Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Supplements for Weightlifters? page

shiggles is offline Senior Member

Supplements for Weightlifters?

Primal Fuel
    Currently taking a good ratio Omega-3, 4000 iu Vitamin D and ZMA.

Not supplementing with any shakes or additives. Eating PLENTY of protein and fat. I still feel like I could be doing a little better in the Vitamin department, but I've been told that multivitamins are essentially worthless.

Anybody have success with supplements other than those I listed, while weightlifting regularly?
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away.

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    micronized creatine monohydrate. I stopped taking whey but will take this stuff instead. works.

you could try a little creatine. but stick to something simple. no need to use anything like cell-tech or anything like that. other than that, NO products are garbage and weight gainer products are just a ton of sugar.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    BCAAs just before lifting can be very helpful, especially if you're training fasted.

good point timothy. i would actually say that BCAAs are ONLY helpful if you're training fasted.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    I expect you're right, NotR. I've never used them any other way.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Most people need to fix, in order, these things before worrying about supplementation:

Lifts/sets/reps/weights
    Sleep
    Food
    Stress

Well I'm training with someone who has been doing it for years and is pretty damn massive for his height, so he must be doing something slightly right. But I'm definitely interested in hearing what you think about reps and weights.

My quality of sleep has improved exponentially since going primal, so not worried about that at all. I'm in Robb Wolf's camp when he says that the right diet and proper sleep is the most anabolic thing on the planet.

Stress? What, me worry??

I agree with you Apex, but maybe not in the same order. I would put food first. Eat clean and eat a ton. You aren't going to grow or see any sort of reasonable body composition changes until your diet is on point. Then worry about your lifts. Are you doing enough reps/sets/weight? Then make sure you are getting enough rest. Stress is at the bottom. Odds are, most people aren't lifting hard/heavy enough and eating enough to even worry about whether or not sleep and stress are negatively effecting their goals.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have (and so have others) seen a large change in body comp and growth. My diet is strictly Primal with shitloads of protein and fat, except for the cursed tequila on weekends.

I train to failure 3 days a week. I typically do 8 reps of every exercise 3 or 4 times. I usually do a combination of 4 lifts/pulls/flies per muscle group. If I can lift something 10 times I go up. By the 3rd or 4th set I almost always need a spot from my buddy. We definitely don't go light.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast