Thread: Looking for some clarity page

Ollyneal is offline Junior Member

Question Looking for some clarity

Shop Now
    Hi everyone im a 22 yo male, im fairly new to fitness things, especially the primal way of life, for the last week or two i've been eating primal and now i'm looking at starting proper primal fitness, i'm fairly fit already and have done the self assessment on the primal fitness ebook and am ready to start my bodyweight routines

However the problem i have is that i also have access to a barbell, a bench and a whole bunch of weights at home, so part of me feels like i could get a better workout by using them in some way

I'd rather do just bodyweight exercises but (and i know this is really dumb and egotistical) i was just looking for clarification that bodyweight exercises alone would be enough to get me looking fit and in shape like Mark for example.

Like i say i know this is very naive and egotistical but im genuinely sick of the way i look and would like some conformation that the exercises on the primal fitness ebook will get me a body like Marks or will i have to eventually progress on to weights.

Many thanks in advance and i appreciate your time for reading and helping me out.

Olly.

P.S Loving the primal diet, it's pretty much cured my IBS which was the reason i searched and found the primal blueprint in the first place.

Scotty is offline Senior Member
    If I were you, I would use the weights. You should consider Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength program to get you going.

Actually, better advice would be to follow some of the posters who are more knowledgeable about building muscle on primal/paleo. Apex Predator is one who comes to mind. He has a fitness journal on here somewhere and will answer questions.
    Last edited by Scotty; 10-04-2011 at 04:16 AM.

EROCK is offline Junior Member
    My advice would be to do whatever kind of exercise you want. The important part is not what you do, it's how you do it. You're looking to put your muscles through the most intense, exhausting workout you can in order to stimulate the hormonal responses that are going to build muscle and burn fat.

And don't forget to get rest and lots of it!

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    I'm a believer in the iron, because that works for me and I like to see the progression of weight being added to the bar (just deadlifted 315 and it's a rush to see 3 plates on each side of the bar).

That said, if you are diligent in scaling up the bodyweight exercises either through adding reps or making them more difficult through changing the leverage, you will progress. Look at Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! and tell me Al isn't ripped and he uses mostly (if not only) bodyweight stuff.

Or, it's not an either/or thing. Do one day of the weights and 2 days of BW stuff. Or vice versa. The key is to find a program that works for YOU and keep at it consistently. Too many folks here have exercise ADD and change their programs constantly. You won't progress if you do that. Stick with something for 6 months and then reevaluate. But if you do decide to go the BW route, definitely check out Al Kavadlo's website. It's a terrific resource.

Ollyneal is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for your replies they've all been very helpful i think i'll probably do a two 15 min workouts with weights and one 15 min bodyweight workout each week.

Thanks again

Olly.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I do both as well. No reason to staunchly avoid weights. It's just that the body weight exercises often require more core strength and overall stability and balance, so they work out more muscle groups. But once you can do tons of chin-ups, it makes sense to up the ante somehow.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    I'm a believer in the iron, because that works for me and I like to see the progression of weight being added to the bar (just deadlifted 315 and it's a rush to see 3 plates on each side of the bar).

That said, if you are diligent in scaling up the bodyweight exercises either through adding reps or making them more difficult through changing the leverage, you will progress. Look at Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! and tell me Al isn't ripped and he uses mostly (if not only) bodyweight stuff.

Or, it's not an either/or thing. Do one day of the weights and 2 days of BW stuff. Or vice versa. The key is to find a program that works for YOU and keep at it consistently. Too many folks here have exercise ADD and change their programs constantly. You won't progress if you do that. Stick with something for 6 months and then reevaluate. But if you do decide to go the BW route, definitely check out Al Kavadlo's website. It's a terrific resource.
    I'm pretty sure I've heard Al say (over the internets, of course) that he has done exclusively body weight training for four or five years. I think I heard that. (Al, if i'm wrong, please correct me. Thanks.)

That being said, Al (and his brother) are on the cover of the new Convict Conditioning 2 book. The original one is fantastic- it's a great progression of body weight exercises for your whole body. I love it, and I'm getting great results from it.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    since you are just starting out, and you want to start with body weight, then do that.

a lot of it has to do with your body/muscle type. a friend of mine did all body work stuff (yoga plus push ups, chins, etc) and just increased his numbers (from 10 to 300 push ups throughout a day), and he was seriously ripped. he did "speed" bodyweight work outs, too. it was interesting. But, he also had a body type for it.

if yo find that you like the way you look just doing body weight, then continue. and if you find that you want more muscle mass, etc, then you might consider lifting weights, but it's entirely up to you. I think a person can look really great just doing body weight, sprints, and long-slow like the PBF download says.