Thread: Advice on altering my current workouts to maximize PB... page

napoleon1815 is offline Junior Member

Advice on altering my current workouts to maximize PB...

Primal Fuel
    Hey all,

I am new here, and just read the book. I've been on a similar diet since January of this year and have lost ~150lbs since then. I've been doing two things to achieve this: putting mysef on a strict (perhaps too strict calories wise...at 226lbs and 6'2" I am eating ~2,000 calories a day) diet and using my Concept2 rower daily. I currently get up at 5:30am to workout as it's the only time I am "guaranteed" to have alone time (between kids, work, etc.). I don't love doing it, but I enjoy getting it done first thing in the morning...and I seem to burn fat a lot better this way. I know Mark stresses more randomness in workouts, etc. I guess this is the center of my question...

My current workout schedule is: 20 minutes intervals every morning (12 minutes of actual exertion...the other 8 minutes include warmup, cool down, and rest periods). Half the time I also append a 10 minute strength training drill to the end of my rowing (a non-stop 10 minute circuit type workout using bodyweight, resistance bands, dumbells). So in a nutshell I row 7 days a week on intervals and so the strength training every other day after rowing. I am getting really burnt out with this regime, and I can't find it in myself to change too much or even take on day off to rest (It's a problem). It's a psychological barrier I guess. That being said, how does my current workout compare to the PB lifestyle? Based on the book it sounds like I need to incorporate at least one rest day and maybe junk a few of my morning rituals for slower workouts?

Thanks all.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    A suggestion: Take a full week off, break the habit. Sleep in or take a walk instead. You will NOT get fat or out of shape, if anything you'll probably gain strength by resting - that's how it works. Then, make some concrete goals - why are you working out? What would you like to achieve via your workouts? More specific and concrete is better. Then you'll be in a better place to figure out your training, which probably will look like "harder, but less frequent" in some form or other.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Thanks for the advice...taking a week off sounds great...I just have to get over the mental hump to do it. I know you are right though. I also read somewhere that it sometime pays to increase the calorie count for a short time. My goals are mostly to lose more weight (would love to get down to 200lbs or so)...but I also want to do it right and not lose muscle. I just feel tired, hungry, and run down all the time...I don't feel "energized" after my workouts like Mark cites several times in his book.

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    I'm a big fan of Martin and his leangains meal approach anyway but his most recent post is spot on for solid workout advice.

Fuckarounditis | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by napoleon1815 View Post
    Thanks for the advice...taking a week off sounds great...I just have to get over the mental hump to do it. I know you are right though. I also read somewhere that it sometime pays to increase the calorie count for a short time. My goals are mostly to lose more weight (would love to get down to 200lbs or so)...but I also want to do it right and not lose muscle. I just feel tired, hungry, and run down all the time...I don't feel "energized" after my workouts like Mark cites several times in his book.
    Have you read Mark's Primal Blueprint Fitness e-book? It's a free download, and worth the time. Basically, PB Fitness involves walking a lot, and lifting really heavy one to three times a week, and sprinting sessions once or twice a week.

If you have a mental barrier in your head about taking a day off, then you really need to take several days off from that rower. If you find yourself getting up at the same time and you can't keep yourself from "working out", then put your shoes on and go for a walk instead.

An example of the importance of recovery: In Army Basic Training you do two scheduled workouts per day, plus all the punishment workouts and marches and obstacle courses and such. When I left Basic Training to go to my advanced training, I started working out only once a day, and sitting in a classroom for the rest of it. All of my fitness scores improved significantly over the next few weeks simply due to increased recovery.

Thanks for all the advice guys...seems like some recovery is in order. I didn't read the e-book (I downloaded it though)...I DID however read the actual book and loved it. I don't want to be one of those people Mark talks about that nod their head in agreement with what he has to say but then continue on with their old routine. I know I have to change...hopefully I can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    I'm a big fan of Martin and his leangains meal approach anyway but his most recent post is spot on for solid workout advice.

Fuckarounditis | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health
    Thanks for the info..interesting (and funny) stuff on that link. So he seems to advocate 3x a week...

"If you're adding 2-3 sessions of HIIT to your 3 sessions of weights, it is almost comparable to adding 2-3 days of weights. Keyword is "almost", I'm obviously not drawing direct comparisons. That's all fine and dandy if you think working out 5-6 days/week is a good idea on a diet. But I don't think anyone - no matter what level of experience - needs more than 3 days a week in the gym when cutting. (Yes, this goes for competitors and beginners alike.)
    In conclusion, if conditioning is not terribly important for you, if your goal is really about getting shredded while keeping your muscle, I highly suggest limiting moderate to high intensity cardio on a diet - or ditch it completely. Save it for some other time when your recovery is good and not limited by your diet."

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey all,

Just wanted to update this from this morning...well I got up at 5:30am and almost forced myself on the rower...but I couldn't mentally or physically do it. I just couldn't. I stared at it for a few minutes, and mentally tried to pump myself up to remove the dust cover off it and just do it...come on, I said, you've been rowing since January 7th and never missed a day... I am happy to report I ignored it and didn't row this morning. Instead, I used my Schwinn Airdyne stationary bike, which I bought 4 or so months ago and never used as I have been addicted to non-stop rowing. I did my usual rowing workout on the bike (this week I am doing interval sets of 12x2min, with 1 min rest between sets for a total of 20 minutes). I follow the PACE program where it's not balls-to-the-wall on every set but rather on each set I increase the intensity so by the last set I am going as fast as I can.

Granted, I didn't take a rest day, and I hope to get there, but just NOT rowing and using the bike was a huge - and hard - thing for me to do. I am happy to report that I feel GREAT today...even though I think the workout was in some ways harder (I find I get my heart rate up higher on the bike than on the rower), I feel actually energized today...not sluggish and tired like I usually am at this time. I think this is more the mental part...like I broke free from something and tried something new. I am hoping I can keep this momemtum going and use this excitment to break down more barriers...and take a break soon. That being said, I think for now I will alternate days between the rower and the bike. Of course, 10% of me still feels guilty in some odd way about not rowing, but this too shall pass.

Just wanted to thank you guys for your input. Like I said I know this doesn't sound like earth-shattering news but it was a huge step in the right direction for me.