Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: New food journal tool for PB - PaleoTrack page 14

JVib is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I just found the tracker. It is Awesome! Thank you very much for building it.
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

aspencer15 is offline Junior Member
    This is a great tool! I love how simple it is. I've always been frustrated by other online trackers that have multiple screens, and too many things going on. This is great! And from what I can tell by reading through this thread is that you do this in your free time on top on another job? If so (and even if not ) my hat is off to you! Thank you!

AliceH is offline Member
    I love this concept!

A couple of thoughts...

Your real competition on this isn't Fitday, it's MyFitnessPal. Much better web app than Fitday, very customizable, but its base recommendations trend toward a non-Primal/Paleo approach and I get tired of having to reset my macros every time I tweak something, and its "If you ate like this every day you'd weight XXX in 5 weeks" is just plain annoying in its wrongness. One of the big features MFP has that neither Fitday nor PaleoTrack has is the ability to add a custom food, and it's shared (with a designation that it's a user-entered food, and the ability for other users to confirm it) with every other user. This comes in very handy with restaurant eating; their database is large/used enough that I haven't found many restaurant choices that aren't in it.

I think at some point adding a method for tracking weight, measurements, and activity is essential - I'm not normally an advocate of an app doing everything, but weight, measurements, and activity are all tied to why we feel the need to track food, so being able to view the data in the same place makes sense.

At some point, being able to customize which flags appear for a food would be nice - butter throws up a red dairy flag, but it's widely used in Primal eating. (I get the feeling you're lumping Paleo and Primal together, and they are similar, but there are some notable differences: What’s the Difference Between Primal and Paleo? | Mark's Daily Apple)

And speaking of red - you're using red as a warning flag on foods that don't fit Paleo, but then when you look at your main pie chart, you're using red to designate protein. Mixed signals there - red is generally a warning color, so I think it's a good choice for the warning flags, maybe not so much for the protein.

And finally...In Firefox and Chrome (haven't checked IE) you've got an issue on the journal page with div#pf.clearfix.content when clicking on a plus sign next to a nutrient measurement. I think what you're trying to do is surround the measurements with a defining box, but instead it jumps up to the first name in the column, and displays as half-height.

Are you banging your head on the desk yet?

crogagnon is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AliceH View Post
    Are you banging your head on the desk yet?
    Wow, you know your stuff. If I had money, I would hire you to help.

autopilot is offline Junior Member
    Thanks crogagnon! Great tracker and I use it daily.

A few of the same niggles that others have mentioned, but hey, it's free and a wonderful resource. If you get to them, great, if not, still great. Kudos.

Great new changes today. Thank you Crogagnon.
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

crogagnon is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JVib View Post
    Damn, you beat me to the punch!

Yes, I finally found some free time from the day job, so I was able to add a few of the features that were the most requested:
    - You can now add food to tomorrow's journal, for those who like to plan their meals ahead.
    - You can now edit the quantities of foods in your journal, instead of deleting and re-adding them.
    - You can now see nutrients per food in your journal, so you can find out where those omega-6 are coming from.

I also refreshed the design a little and fixed a few browser bugs.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and encouraging words. I will now have more time to add more features and make changes on a regular basis... so keep sharing!

parakeet is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JVib View Post
    I second this! Just logged on to input my info today and love what you have done. Your tracker is, hands down, the best. Thanks!!!

This tracker is absolutely fantastic! I've always been worried that I was not balancing my Omega 6's and 3's. With the tracker I found that I am actually doing very well at balancing them. It helps me to stick with my meal plan. It has also shown me that it is more difficult to stay below 50g of carbs per day than I thought, even with eating only fibrous veggies. Thanks again Crogagnon.

ravingkiko is offline Member
    Looks super. I'm switching from myfitnesspal.com. Thanks!

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast