Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking Heat at the Gym...How to handle it? page

TPG
    TPG is offline Junior Member

Taking Heat at the Gym...How to handle it?

Primal Fuel
    I'm five weeks in to PB and a new fitness program, both of which I love. The fitness program is a UBC program, with 3 days of bands (60 min) and 3 days of cardio kickboxing (60 min). I have made it more PB friendly by listening to my body and slowing down when my heart rate gets too high for too long. And I dropped the Saturday workout because I felt like my body needed the extra day to rest. With those tweaks my body feels great and I have had excellent results in the first five weeks. I lost 15 inches, doubled my pushups, increased my bands by 1 to 3 bands, and took over a minute off my 1.5 mile time. All of this has been really positive for me.

So NOW today all the sudden one of the coaches has decided that I'm not working hard enough and was all over my case to step it up and not take breathers. RRRRRR. It's so frustrating! I had some of the best results of anyone in our class doing what I was doing. It's especially difficult for me because I'm ultra-competitive and it's a practice in maturity for me to slow down and do what's best for my body instead of performing for everyone else.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any tips on how to handle it? I don't want to challenge the gyms CW stance and make a big issue out of it. I just want to do my workouts in peace and enjoy them.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    *Rips shirt off* "Am I or am I not making you look good? Then back off."

Or is that challenging them?

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    smile. nod. ignore.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Well you could try, "fuck you buddy".

Or just get a different trainer if yours is a dick.

Or just explain exactly what you just wrote above, and make it clear that when it stops being effective, you'll start looking for ways to fix it.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    well if you are signed up for a particular training program and not doing what the coaches want what do you expect will happen? i say ditch the "program" and continue doing what you are doing on your own. seems to work ok

TPG
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    *Rips shirt off* "Am I or am I not making you look good? Then back off."

Or is that challenging them?
    Ha Ha! That's great. If only I had more than one ab. ;-) It's one more ab than I had 5 weeks ago, so maybe in 5 more I can throw it down with two or three.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    here's the way i see it.

outside of class or whatever, talk with the coaches about what you are doing, why, and how it is working for you, and that you do not like to be called out during class in that manner. if you have paid for a program, and they refuse to respect you (technically, you have hired their services), then you can ask for a refund and leave the program.

i teach yoga, and i do push my students, BUT i make sure i talk to them before/after classes about what is going on with them and what their goals are, because i'm here to HELP with those goals, not turn them off what i'm doing. KWIM?

TPG
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    well if you are signed up for a particular training program and not doing what the coaches want what do you expect will happen? i say ditch the "program" and continue doing what you are doing on your own. seems to work ok
    I've been considering this. Still being new to PB I'm a little hesitant about trying the fitness part on my own. Maybe after this class, I'll take a break and try it. I really like the kickboxing skills I'm learning though.

TPG
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    here's the way i see it.

outside of class or whatever, talk with the coaches about what you are doing, why, and how it is working for you, and that you do not like to be called out during class in that manner. if you have paid for a program, and they refuse to respect you (technically, you have hired their services), then you can ask for a refund and leave the program.

i teach yoga, and i do push my students, BUT i make sure i talk to them before/after classes about what is going on with them and what their goals are, because i'm here to HELP with those goals, not turn them off what i'm doing. KWIM?
    That's great advice, zoebird and Uncephalized. I should just talk to them about it. I'm not very good at explaining it but I'll give it a shot. Thanks!!

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by TPG View Post
    I'm five weeks in to PB and a new fitness program, both of which I love. The fitness program is a UBC program, with 3 days of bands (60 min) and 3 days of cardio kickboxing (60 min). I have made it more PB friendly by listening to my body and slowing down when my heart rate gets too high for too long. And I dropped the Saturday workout because I felt like my body needed the extra day to rest. With those tweaks my body feels great and I have had excellent results in the first five weeks. I lost 15 inches, doubled my pushups, increased my bands by 1 to 3 bands, and took over a minute off my 1.5 mile time. All of this has been really positive for me.

So NOW today all the sudden one of the coaches has decided that I'm not working hard enough and was all over my case to step it up and not take breathers. RRRRRR. It's so frustrating! I had some of the best results of anyone in our class doing what I was doing. It's especially difficult for me because I'm ultra-competitive and it's a practice in maturity for me to slow down and do what's best for my body instead of performing for everyone else.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any tips on how to handle it? I don't want to challenge the gyms CW stance and make a big issue out of it. I just want to do my workouts in peace and enjoy them.

Explain to these meatheads what "intervals" are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast