other sources of omega-6, grass-fed beef won't be enough to bring down your ratio, you'll have to eat fish or supplement with fish oil.

annierobic is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Love it! Thank you!

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast