Thread: Question about fasting page

Jennerator is offline Member

Question about fasting

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I fasted for about 20 hours today
    well... I think I did
    see I had some milk in my coffee in the morning but those were the only calories I partook in until the late afternoon.
    I'm wondering if even having a scant amount of calories somehow disrupts the fasting process... I'd be worried that I'm turning on some metabolic switch or something and then just depriving myself without any benefits. or worse that I would be triggering some sort of sneaky fat storage..? haha I don't know, any feedback would be great!

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    According to Martin Berkhan of LeanGains:
    "No calories are to be ingested during the fasted phase, though coffee, calorie free sweeteners, diet soda and sugar free gum are ok (even though they might contain trace amount of calories). A tiny splash of milk in your coffee won’t affect anything either (-1 teaspoon of milk per cup at the most - use sparingly and sensibly if you drink a lot of coffee)."

Note that, of course, the calorie-free sweeteners, diet soda & sugar free gum he "allows" are *not* primal.

The Leangains Guide | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

Haha yeah I would definitely take sugar over aspartame myself!
    Hmm well I had more milk than that today, I will try to keep it more moderate next time I fast. But the 16/8 gets easier as time goes on I just don't do it on days when I lift in the mornings

Sean_OToole is offline Member
    Johnny Nguyen of theleansaloon.com who is another internet fasting guru, takes a much more relaxed stance than Martin Berkhan on taking in small amounts of calories during the "fast". I think it depends on what you're trying to do with a period of fasting. If you think there is some metabolic switch being turned on and off, then maybe you want to avoid all calories. For me (and for Johnny) fasting is just a convenient way to get myself to eat less. Sometimes I find that eating can trigger a hunger response and cause me to want to keep going. I don't get that response if I put some cream in my coffee, so I don't worry about it.
    Martin's method would never work for me. One teaspoon? I drink my coffee black 95% of the time, but when I go for cream I usually add a good quarter cup or so.

ib4student is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennerator View Post
    Haha yeah I would definitely take sugar over aspartame myself!
    Why is that?

Finnabair is offline Senior Member

For sure! Aspartame is a neurotoxin! Probably okay in small doses but still I'd rather deal with actual sugar if I had to. And to think how much diet coke I used to drink... *shudder*

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    At least one's body has a mechanism to deal with sugar.