Thread: Hawle060's Journey page

hawle060 is offline Junior Member

Hawle060's Journey

Primal Fuel
    Well hello! I've decided to try a journal. I joined crossfit three weeks ago and was given a journal in which to write all my food intake and daily activity. I hated the idea of food journalling, but I want to become a nutritionist and realized I needed to be open to everything. So, I have three weeks of daily food entries. I think I should enter those in on here? I may just do that. But this is also for my thoughts.

I am six feet tall, don't know my weight and female. I want to guess my weight is at 170, but I truthfully have no idea. before I started crossfit three weeks ago, I went primal August 1st, 2001. So, two months ago! I had been gluten-free before that for over three years, with occasionally cutting starch and sugar out of my diet. That never lasted very long, though! My life got really hectic in March of this year, I started a high-stress, too quickly paced retail job and while I excelled, a lot was put on my plate and I bowed out at the end of July because I noticed the job and its stress was taking a toll on my health. That was hard for me to admit. I wanted to be strong and show the world I can do anything and everything, even a crummy food industry job and be great at it. I was great--but I realized that if I wanted to actually be happy, and I had a way to not work there, then I should really pursue that. So I did. Loved most of my co-workers, though.

Anyway. It was retail food, a cheese shop, with lots of little treats and bits and bites of everything all day. I was so tired all day that I would stuff my face while on my feet and then be too exhausted to cook when I would get home. Or I'd eat free food after a closing shift, so a face-stuff at 10-11 p.m. No wonder my body was crying out in agony!

A little backstory: I have always had a large belly. I started hating myself when I was 8. My weight became really problematic at age 11, and I did not have a good emotional support team back then. I had a good childhood but was awfully lonely for most of it (emotionally). At 13 or 14 my mom ordered me to start Atkin's, which I resented her for, but it actually really, really helped me. I had stopped weighing myself after I hit 220 around then. With Atkin's, I got my weight somewhat under control and started to focus on what I was eating.

I had been home-schooled since third grade, and I decided to go to high-school for my junior and senior year. By my junior year I wasn't comfortable or happy with my body, but I fit into clothes and things didn't look awful. Junior year I ate cafeteria food--by the spring, I had ballooned up again. That summer was very uncomfortable and I ate to deal with my feelings. My breaking point was in August at my cousin's cabin. My aunt had made a pasta salad and I was eating it. And eating it. And I kept going back for another bowlful, one more, and another. I could not get full. I knew it was so much and I knew it was crazy that this much food wouldn't satiate me. Finally I put the bowl down and realized I was incapable of doing anything. I HAD to take a nap. I took the longest, most painful nap of my life. When I woke up, I knew that that stuff was good for me. Pasta was not my friend. It didn't have anything in it that would make me feel good. So I told myself to stop eating it. I decided to not eat anything sweet or anything starchy. And I didn't . I was very strict my senior year of high-school and lost a lot of weight. Only problem was, I wasn't physically active, so I was thin, but that unhealthy, incapable thin.

At my thinnest, I weighed 150-155. That is not cool for a girl like me! I'm six feet tall. My freshman year of college, I kind of kept an eye on what I ate, kind of not. I ate what I wanted for the most part. I didn't gain a obscene amount of weight, but I was no longer thin. However, I got very thin after my freshman year in college while living in Nicaragua for the summer. I got pretty sick there and it really messed with my GI. I didn't mind being thin again, I was tan and felt full of life after living there, but once I returned to the U.S. and took yet another round of very, VERY strong antibiotics, my gut was wreaked. I didn't get it. I went to an idiot of a gastroenterologist and he didn't do anything except keep me on antibiotics. Dumb dumb, dumb! I realized I couldn't trust any medical doctors to care about me or try to cure me (instead of just treating my symptoms) so I went my own way and focused on my diet. I went gluten-free the next year and it was a miracle. So much less borborygmos (look it up!!), no more acid reflux and heartburn (it was constant and immobilizing), no more brain fog, less anxiety, less stress, no flushed face after meals, and I lost some weight again.

I knew diet was the key.

Fast-forward to now: 22, this December will have been two years since I graduated college, and I am now excited to take my health to the next level. My internet research led me to kombucha, which lead me to Nourishing Traditions, which led me to Body Ecolocy, which led me to the Weston A Price Foundation, which lead me to raw milk, which lead me to lacto-fermentation, which led me to questioning dairy, which lead me to questioning grain consumption, which lead me to Mark's Daily Apple. I devoured this website. I read it for hours. I committed on August 1st. I have not been perfect. I have been very good. Only now, two months in, do I feel like cheating more than ever.

Now, I am focusing on my body's ability to move more than my diet. No, that's not right! I still am very passionate about what I put in my body, and I think the upheaval of suddenly becoming more active and having body soreness and the fight to become strong has changed my food requirements, which may be throwing me for a mental loop. Trying to figure out my carb balance after a tough workout is something new for me.

Perhaps this first entry will end here! Welcome! Thank you for reading and your support! Let's see where this journal takes me!

9/1/911
    B: 1 egg, over-easy, 1 glass kombucha, 2.5 strips of bacon
    L: 2 deviled eggs (homemade mayo), 3 oz. baked salmon (w/ skin), 1/2 zucchini, baked
    D: Big bowl of kale w/ GF tamari, coconut oil, ginger, garlic, 2.5 strips bacon
    Snack: 1/4 c. raw yogurt w/ frozen berries + 1/8t. raw honey, the rest of the kale dinner leftovers
    Activity: Crossfit

9/20/11
    B: I egg over easy, 2 strips bacon, 1/2 avocado, glass of kombucha
    L: mushroom spinich sautee --small bowl
    Snack: 2 squares bittersweet chocolate
    D: braised pork shoulder w/ carrots, onions in homemade beef stock, glass kombucha
    Activity: 3m walk

9/21/11
    B: 1/2 avocado
    Snack: leftover pork should strew, 1/4 c.
    L: 1/2 c. pork shoulder stew, 1/2 c. yogurt with chia seeds + berries ( I try to not eat much dairy, but if my stomach seems upset I like to, and it was)
    Snack: handful of almonds + coconut flakes
    D: plate of broccoli + cilantro chermoula, 1 hard boiled egg
    Snack: 4 squares dark chocolate
    Activity: None, felt ill, puked the night before (still not sure why, I never barf!)

9/22/11
    B: leftover broccoli, 1 hard boiled egg + salt, assam tea
    L: two bites pork shoulder
    Snack: 1 banana + 1/2 handful walnuts
    D: bowl of pork stew, mango lassi, palak paneer

9/23/11
    B: 1 hard boiled egg, small bowl almost + coconut flakes, white tea
    L: 5 oz. salmon, buttered, handful green beans (PURPLE BEANS! from my garden. Trying not to eat these, but, c'mon, garden beans!)
    D: 1 hard boiled egg, 2 lacto-fermented pickles, 1 glass unspiked cider, 1 glass cider + whiskey
    Activity: 6 mile walk

9/24/11
    B: 2 scrambled eggs, 1 glass kombucha, 2 strips bacon
    L:1 banana, 2 slices cheese/veggie pizza (skinned 'em, they were from pizza hut, what an AWFUL idea. It was free. God, that's not even an excuse. My whole college career there were free slices of pizza everywhere and I didn't care. I was away form home all day and felt like I wouldn't have time to eat. What shit!)
    D: 1/2 apple, 1 hard boiled egg
    Activity: Nothing

9/25/11
    B: 2 strips bacon
    L: 4 oz. salmon, some mayo (homemade), side of cooked kale
    Snack: 1 prune, some banana chips (freeze dried and vacuum fried from Trader Joe's, I'm so skeptical that these are in any way good for you. I wish I hadn't bought them. I'd like to give them away, they're not super tasty and I don't feel good after eating them)
    D: 1/2 apple, good portion brie (I still think that well cultured dairy products are O.K. on occasion), mug of bone broth
    Activity: walked 3m with four sprints, Crossfit

9/26/11
    B: 2 scrambled eggs w/ butter, 1 c. bone broth/carrot soup
    L: 1 can sardines, green beans + butter, 5 pieces bittersweet chocolate
    D: bowl of broccoli, bowl of arugula + mushrooms and bell pepper, sauteed
    Snack: handful of dried fruit (a dangerous path... way too easy to eat too many)
    Activity: 6 mile walk

9/27/11
    B: sauteed kale w/ coconut oil, 2 strips bacon, 1/4 c. coconut flakes + almonds
    L: 1/4 apple, good slice brie, 1 c. carrot soup, 4 pieces chocolate (ikea brand, tastes like crap and I find it addicting, glad there's no more in the house, not glad it's gone because I ate it all)
    D: Spinach and onion frittata with dollop of yogurt
    Activity: None

9/28/11
    B: 1 c. carrot soup, small piece leftover frittata
    L: baked zucchini, chicken livers + onions, 1 glass water kefir
    D: liver + onions, baked zucchini, handful of toasted coconut flakes

9/29/11
    B: 2 deviled eggs, 1/2 avocado, lime + salt
    L: 3/4 c. livers + onions
    Snack: AHHHH chocolate pig, lots of chocolate, didn't write down an amount, too embarrassed I guess.
    D: 2 zucchini, 1 hard boiled egg, 1/2 avocado, 1 whiskey ginger
    Activity: 3 mile walk

9/30/11
    B: handful almonds, 1/2 apple, 1 hard boiled egg w/ mayo (homemade), 1/2 t. honey + coconut kefir
    L: 1 smoked cisco (small fish), bite of bison brisket, 2T bent river camembert, 1/2 avocado
    D: 2 mugs carrot soup, big pile of roasted broccoli, 5 prunes, 3 dried bananas, spoonful coca powder w/ coconut + honey

10/01/11
    B: No breakfast (yoga, didn't want to eat before + ran errands after)
    L: big plate roasted veggies, glass of kombucha, reheated pork shoulder
    D: end of the pork shoulder (whew! small amount though), handful prunes, almonds + coconut flakes, 7 pieces of chocolate
    Snack: shot of homemade coconut milk
    Activity: Hatha yoga 1-2, 4 mile walk

10/02/11
    B: small bowl lover + onions, almost 1/2 avocado
    L: brussels sprouts + 1 can sardines in olive oil
    D: roasted broccoli, lemon + garlic, chicken breast w/ mustard cream sauce, 4 pieces bittersweet chocolate

10/03/11
    B: 1/2 c. chicken livers + onions, 1 mug homemade coconut cream w/ honey + green tea
    L: 1/4 c. homemade sunflower seed butter, 1 apple, 1 scrambled egg, tiny bit leftover broccoli, tiny bit honey w/ seed butter
    Snack: manchego slices w/ chile sauce
    D: a few green beans, butter, 3/4 bar shitty dark chocolate (damn you, Ikea! I found more. Chocolate monster!)
    Activity: 3 mile walk

10/04/11
    B: Big plate sauteed brussels sprouts, 1 egg over easy, 1 c. coconut kefir, 2 cups coffee w/ coconut oil
    Snack: small cup coconut flakes
    L: two handfuls prunes, one handful dried bananas, 2 slices roast tip sirloin
    Activity: None. Exhausted. The coffee completely threw me for a loop, didn't get anything done, felt crummy, back felt twinge-y. Obviously a VERY happy camper without coffee!!

Alright! That's my food journal so far.

Obviously, by three weeks of Crossfit, I meant 16 days! Hmm!