Thread: Sprinting versus Endurance Running (ER) page

Eddie Guest

Good morning everyone! As I sit here eating my eggs and steak I was thinking about how many people who live the PR lifestyle promote the idea of sprinting as either the only, or a major part, of ones cardio workout.

Being the closet anthropologist I am, I have read many studies on the human body type and its build for running. Most explain the body's type is built specificially for endurance running (ER) over long distances. Some, but not a lot, mention sprinting.

I was curious as everyone's thoughts on this topic.

Here is a link to one of the articles as well.

http://www.ch.unich.it/specializ/non...tog/testo3.pdf

LittleNappingLion is offline Senior Member

Hmm, that was interesting. I would think though that we're not built SPECIFICALLY for ER. If we ARE then i think it would be a comparitive thing. ie, energy output per minute for sprinting is higher compared to energy output per minute during a 1 mile run. That I would believe.

I think we're well built to do a wide variety of things, that's part of our evolutionary sticking power. Notice also how many thousands of years we've lived on grains, something we can clearly do but we're obviously not meant to do, optimally speaking.

Im sure the calculations they put out are right, but I just wonder about their conclusion. I think we needed to be well equipped for a variety of environments and conditions.

As for distance running, the only time I witnessed that in indigenous hunting was among male aborigines in australia. They found a wild cat and chased it until it pooped out and they could catch it. Sprints were used occasionally, but walking was the big one.

Walking on the other hand enables you to scan your surroundings looking for trouble, prints and trails, water etc. So when the men went out to hunt they wouldn't always come back with something, but the women, the steady walkers would always come back with plenty of food. Usually food that would have been easily missed if you'd been running by.

Just a thought.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Do a search on the forums and a search on Mark's home page. This has been discussed ad nauseum.

Here are the top ten reasons to not run marathons.

http://www.arthurdevany.com/articles/20091028

GotPrimal Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I think the confusion is we have been built/evolved to go long distances, Yes. Definitely.

But at very slow speeds, aka walking.

Sprinting is good, or even great, but 1-2 times a week for all the reasons posted by Mark and others here.