Thread: Glycogen refueling maybe? page

Dlt
    Dlt is offline Junior Member

Glycogen refueling maybe?

Shop Now
    Ok I think Im on to something here but I'm not sure and need an objective opinion. Been primal/paleo for about a year. Going strong, but still dealing with sugar cravings. I'm thinking it's my job but idk. I'm a retail store manager, I work around 60 hrs a week-10 hrs a day x 6 days. Im in constant movement all day. I throw stock(stocking shelves and everything involved) and I do so at a VERY high rate of speed in short bursts. That is about 3 days a week. The rest of the week is lighter lifting and moving but it's constant over the whole day. I am very strict with my eating bc I have multiple allergies. So besides the obvious non primal offenders, I exclude fruit and most nuts. So I am on the lowest end of the carb curve. Ok! I'm wondering if my sugar cravings, which I do indulge in and last no more than a couple days out of every two weeks or so, are due to my job. I don't have time or energy really to exercise much outside of work besides some yoga and pull ups which I love. I weigh around 125 on a 5 ft 8 frame which puts my body fat at around a 6 or 7. Does this add up to anyone? I wonder if I just added in some more potatoes each day if this would curb the cravings. I really just dont feel well afterwards. Oh and my sleep is okay, I track it on my iPhone and average 7.5 hrs a night everynignt.

js290 is offline Senior Member

Dlt
    My diet is about 75% fat.

Dlt
    Thanks for the link though, thats one Eades article I haven't read.

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    Listen to the Kurt Harris interview on Robb Wolf's podcast a few weeks ago. He talks about this very issue- being borderline ketogenic, lean and active. Except he wasn't experiencing sugar cravings, but low energy and having difficulty keeping weight on. In his n=1 experement he started eating a bowl of rice crispies for breakfast and his energy returned marketably. The consensus seemed to be we run well on fat OR starch as fuels, and if you're not metabolically deranged and insulin resistant STARCH is not the enemy, fructose, gluten and industrial seed oils, yes.

But starchy tubers and white rice? Not really.
    Last edited by CE402; 10-04-2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Typo and continuity

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CE402 View Post
    Listen to the Kurt Harris interview on Robb Wolf's podcast a few weeks ago. Except he wasn't experiencing sugar cravings, but low energy and having difficulty keeping weight on. He talks about this very issue- being borderline ketogenic, lean and active. In his n=1 experement he started eating a bowl of rice crispies for breakfast and his energy returned marketably. The consensus seemed to be we run well in fat OR starch as fuels, and if you're nit metabolically deranged and insulin resistant STARCH is not the enemy, fructose, gluten and industrial seed oils, yes.

But starchy tubers and white rice? Not really.
    +1 on almost anything Kurt Harris writes.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I agree, up the carbs a bit (potatoes, white rice, sweet potatoes, whatever paleo-friendly carbs work for you).
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Dlt
    Thanks for the help guys. Kurt Harris is indeed quite awesome. That podcast was great too. I know he had been experimenting with his carb level but I haven't had time to catch up with him yet. I actually had a baked potato with lots of butter today with my steak at lunch and I do feel much better. No cravings. I'm doing the same tomorrow but with catfish and I have a TON of work to do and it'll probably last around 15 hrs so we will see how that works out. I was never carbophobic but maybe I was a bit too Nazi about macronutrients. Lol