Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question: Eating habits prior to PB page

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Question: Eating habits prior to PB

Shop Now
    I'd like to know if anyone here, before adopting the PB, was eating PB-style but still incorporated wheat at least semi-regularly. That is to say, along with bread and pasta, you ate plenty of fresh, organic vegetables, some fruit, plus clean sources of meat and did not shy away from saturated fats, but did avoid processed seed oils, and did move around plenty and got lots of sleep. Basically, did anyone try to live a couple hundred years in the past as opposed to 20,000?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, more or less. I ran a lot but my diet was essentially Primal save for the daily Kashi bar, and a personal brick-oven pizza twice a month. That was the final tweak in my weight loss efforts before going Primal to trim calories as much as possible.

I was low-ish fat too, unfortunately.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    before going primal i ate pretty clean during the week...all meat and veggies, with a PWO shake that had some oatmeal in it. on the weekends i would eat like shit...not just primal shit, but shit shit. the meat was always conventional (still is), and the veggies weren't always organic. i didn't shy away from saturated fat, but i didn't have as much as i do now. moving and sleeping, and playing actually, were the same as they are for me now...maybe a little more cardio than i do now. i didn't gain, but i didn't lose any extra either. i was lifting heavy and doing hiit a lot, so i figured i earned those cookies, ice cream and cookies on the weekends.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Diana: do you feel that eliminating grains was the lynchpin that allowed you to lose so much weight?

primalrob: How much weight have you lost on the PB, and are you where you want to be?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Before primal I was afraid of fat. Once I read about avocados somehow being healthy, it snowballed. I read deeply into many woo-woo diets, and was halfway convinced to try calorie restriction with optimal nutrition, and that somehow eventually landed me here. But I was eating hippie bread snacks the whole way.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I was gluten free but not grain free, and I was already into the local/organic food movement and living a pretty active lifestyle, so I guess I might count in that category. I ate gluten-free baked goods, mostly ones I made myself.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    I'd like to know if anyone here, before adopting the PB, was eating PB-style but still incorporated wheat at least semi-regularly. That is to say, along with bread and pasta, you ate plenty of fresh, organic vegetables, some fruit, plus clean sources of meat and did not shy away from saturated fats, but did avoid processed seed oils, and did move around plenty and got lots of sleep. Basically, did anyone try to live a couple hundred years in the past as opposed to 20,000?
    yes and i would never go back to it! That bread and pasta packed 5 extra lbs of flub on me that i could never get rid of. I would say i was eating wheat more than semi-regularly, it was at least once daily (homemade blueberry waffles for breakfast) and often more (pasta for dinner, sandwich for lunch). Gah i feel all bloaty just thinking about it.

Why are you asking?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    primalrob: How much weight have you lost on the PB, and are you where you want to be?
    i lost about 15-20 lbs from going primal, but that's not really where my success lies. i lost 100lbs with weight watchers a few years ago, but was still jiggly and out of shape. i lost a little more eating and exercising the way i mentioned pre-primal while i was building my strength back up, but i didn't really feel accomplished until i went primal. that's when i really started losing the fat and got better at everything. i'm not quite where i want to be--i keep moving the goal posts--but i've easily reached the weight and body fat goals i set for myself when i decided to stop being a lazy fat ass. i think i wouldn't mind being a little lighter, but i actually have no clue how much i weigh, just guessing it, and now i'm sort of working not very hard to reach that low body fat percentage (i'll really start going after it if being primal somehow gets rid of some unwanted body hair and i get comfortable going shirtless).

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I was gluten free, nightshade free, and cooking from scratch - mostly organic. Meat quality was high, but not solely grass fed -it was grass fed, grain finished. Fish was both wild caught and farm raised. I was eating whole grains - oatmeal, buckwheat, quinoa, brown rice. I lost like 40 lbsw when I dropped nightshades, but gained some back over Holidays (X-mas cookies, parties, etc). Since primal on Jan 3rd, I've lost like 75 lbs. I've avoided franken foods, hydrogenated fats and HFCS for >4yrs now.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Diana: do you feel that eliminating grains was the lynchpin that allowed you to lose so much weight?
    Absolutely. Not in that grains made me fat, but more along the lines of grains were keeping me from getting healthy... if that makes any sense. I got fat because I ate, and ate, and ate. Running and dieting got rid of a lot of that fat, but it was hard to lose. After ditching the grains my body seemed to let go of it easier.

Now, with my reduction (and now practical elimination) of exercise due to my work & school schedule, my body has seemed to level out at a higher weight than when I was exercising, even on a Primal diet with minimal indulgences. I know that being Primal I will not gain back all of the weight I lost (which is a huge relief) and that it's OK to lay off the exercise and just keep up with life for a while. When I'm ready to resume working out and training hard the extra fluff should come off fairly easily.

FWIW, I am eating more carbs now than I had been, with no real change in weight. So it's not really a "low carb" thing as it is avoiding garbage food in general.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast