Thread: Feelin kinda irritable... page

milkycereal is offline Banned

Feelin kinda irritable...

Hey guys, latley i've been eating high protein, moderate fat and carb...I pretty go high protein for breakfast and lunch with some carbs if I need em, then at dinner time i tone down the protein and up the carbs a bit...

but i'm feelin a bit irritable. My energy levels are pretty good but the little things are starting to annoy me. Mainly people, mainly the kids in my dorm hallway who randomly scream and this one fat girly kid who has to laugh really loud in his girly fat kid laugh....

I eat this way to keep my energy levels consistant and it keeps my hunger at bay for a really long time. Carbs make me sleepy and hungry sooner....maybe I should tone down the protein a bit and up the carbs slightly throughout the day...some meals I go really low carb (just veggies) and really high protein. But now it's after dinner and i've had my carbs, still feelin kinda irritable...

it might be a slight coffee crash too...what do you guys think? Anyone have any experiences with irritability?
    Last edited by milkycereal; 10-04-2011 at 07:58 PM.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, I've definitely experienced irritability before. I can't pin it to anything in particular though. Some days if I have to extend my fast longer than I'd like I can become irritable. Having something to work on or distract me helps with that though. Also I think going too low on calories for too long.

Oh, and I really think that dehydration can make me more irritable. If I remember correctly, dehydration can cause a rise in hormones that make you more aggressive. This would make sense if you had to fight others for access to scarce water supplies. Anyway, I may be totally off-base with all my theories, but I can sympathize.

Bear is offline Senior Member

Irritable

Are you drinking any protein powder drinks? See my thread on protein powder "downside" if you are...I believe I had a reaction to the ingestion of too much concentrated protein (even though I used the recommended amount).

Your irritability could be related...if so, I would stop with the protein increase NOW.

no but i am consuming a buttload of protein IMO, ill check it out

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Are you drinking any protein powder drinks? See my thread on protein powder "downside" if you are...I believe I had a reaction to the ingestion of too much concentrated protein (even though I used the recommended amount).

Your irritability could be related...if so, I would stop with the protein increase NOW.
    couldnt find anything when i searched your name, can you post a link?

Freedish is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Yeah, I've definitely experienced irritability before. I can't pin it to anything in particular though. Some days if I have to extend my fast longer than I'd like I can become irritable. Having something to work on or distract me helps with that though. Also I think going too low on calories for too long.

Oh, and I really think that dehydration can make me more irritable. If I remember correctly, dehydration can cause a rise in hormones that make you more aggressive. This would make sense if you had to fight others for access to scarce water supplies. Anyway, I may be totally off-base with all my theories, but I can sympathize.
    I was battling this today. I skipped breakfast and lunch and had an early dinner at Jasons deli. Everything in the restaurant was bothering me, loud kids, rude employees, the table was too low...slow people taking too long to get their food...I finally got some food in me and my annoyance subsided a bit.

Also I've never heard about the dehydration thing, sounds interesting. I know you said it's just a theory you have but if you have any credible sources for it i'd like to see

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedish View Post
    Also I've never heard about the dehydration thing, sounds interesting. I know you said it's just a theory you have but if you have any credible sources for it i'd like to see
    Vasopressin: Vasopressin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check out the "Central Nervous System" section:
    In recent years, there has been particular interest in the role of vasopressin in social behavior. It is thought that vasopressin, released into the brain during sexual activity, initiates and sustains patterns of activity that support the pair-bond between the sexual partners; in particular, vasopressin seems to induce the male to become aggressive towards other males
    Also, vasopressin is higher when you're dehydrated. Just that section out of context makes it sound like it's released only during sex, but one of it's main roles is in maintaining fluid balance in the body, hence vasopressin's alternate name: antidiuretic hormone (ADH).
    Last edited by yodiewan; 10-05-2011 at 07:30 AM.

Ok, so drink more water

And apparently roll back the protien and increase the carbs proportionally...seems to work. I just had a sandwhich (I know I know, but thats the best I could do in the cafe today) and I'm feelin full, not sleepy and not irritable...i think that's what I was missing

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Sleep?
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Freedish is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    haha nice quote by bob moawad