Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for all the pregnant primals! page

hannahm34 is offline Member

Hello,

I recently found out that I am almost 9 weeks pregnant with my first child. I am super excited!! I have been reading some of the posts by FlyNavyWife and Slesca and they both seem to follow primal while being pregnant. Is it ok to stay completely primal during pregnancy?? I've read on numerous other websites that low-carb, especially if you're in ketosis, is very harmful to the fetus, causing brain damage. Just wondered what your thoughts were??? I really want to stay primal, however I want a healthy baby. Your opinions are appreciated!! )

Also...is fasting until dinner ok if I'm genuinely not hungry?? I used to do this twice a week before pregnancy, but since have been eating three square meals even if I'm not that hungry. Guess I just thought that's what pregnant women were supposed to do......interested to hear opinions! )

maba is offline Senior Member

Congratulations Hannahm34, how exciting! We're planning too and would love to learn more primal pregnancy. I haven't read anything about ketosis during pregnancy. But I know Tarlach's wife was paleo during (and before and after) both her pregnancies and I believe theirs is a primarily carnivorous diet. I would imagine ketosis wouldn't be harmful. I hope he reads this thread and offers suggestions.

Maleficarum is offline Member

my understanding is that there have been zero "modern, scientific" studies done on ketosis and pregnancy. That said, since we do not need anything provided by carbohydrates to survive and that our bodies show a preferential treatment of Ketones as an energy source, it makes sense that a developing fetus would as well.

if it worries you... keep your carbs in the maintenance weigh range of 100-150 g per day. I seriously do not know how to eat that many carbs with this way of life on a consistent basis.

my wife is 8 months pregnant. she has not followed a low-carb or primal eating plan with any of our pregnancies, but we do try to stick with whole, non-processed foods, and she prefers low-carb food over all. This third pregnancy has been the hardest on her, and she has had cravings for weird things that she never had with our first two daughters.

good luck.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Congratulations! YAY!

I used to IF until dinner pretty frequently (couple times a week) just because I wasn't hungry... but since becoming pregnant and being nauseated and having food aversions, I'm trying to eat more frequently just to make sure I get in enough calories/nutrients! If you feel up to eating a big dinner, I don't think IFing the early part of the day would be harmful... just don't aim for a caloric deficit or anything like that.

Are you having any nausea or food aversions? If not, lucky you!!! I would be so jealous.

There are some good comments on this post at proteinpower.com http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/k...m-and-ketosis/ about low-carb and pregnancy (I just use the "find" feature to locate things with "preg" in them haha). Basically it's not necessarily bad to be in ketosis but not much is known about it - but plenty of people commented that they ate low-carb during pregnancy, possibly low enough for ketosis, and their babies were fine.

I'm not worrying about ketones, but I also have been eating a LOT more carbs than I normally do - fruit is one thing that rarely makes me feel sick, so I'm eating more of that than before. Also, most proteins seem disgusting to me at this point (VERY SAD) so I've had to resort to some non-primal things just to get in calories and fat... like I will cook white rice in chicken stock for nutrients and then smother it with a ton of butter for more calories and fat... or I'll take a piece of sourdough bread (since it's made w/a fermentation process) and butter both sides, toast it in a pan, and make an open-faced grilled cheese. Not every day, but when I can't get anything else down those options have worked and haven't caused any gastric distress the way regular bread or other wheat products have.

I hope this helps... I mean, I'm not an endocrinologist or anything, but I am 100% not worried about my baby's development, even when I'll be able to start eating fewer carbs (veggies instead of so much fruit, more meat and less rice/sourdough - though I'm not eating much of that anyway).

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

fbw
    fbw is offline Junior Member

yeah, me neither. i am eight weeks gestation and have been eating mostly grassfed meat and seasonal fruit, getting maybe 30-50g carbs as a norm in a given day. my prenatal labs shocked the nurse with their good values. according to modern medical science, eating primal and low-carb is keeping my baby extremely healthy.

i haven't been gaining weight, but that is a bridge i will leap during the second trimester, when the baby's growth really takes off. the baby is tearing through my fat stores, so i have several weeks before gaining weight becomes a priority.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

fbw i also haven't gained yet... I've lost 6 pounds as of this morning (it was -7 before), so I'm 124 now. I'm not worried - sometime during second trimester I know, like you said, baby will start growing faster and will make me hungry. haha.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Thanks so much for the input!! Yes, I am nauseated all the time!! I'm even finding it hard to get energy to work out. I hope that passes. My weight is at an all time high for me right now. I had to put on weight in order to get pregnant, (my bodyfat percentage was too low) so I am hoping not to gain too much in this pregnancy or I will be huge!

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city

Congratulations!!!

I have yet to read anything about ketosis that has worried ME, but I am definitely not an expert. There is very little information out there about pregnant women's diets. I assume it's because no one wants to run studies on pregnant women. That being said, I doubt I'm in ketosis very often. I eat dairy pretty regularly and in general have plenty of slip-ups with non-primal meals. But, the more perfectly I adhere to primal principles, the better I feel. The idea that a diet of meat and vegetables would somehow cause brain damage to my fetus is really hard to swallow.

Overall, I feel like pregnancy is a good time to listen to your body. Drink water when it says drink, rest when it says rest, and eat when it says eat. Just lately (mid 2nd-trimester) I have been skipping meals occasionally. That would have been unheard of when I was at the end of my 1st/beginning of 2nd tri. I haven't found anything that says skipping meals is bad. But I'll let you know how things turn out in May!

We are getting quite the pregnant cohort around here. I'm so excited to hear about everyone's experiences.

PrimalMa is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Congrats to all you other mothers. I'll be 12 weeks pregnant this Wednesday. I started eating primal in October 2010 and was pregnant just a few short months later. We weren't trying, but I do believe that living the primal lifestyle pushed my fertility meter past its limit! This first trimester has been a challenge as far as staying on the primal path. I have had had massive nausea and food aversions the entire time. They seem to be letting up a little lately, but still having issues eating protein (especially pork...ugh) and craving too many carbs. I tried to research ketosis during pregnancy and couldn't come up with anything substantial. Just as a precaution I've upped my carb intake to include more tubers and some additional fruit. I was eating very low carb (less than 50 grams a day). I've lost a few pounds since the beginning of January and am hoping to keep my weight gain minimal through the course of the pregnancy. When I started eating primal in October my goal was to improve body composition and get healthier and I was well on my way losing 30 pounds in three months, but I still have more to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast