Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: New food journal tool for PB - PaleoTrack page 4

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by HayMaker View Post
    it would be nice to build a list of "favorite foods" that you tend to eat frequently, secondly, the ability to enter and store recipes would be nice - it's rather tedious to enter all of the ingredients for some meals.
    +1

Pineneedles is offline Senior Member
    I've been using Paleotrack for three weeks now. It's great not to get told off for having too much saturated fat!

Happy with what's there but the following additions would be welcome (I know I'm echoing what others have said):
    -Ability to add recipes. I used to use Calorie Count where you could type the recipe in a box and it would then let you check the ingredients it had found to match. e.g. You type in "100g onions" and it would link that to the food entry "onions, raw".
    -Ability to copy food over to the next day in the same quantity.
    -Ability to change the quantity of food once it has been logged.
    -A simple weight tracker log.
    -Activity tracker would be nice but I can live without it.

I know in a primal/paleo diet there is a lot of empphasis on choosing grass-fed meat and dairy for the omega 3 benefit. I don't know if there is accurate data on this anywhere but since Paleotrack is tracking Omega 6 and 3 ratios, the ability to select grass-fed foods would be really interesting.

Thank you for creating such a great tool!

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineneedles View Post
    I've been using Paleotrack for three weeks now. It's great not to get told off for having too much saturated fat!

I know in a primal/paleo diet there is a lot of empphasis on choosing grass-fed meat and dairy for the omega 3 benefit. I don't know if there is accurate data on this anywhere but since Paleotrack is tracking Omega 6 and 3 ratios, the ability to select grass-fed foods would be really interesting.

Thank you for creating such a great tool!
    I appreciate the tool as well. However, I am getting yelled at for eating too much omega-6. It's true that my PUFA was 4.6% of my total calories, but my o6 : o3 ratio is 2.3:1 (which is fine). I don't think it takes into account that the 16oz ribeye I ate was grassfed and thus has more o3 than what is reported. However, I can't tell if they do/don't calculate the o3 in the ribeye since it's not on the nutrition label. That is fine, I just am tired of tracking sites telling me what I am doing wrong. I know wtf I am doing. Give me an option to turn that shit off. Thanks.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

crogagnon is offline Member
    Thanks you so much everyone for the support and feedback.

I'm currently working on:
    • Adding recipes
    • Adding the same favorite foods

Those are the most requested features. It should be ready soon.

I've been researching the iPhone app and it's complicated. I have to buy a Mac, pay Apple $100, learn their API, and then spend weeks coding the app. I would have to charge a lot for the app just to break even from buying the Mac ($1000 minimum), paying the $100 fee, and giving Apple 30% of the revenues. And that's just to break even--it wouldn't even include my time. That sucks.

Instead, I think a mobile web version that looks and behaves like a native app would be the best compromise. It would work on other phones too (Android, Blackberry, Windows, etc) What do you think? Would you pay for a mobile web version instead of a native app?

crogagnon is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    I appreciate the tool as well. However, I am getting yelled at for eating too much omega-6. It's true that my PUFA was 4.6% of my total calories, but my o6 : o3 ratio is 2.3:1 (which is fine). I don't think it takes into account that the 16oz ribeye I ate was grassfed and thus has more o3 than what is reported. However, I can't tell if they do/don't calculate the o3 in the ribeye since it's not on the nutrition label. That is fine, I just am tired of tracking sites telling me what I am doing wrong. I know wtf I am doing. Give me an option to turn that shit off. Thanks.
    I agree it's not perfect and can be annoying. The problem is, I haven't found any conclusive data that grass-fed beef has far less o6 than grain-fed. I found only a few records from the USDA, but there really isn't that much of a difference in o6 and o3 according to their research. I know Mark Sissons, Robb Wolf, and everyone in the primal/paleo world says grass-fed is better, and I believe it is better for our health, for the environment, and the well-being of the cows, but I need some hard data for my database in order to generate the nutrition report and calculate ratios.

Perhaps you are right and the solution is to allow disabling the warning. I did put it in yellow so that is wasn't as aggressive as a red flag. I'M NOT YELLING AT YOU!

Clabbergirl is offline Senior Member
    I don't mind the yellow warning - it keeps me sort of aware of Omega 3 needs as it is right now. As for the cost of an iphone app - holy cow. It doesn't really matter to me if what you come up with is either web based or an app on the phone...it would be handy to have something when mobile. But then again, you're doing this for free and I'm just glad there are kind and enterprising folks like you out there to produce it in the first place.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Actually, there isn't less or more o6 in grass fed beef, just less o3, so it throws off the ratio. And I appreciate you listening. Most developers that I have worked with take all this shit personally and it just makes them seem like whiny brats. I whole-heartedly support your project.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    Actually, there isn't less or more o6 in grass fed beef, just less o3, so it throws off the ratio.
    Really? Can you post where you read that? Because I would love to verify it. It makes my plan of gorging on sushi once a week to make up for any grain-fed meat I eat seem a lot more doable...
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clabbergirl View Post
    I don't mind the yellow warning - it keeps me sort of aware of Omega 3 needs as it is right now. As for the cost of an iphone app - holy cow. It doesn't really matter to me if what you come up with is either web based or an app on the phone...it would be handy to have something when mobile. But then again, you're doing this for free and I'm just glad there are kind and enterprising folks like you out there to produce it in the first place.
    Agreed. Can always access the site via a mobile device anyway, it's just a native app or mobile view of website is a little more user friendly, but not a major.

I'd concentrate on working on your main site for now. You could always work with/throw it out to other mobile app devs to build...
    For instance, someone like this might be interested in collaborating on a mobile app. He's already built one based on Robb Wolf's paleo food matrix, which is available for free on Windows and Android platforms (don't know about iPhone).

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I think that was meant to say 'less or more 06 in GRAIN-fed beef, just less 03', right?

And I think a few basic items still need to go onto the default menus. There's no pan-cooked broccoli or salmon. The broccoli expects me to boil it if I don't eat it raw. Who is out there boiling away all the nutrients in their broccoli, and why are they doing it? And the salmon lists a few species cooked a few different ways, but doesn't include pan-cooking pink salmon.

Does paleo track discern healthy 06 from unhealthy 06? Mine came from black olives and avocados. That's perfectly safe. Why the flag?
    Last edited by Knifegill; 10-19-2011 at 05:57 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast