Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yeah but bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste good. -- Pulp Fiction page

mmmpork is offline Member

Yeah but bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste good. -- Pulp Fiction

Primal Fuel
    I started on the Primal Blueprint diet in July, doing a combo of Primal Blueprint + Weston A. Price/Nourishing Traditions. I wasn't really seeing results so I started eating whole, sprouted grains. After a few weeks I felt really crappy and had gained 5 pounds. I decided to get back on the wagon.

I spent a few weeks not really tracking my food, but avoiding legumes and grains. No results. I signed up for fitday.com and started logging what I was eating. I discovered I was over 100g of carbs a day because of fruits like bananas, pineapple, and grapes. I was eating at least 4 servings of fruit a day! I cut the fruit down so I just eat berries and 1 apple on days I bike to work.

I got some Ketostix to help me track if I'm in ketosis. They have been super helfpul and while not 100% accurate I highly recommend them!

For LHT I do Pilates 1-2x per week for 60 min and at least one day of PB exercises.
    For Move Slowly I bike to work 5 mi each way 2-3x per week, swim laps, and walk a lot.
    For sprinting I will take on a big hill on my bike as fast as a I can.

My biggest challenge right now is eating enough calories. My base calorie rate according to fitday.com is about 2400 and I really struggle to eat enough. I usually eat around 2000 if I don't make a conscious effort to eat extra at meals. After a few 2,000 calorie days in a row I feel generally fatigued and foggy.
    Last edited by mmmpork; 10-04-2011 at 11:47 PM.

8am
    B: 12 oz raw milk, Hard boiled duck egg, 1/4 c cheese, 1 Nutty Protein Ball (PB Quick and Easy Meals) with goji berries and cocoa nibs in place of the blueberries

9-9:30am:
    Biked 5 miles to work

10am:
    1 apple

12:45pm
    S: 1/4c of cheese

2:30pm
    L: 12 oz raw milk, Broccoli Quiche (PB Quick and Easy Meals) with bacon and cheese

4:00pm
    S: 1 Nutty Protein Ball (PB Quick and Easy Meals) with goji berries and cocoa nibs in place of the blueberries

5:15-5:45pm
    Biked home from work, 5 mi

6:30pm
    D: Spaghetti Squash with Meat Ragu (PB Quick and Easy Meals) with Kobe beef instead of buffalo

6:55-7:00pm
    Bike .7 mi to gym

7-8pm
    LHT at gym

8-8:05pm
    Bike .7 mi home from gym

9:30pm
    S: 1/4c cheese, 8oz raw milk

10:00pm
    Ketostix Result - Moderate

Fitday stats
    Calories Consumed: 2,459
    Calories Burned: 2,928
    Net Carbs: 91
    Total Fat: 180
    Total Protein: 109
    Last edited by mmmpork; 10-05-2011 at 12:03 AM.

8:00am
    IF

11:30am
    Biometrics Testing!
    Height 5'6.5"
    Weight 175
    BMI (formula) 28.5
    Waist 28
    Blood Pressure 123/70
    Total Cholesterol 221mg
    HDL Cholesterol 91mg
    Risk Ratio 2.4
    Glucose (fasting) 70

12:30
    Nutty Protein Balls (from PB Quick and Easy Meals) with goji berries and cocoa nibs

2:00
    Steak with Romesco Sauce (from PB Quick and Easy Meals) scraped off most of the sauce, just wanted the steak
    Tangerine

6:45-7:45
    Walked around downtown Seattle running errands, 2 mi

8:00
    Broccoli Quiche (from PB Quick and Easy Meals) with bacon and cheese
    12 oz raw milk

Supplements:
    1 teaspoon Green Pastures High Vitamin Fermented Cod Liver Oil (10,000 IU Vit A; 2,000 IU Vit D)
    1 drop Vit D from sheeps wool in Olive Oil (2,000 IU Vit D)
    1 teaspoon Dolomite Powder (1,100 mg Calcium Carbonate, 630 mg Magnesium Carbonate, 2 mg Iron)

Totals (via FitDay)
    Calories 1,893
    Fat 146.3
    Saturated 62.4
    Polyunsaturated 19.1
    Monounsaturated 53.1
    Carbohydrate 79.3
    Dietary Fiber 19.3
    Protein 77.1

I recently moved to NYC and in the process fell off the Paleo wagon and managed to gain a bunch of the weight I'd worked so hard to lose in the past year with IF. I had gotten down to around 160 lbs and now I'm back up to 175 lbs. My goal is 140lbs.

Mainly it was a food availability issue and also during Hurricane Sandy we didn't have power for nearly a month, which also affected my food choices. It's just easier to stray when you have other options in front of you. You think, "well I'll just have a little bit, I've been good"... not realizing that eventually adds up. Soon I was wondering why I was feeling hungry all the time like I do when I drop out of ketosis... whoops. A few other factors were affecting me including toxic work environments. I left the job I moved out here for and went to another job. Both environments were toxic in different ways and also contributed negatively to my health. In addition, office environments are notorious for a proliferation of snacks and treats that are high in sugar and carbs. In the Pacific Northwest, work environments are much more accomodating to different dietary needs than they are out here in the Northeast. While there's been a push for farmer's markets and people seeing the value of good food, the overall mentality is still about what's cheap versus where things come from.

That being said, I recently switched to a telecommute job. This has been great for a few reasons! One, way less stress. I do what I need to do in my own time and can even take a short nap in the afternoon if I need to. I'm introverted as well and interacting with people in an office is very distracting and draining for me. With telecommuting I'm interacting when I need to and there's always a barrier between myself and the others. I get to choose when I want to interact with people. Finally, I have full control over what food I'm exposed to in my environment. No more surprise cupcakes and cookies.

My one vice is wine. I stick to red wine as much as possible, but typically I will consume about 1-2 glasses a day. Sometimes I can drink a whole bottle if I get started too early. The way I've been dealing with that is to not impose limits on myself but rather listen to my body. If my body is telling me I've had enough, then I don't drink anymore. Granted that doesn't always work, especially in certain social settings. But we all have cheat days
    Last edited by mmmpork; 11-01-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Upcoming Menu

Stuffed Acorn Squash
    Recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html
    Modifications: I just omit the rice and if I need more stuffing just use more meat. I'll be replacing the ground pork with beef because that's what I have on hand.

Roast Leg of Lamb
    Recipe: (my own)
    Rub the meat down with Clarified Butter, salt, pepper, onion powder, a bunch of crushed garlic, and whatever fresh or dried herbs are on hand. Bake at 400 deg F until a meat thermometer reads 145 deg F. If you're planning to make lamb stew, roast the lamb bones along with the meat (I usually just put them under the meat as a sort of roasting rack).

Lamb Stew
    Recipe: (my own)
    Whenever I make a roast I usually make a stew with some of the leftovers.

Ingredients:
    For the broth:
    2 lbs of Lamb bones (this week I have neck bones)
    1 T apple cider vinegar
    2 quarts water
    1 carrot
    1 celery stalk
    1 onion
    A few parsely sprigs

For the stew:
    1-2 Turnips
    1-2 Carrots
    1 Celery stalk
    1 Leek
    1 small pkg Frozen Peas
    Leftover Lamb roast
    2T arrowroot starch
    salt and pepper to taste
    1-2T dried or fresh herbs (whatever you have on hand, I like thyme and sage)

To make the broth:
    Bring bones, cider vinegar, and water to a boil then simmer for 12 hours. Add the aromatics, bring to a boil, and simmer for 1 hour. Strain before using.

To make the stew:
    Sweat vegetables (except frozen peas) in butter. Add broth and bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Cook until vegetables are tender. Add the lamb meat and frozen peas. Mix arrowroot with a bit of cold water and add the slurry to the stew. Bring to a boil and stir for a few minutes until thick.

Optionally instead of arrowroot, you can make a reduction with the broth using a heavy bottomed pan.
    Last edited by mmmpork; 11-02-2013 at 08:24 AM.

Paleo Cooking Strategy

My strategy to Paleo cooking is to plan no more than 3 dishes at a time and to keep several "quick-to-assemble" ingredients on hand. In one grocery run, I typically plan on a cut of meat to roast, a vegetable side, a soup (usually related to the roast meat), and a quick cooking third dish (like thinly cut pork shops, salmon fillet, a paleo casserole of some sort). My "quick-to-assemble" ingredients include a loaf of homemade coconut bread, salad stuff, sandwich meat and cheese, and eggs. Quick meals might include a poached egg with ham, cheese, and tomato on a piece of coconut bread or a salad with egg, ham, cheese, cucumber, tomato, lettuce and carrot. Usually I do all my cooking within 2 days of getting groceries so all I need to do is reheat the proper meals.

Occaisionally I'm simply not going to have time to cook even something quick. Even though I telecommute, sometimes I'm just knee deep in a project and don't want to break my concentration away for longer than it takes to click a few buttons and order food online. Other times I'm just sick of my own food and need a break. That's fine.

Previously I found when I stockpiled ingredients and overplanned, I'd almost rebel at some point and just not cook, and the food would go bad. This strategy really works for me.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Tasty lamb stew!

Glad to find your journal. Another fellow NYC person!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    I agree, that lamb stew sounds good.

Thanks! I realized I forgot to mention the seasonings for it.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Upcoming Menu

Fresh Ham
    Look on the internet for Fresh Ham recipes to get ideas, but basically all you need is a brine and a hunk of meat.

1 fresh ham (preferably bone-in)
    Sugar
    Salt
    Water

Brine the ham with the appropriate amount of brine (gonna have to google search for that). I recommend at least 3 days of brining.

Once brined, remove from brine, pat dry, and let air dry. Coat with a mix of herbs and clarified butter. Bake at 400 deg until internal temperature reads 160 deg F.

I'm serving mine with pureed butternut squash, steamed broccolini with a simple cheese sauce (look up alfredo sauce recipes and use cheddar instead of parmesan, mine is just butter, cream, cheese), and baked parsnips (clarified butter + nutmeg).

Collard Green and Turnip Stew
    This is modified from a Julia Child recipe for a potato and cabbage stew. If you haven't checked out her book "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" then you totally should. She has many traditional French recipes there and substitutions for any carby things are really easy.

For the broth/stock:
    2 qts water
    1 T vinegar
    1 pigs foot or smoked hamhock (if you were lucky enough to get a bone-in ham, throw that bone in here)

1 carrot
    1 stalk celery
    1 small onion
    bunch of parsely

For the stew:
    butter
    1 smoked sausage ring, cut up however you prefer
    1 bunch of collard greens, roughly chopped (remove the stems)
    2-3 turnips depending on size, cubed
    salt and pepper to taste
    smoked paprika

To make the stock:
    Simmer the pig foot or ham hock for at least 12 hours until the cartilage has deteriorated. Strain and chop up any meaty bits. Add the aromatics to the stock and simmer for 1 hour. Strain, reserving the carrot.

For the stew:
    Saute the stew ingredients in butter until sweating, then add the stock. Simmer until the turnips and collard greens are cooked through. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika.

I usually eat mine with a dollop of homemade creme fraiche!

Thai Curry

I love love love Thai curry but I don't like ordering it takeout due to the sugar and PUFA content. It's to make it yourself even with pre-boxed goods as long as you know what you're buying.

Coconut Milk
    For prepacked coconut milk, I recommend Aroy-D asceptic packages with no additives: http://www.amazon.com/100%25-Coconut.../dp/B002I6DZ92

Curry Paste
    Mae Ploy is the best Thai curry paste you can find without making your own (assuming you have access to fresh galangal and kefir lime leaves). This brand is typically available at Asian grocery stores, or online: Amazon.com: Mae Ploy: Grocery & Gourmet Food

These are just basic veggies I typically use, but things like zucchini, eggplant, and shitaki mushrooms work really well too. Use whatever looks good or whatever you happen to have on hand.

2 cups of veggies (zucchini, eggplant, onion, bell peppers, bamboo shoots... etc)
    1.5 cups of coconut milk
    2 T curry paste
    Fish Sauce
    2t Sucanat
    1 lb of meat (I prefer fish or scallops in this, but leftover duck is nice too)

Saute the onion, bell pepper and meat. Add the bamboo and curry paste, stir to spread the love, then add coconut milk and cook until curry paste is dissolved. Add fish sauce and sweetener to taste. Serve on its own, with cauliflower rice, or with shirataki noodles. If you want to serve this with shirataki noodles, add rinsed noodles to the pan and simmer so they can soak up the coconut flavor. Really this stuff is fine on its own too.
    Last edited by mmmpork; 11-17-2013 at 04:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast