Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas for moving slowly and frequently through the office page

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member

Ideas for moving slowly and frequently through the office

Primal Fuel
    I no longer walk/bike to work because it's cold and raining so I need to increase my activity level some other way. I typically try to get up every half hour or hour to walk around the office, but it is usually 1-2 minutes all the way around. Bathroom is only about a 10 second walk away and I'm wearing heels, so squats are kind of hard. And no, I cannot ask for a standing workstation. Any ideas for what I could do to boost my heart rate or increase the amount of walking I can do?

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    any stairs in the building?

Clabbergirl is offline Senior Member
    I will be faced with this in a month or so. I have a coworker who walks in the parking garage on her lunch break when the weather gets bad. We have a well lit, secured, and monitored garage, so she feels safe to walk. The obstacle of cold is remedied with layers. Do you have anything like that close by? Or maybe a stepping stool in a file room that you could use for step ups?

napoleon1815 is offline Junior Member
    As a "computer guy" I have this problem too. Luckily we have a large covered parking garage...this is what I do...

1. At ~11am I get up and walk the garage for 15 minutes or so, then run up and down a less frequently used stairwell until my legs are like rubber. After I walk it off I do it again (for a total of three times).
    2. At ~3:30pm or so I do the same, but only do the stairs twice instead of three times

In both cases it leaves me "tired" enough that I don't mind sitting for the rest of the day, and takes around 25 minutes per outing I also park at the top level as far as I can...every bit helps I guess. It sounds like you don't have a setup like mine but hopefully you can find something!
    Last edited by napoleon1815; 10-06-2011 at 06:55 AM.

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    You live in Silicon Valley and are complaing of cold and rain? In the rest of the world, people get an umbrella, some rain boots, and a jacket and do just fine.

Sorry, I'm from Hawaii =P Recently moved, still getting used to the weather =[

But that stairs idea in the nearby garage sounds like a great idea. I'll search for one today!

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I usually take a walk during my lunch break outside. I skip it if it's raining, but if it's cold, I just wear a jacket. And I do a few squats every now and then. Could you just take off your heels to do those?

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I usually take a walk during my lunch break outside. I skip it if it's raining, but if it's cold, I just wear a jacket. And I do a few squats every now and then. Could you just take off your heels to do those?
    Yeah, but that's awkward because there is nowhere in the office I could do those without gaining a lot of attention and stares XD I would prefer to avoid that >_>

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    ^Handicap stall in the bathroom! Plenty of room
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast