Thread: The good word about nuts... page

shifty1 is offline Senior Member

The good word about nuts...

Shop Now
    Hey Guys,

Wanted to ask you advice on something.

I was under the impression that nuts were a "goto" food when keeping primal. On some of the threads I have been reading, people have stated that eating a large amount of nuts may stop weight/fat loss.

Why I ask this is that I get threw my day by eating alot of nuts. I make them up into bars/squares, which are mixed with a little dried fruit, egg, and spices. As I am limited in kitchen access, I make a batch of this up at the start of the week and it becomes my "goto" food...

I wanted to know if this is hampering my lifestyle change. Doing all I can to stay primal, but this last few months have been a test...

Let me know what you think the good world is....

-Shifty
    Shifty's primal journey 2.0 -The daily online account of Shifty's journey in a un-primal world!

Starting weight - 2.11.13 - 96 kg
    Starting measurement - waist - 116cm
    Numbers change every 50 days

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    They're primal but have mucho calories. Apparently also plateau causing. Might want to watch. I've gone from nuts and berries for every lunch to salmon salads.

Quote Originally Posted by glorth2 View Post
    Apparently also plateau causing.
    This would very much be the case for me. Once I stepped things up and tried my best to be as Primal as possible (added nuts as a main bases for eating) my weight seems to stabilise very quickly... (Sigh)

How much is too much then?

-Shifty
    Shifty's primal journey 2.0 -The daily online account of Shifty's journey in a un-primal world!

brachiate is offline Senior Member
    Bear in mind they're high in omega 6 and phytates so large amounts are counterproductive to health as well as weight loss:

http://chriskresser.com/another-reas...o-nuts-on-nuts

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    More than a small handful each day is too much for me. Maybe 1/4 cup?

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Also, define nuts. Almonds aren't even technically nuts. There's a big difference between peanuts and hazelnuts.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    It depends on what else you are eating, and if you can control your nut intake. Nuts are high in Omega 6 (save for walnuts), phytic acids (do you soak them)?, calories, are a combination of fat and carb, and are easy to overindulge in particulary in a trail-mix kind of situation. From what you've said, it is likely that you have created your primal candy, and nuts should be treated more as flavoring rather than a staple. 1 oz is a good limit.

If you need a handy snack, you can't go wrong with boiled eggs. People generally would eat hard-boiled eggs only when hungry and stop when full (there are always exception, obviously). I also make eggplant cavaiar as a low calories substitute for nut butter, lol.

Properly soaked beans imo are superior to nuts as food!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Also, define nuts. Almonds aren't even technically nuts. There's a big difference between peanuts and hazelnuts.
    I use Walnuts, Almonds and Hazelnuts. I also use some cranberries and some dried mango. two eggs, and sone nutmeg and cinnamon.
    They are all the main ingredients. I don't eat peanuts...

-Shifty

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    From what you've said, it is likely that you have created your primal candy, and nuts should be treated more as flavoring rather than a staple. 1 oz is a good limit.
    Thast what I was worried about. As things have moved on, I have relied on these bars as my main form of nutrition. Its just due to living at a bording school, and not having access to a kitchen. I'm glad I asked around. Looks like I am back to vegetables and cottage cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    If you need a handy snack, you can't go wrong with boiled eggs. People generally would eat hard-boiled eggs only when hungry and stop when full (there are always exception, obviously).
    Good idea. I think I will hard boil some eggs and start using them as snacks.

[QUOTE=Leida;589431I also make eggplant cavaiar as a low calories substitute for nut butter, lol. [/QUOTE]

Care to share the recipe?

-Shifty