Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: New food journal tool for PB - PaleoTrack page 13

crogagnon is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Hi!

Unfortunately, there's no way to edit a custom food yet, I never got around to it. It's coming, however.

When adding a custom food, there's two options.
    I want to enter individual nutrients.
    and
    I want to enter basic values from a food label.

Choose the first to enter values for any of the nutrients, e.g., for supplements or your omega eggs, and use the second for processed foods that you have a simple food label for.

Hope that helps. Soon I will finally have some free time to work on PaleoTrack, and I plan on adding lots of new features and fixing existing issues.

Marc

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Marc, I just tried this today and love it!!! Thank you!

I do have a couple initial questions...

will you sometime differentiate between regular eggs and pasture/organic?

I am having difficulty with the chicken choices... Can't figure out if some of the fryer/roasters are from certain packaged chickens...there are so many choices and I just want to put in some breast, skin and dar meat from a free range local farmed chicken

Is the main almond choice for RAW almonds?

Do you have a plan to add in more lettuce choices like spring mix for example

Will you someday make the paleo % calculate more than 100% and 0%? I'd love a ratio!

THANK YOU for this program!

Hi Kerry, I'm glad you love it, thanks!

I'm working hard on finding some nutrition info on pastured eggs/chicken and grass-fed/pastured beef/lamb. I might have found a source... but it's not for sure yet. I'll make an announcement once I add them to the database.

As for the chicken, I would search for "roasting chicken". There are plenty of choices. If you just want a gross estimate, you can select "meat and skin" but if you want to specify how much white/dark meat and skin you ate, you can select "dark meat" and "white meat" individually.

Sorry, I don't know if the "Nuts, almonds" is raw or not. As for the lettuce, you could do like I did and create a "recipe" with each baby green, e.g., "beet greens", "dandelion greens", "mustard greens", etc.

As for the paleo percentage, that would be a fun thing to add, but I have no idea who would decide the magic algorithm for that one. Could you image the religious wars I could start if I told someone they were only 95% paleo because they fried their eggs in pastured butter?!? Or I tell Mark Sisson he's only 72% paleo because he ate dark chocolate and drank a cup of wine?

You would find my head on a stake!

birthdance is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crogagnon View Post
    When you pick a cooked version, it is assumed it is cooked in a restaurant with industrial vegetable oils. If you are making the meal yourself, always pick the raw ingredients and then add the fat that you used, e.g., butter, coconut oil, lard, etc.
    Oh no, really?? I've been doing it wrong! No wonder my omega 6s look so high! Maybe it's because I'm Australian and we just don't eat out as much, or maybe I'm nieve and thought everyone cooked at home, but I was assuming the 'cooked' option was just referring purely to whether it was raw or cooked. Is this info available on the site? Maybe you could make it clearer?

Quote Originally Posted by SophieE View Post
    An option to mention sun exposure to influence the vitamin d %
    This would be great, but probably hard to calculate accurately.

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    HA HA, I see the problem with the ratio...

Thanks for the responses and help (and thanks to your response to birthdance I now understand the raw bit, too.

Again, thanks for the great program.

Skirlie is offline Junior Member
    Noctiluca is doing it right! When you pick a cooked version, it is assumed it is cooked in a restaurant with industrial vegetable oils. If you are making the meal yourself, always pick the raw ingredients and then add the fat that you used, e.g., butter, coconut oil, lard, etc.
    This is absolutely false. If you read the documentation for the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference it tells you how they chose the samples and the cooking methods for each food group. They have a separate database for restaurant cooked food.

It's annoying that your sources aren't referenced, but it looks like a cut and paste of the USDA nutrient database. Which IMO is a terrible source for a good Paleo/PB tracker. All the sample foods are conventionally produced and sourced from retail outlets, except for the meat which is sourced from conventional slaughter houses. This is complete opposition to primal/paleo principles of organic and local. If you believe the whole PB theory that eating local, organic, grass-fed is better for your health why would tracking what you eat with CW data be useful?

BygoneCat is offline Member
    I really, really appreciate this tool and am using it daily- thank you crogagnon! If a food is not in the database - such as kerrygold butter or whatever, I enter it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by birthdance View Post
    Oh no, really?? I've been doing it wrong! No wonder my omega 6s look so high! Maybe it's because I'm Australian and we just don't eat out as much, or maybe I'm nieve and thought everyone cooked at home, but I was assuming the 'cooked' option was just referring purely to whether it was raw or cooked. Is this info available on the site? Maybe you could make it clearer?
    Sorry about that, it's not your fault, I should make it clearer on the site. Most of the nutrition data I found is from the USDA, and when they cook the food, they do it the "conventional wisdom" way, with industrial vegetable oils. So, I was trying to contextualize it, knowing someone who is primal would never cook with industrial vegetable oils, only using the "cooked" entries when eating out at a non-primal friend's house or a restaurant.

Skirlie is offline Junior Member
    Sorry about that, it's not your fault, I should make it clearer on the site. Most of the nutrition data I found is from the USDA, and when they cook the food, they do it the "conventional wisdom" way, with industrial vegetable oils. So, I was trying to contextualize it, knowing someone who is primal would never cook with industrial vegetable oils, only using the "cooked" entries when eating out at a non-primal friend's house or a restaurant.
    No they do not. The documentation that they provided with all those handy nutrient values you got from them explain exactly how they cook their samples. Maybe 100 pages of footnotes wasn't on your reading to-do list, but it is really telling information about the quality of the data you're providing.

If you'd like to provide other sources that contradict directly the USDA's own documentation then feel free to post it here.

Blackbird is offline Senior Member
    To no-one in particular:

This is a work in progress. It is being provided for free and being worked on. Relax.

Or, go write your own tracker.

To crogagnon:

Thanks for taking the time to start this and put it out there.

(fueled by my dislike of nitpickers as opposed to people who have offered helpful suggestions)
    "Wait! I'll fix it!"
    "Problems always disappear in the presence of a technician."
    "If you can't improvise, what are you doing out in the field?"

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast