Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Primal in the UK! page

GLD1 is offline Member

Going Primal in the UK!

Hi All

Following on from my introduction thread, I figured I'd start my journal!

I got hold of the primal quick and easy cookbook and will be basing my meals around that bad boy...

So far I've had the Brocolli quiche and the cauliflower pork and rice, along with eggs and bacon for breakfast and the tuna salad for lunch...

I'd say I've been about 90% primal for 3 days now - day one was easy enough, day 2 was a little bit fuzzy and today has been a headache day...

I'm a little worried about not getting enough carbs - my rough calcs for what I've eaten seem a bit low, as in pushing 30 grams - I need to really get involved on fitday and work it out...

I'm really enjoying cooking as well - for me I was never forced vegetables as a kid and really struggle to eat them at all now - I'm hoping that my taste buds will adjust soon so I can enjoy all the great looking food!!!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Why are you going that low on carbs? I wouldn't go that low unless a higher level wasn't working for me. If you are trying to lose fat or reduce blood sugar level or something, 50-100 should be fine. If not, then go lower.

You don't absolutely have to eat lots of vegetables. I do because I love them. There are many ways to make veg tasty. Hint: butter. More
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

GLD1 is offline Member
    No panic - I popped it all into myfitnesspal and I took about 120g of carbs - so not too bad at all!

Thanks for the link - I'll have a cheeky look later - butter and veg is next on my list - might try a primal Sunday Roast if I can figure out how!

gingernut is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GLD1 View Post
    might try a primal Sunday Roast if I can figure out how!
    What's to figure out? It's pretty primal already...if you leave out the Yorkies!! ;-P

Hi! from another UK Primal btw! *waves*
    Finally uncovering the real me!

My 'Serious Six' journal.

reeferjon is offline Member
    Pub sunday lunch, you know the 5.99 carvery jobbie.......great stuff they are. Turkey, Pork with root veg and Colli.......cant be beat lol.....
    Oh yeah...and from UK too..

GLD1 is offline Member
    Hi guys - good to know there are plenty of us about! What sort of places do you guys shop? I'm mixing up asda, waitrose and riverford organics at the moment

catemarie is offline Junior Member
    Oh yeah, loads of us about!

I'm loving getting our veggies (and an occasional meat box) from LoveKent - if you're in London (or Kent) they deliver and are fantastic and cheap, much cheaper than abel and cole and the like. Been nothing but pleased with them.

The meat boxes are also lovely, and you can specify gluten free (yummy wheat free sausages!) if that's your thing.

C

Pineneedles is offline Senior Member
    Hello and welcome. I'm also in the UK. My food shopping is a mixture of Abel & Cole veg box (good quality but pricey - thanks for the Love Kent tip catemarie - will check them out), Waitrose, local butcher (beef bones for stock!) and other supermarkets sometimes.

The roast dinner will be one of the parts of your diet that doesn't really need to change. Potatoes cooked in goose fat or dripping - yum.

My tip for eating your vegetables - soup! Since my veg box arrives on Tuesdays, Monday night tends to be my soup night to use up what's left. My favourite at the moment is butternut squash soup with smoked paprika. With bacon bits.

Since last week I've been using paleotrack rather than fitday - encouragingly it tells you when you've been strict paleo (never for me as I eat butter) and it tracks your omega 6/3 balance which is useful and interesting.

gingernut is offline Senior Member
    In terms of supermarket type places I go between Sainsbury's (dairy and household stuff), M&S & Co-op (the latter two do lovely gluten free sausages which are basically just meat and spices) but actually buy most of my meat and veggies online, at the farmer's market, or from the local greengrocer and fish from the fish van that comes round once a week.

It has taken a while but I feel like I'm getting into my groove now.
    Finally uncovering the real me!

My 'Serious Six' journal.

GLD1 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Awesome - thanks for the replies! I will try all your suggestions soon enough

Any links/ideas on pre preparation for food? I'm looking at ideas to cut down cooking time, and am next to clueless!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast