Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not just a plateu - weight increasing! page

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Fuel

I have gained weight substantially in the last few days! For several weeks now I have been weighing and measuring everything that I eat and record it on fitday.com. A test before I started my diet showed a caloric consumption of 4000+ and carbs 300+. No sugar, rice, potatoes, grains. (At that time I was 274, which I found myself after a long road trip. Normally, for the last two years I've been about 284, I'm 6'3". My happiest weight was about 200, my goal.)

I worked my eating down to 1700-2000 or a touch more calories per day. Carbs right about 100, often half that.

My scale reads to the half pound and is very consistent. I always do my weigh-in in the morning after elimination for consistency. I sometimes weigh myself during the day, just to see what's going on, and before bed.

When I started this, I started walking five times a week at 3mph for 1/2 but usually 1 hour at the beach or over the bridge with a 50' rise. Unfortunately, I wounded my heal about 10 days ago and I'm still gimpy, so no significant walking since.

My weight history reads like this:

Six days ago, 271. Then, 269, 266, 265.5, 261, 263.5, 265.5. Know that the 261 was a fluke and I knew it. The day before my boat was sinking at the dock and I spent 8 hours of heavy exercise saving it. Sweated buckets if not barrels and worked myself into major aching. So I also knew that regaining the water the next day would be likely and I did.

But now, back to 265.5?????? Last night at bedtime, 285.5. WTF? I might be able to do some walking soon, but that can't be the whole thing. I did the online calorie counts and an hour of heavy walking for me burns only 150 calories more than reading. But I know there are other metabolic benefits.

Any thoughts other than don't give up? (I won't!) Is 100g of carbs so much worse than 50? For a guy that weighed 135 pounds in high school and always ate everything in sight and without penalty, this is killing me. But I'm doing it.

Errata: I meant no sugar, rice, potatoes once I started the diet.

jpmerc423 is offline Junior Member

Two things likely happened when you were rescuing your boat. You lost fluids which created an artificial drop on the scale, and you positioned your body to gain muscle (assuming some or much of it was intense). So two days later, as your fluids get back to normal, the weight comes back, but you may very well have replaced a 1/4 lb fat with a 1/4 lb muscle (or something like that).

I know you've heard it before, but the scale is a lousy measure of success. For example, the scale moves in the right direction for those who engage in chronic cardio and burn as much if not more muscle than fat. On the other hand, those who perform resistance training may actually gain weight – in the form of muscle.

Use the mirror, your clothes, and how you feel as the indicators of your success. I am the same weight I was two months ago, but I have dropped from a snug 36” waist to a comfortable 33”. If I had just looked at the scale, I might have quit.

Hang in there and stay focused. You’re doing great.

Rys
    Rys is offline Junior Member

Also, a few other things to consider:

1) You have a net weight loss of 5.5 lbs for the week!

2) You mention beach walking, but don't mention anything about weight lifting type activities. If you haven't been doing any, the "boat workout" would have been equal to starting (judging from the soreness you mentioned), and the initial sessions of weight lifting are notorious for messing with water retention.

3) Re the before bed weight: don't do it! You'll drive yourself nuts!! A several pound fluctuation through the day is expected. When you consider the weight of water, food you ate, etc, it's a meaningless change.

4) I'm going with jpmerc on this- grab a tape measure and get your numbers. Consider evaluating your progress on measurements and bodyfat %, not scale weight. I mean, all other things being equal, most people really want less FAT, which makes a scale useless unless combined with other measurements.

Rys

thebkon Guest

Relax! Weigh yourself once, maybe twice, a week not 3+ times a day. Your body goes through so much trying to find homeostasis that a flex of salt in your body could cause a rise or fall in water weight and thus your overall weight.

Plus, the more you worry and stress (am I getting enough fat and staying under 100 carbs? why aren't I losing weight? Oh crap I hurt myself, now what will I do?) the more cortisol you release (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cortisol/). My advice: look at the net result of the week (4.5 lbs) and throw out your extreme highs and lows (261 and 285). Relax and enjoy life; let the fact that you need to buy a new wardrobe be your goal not daily number flux. Finally, keep up the hard work!

thebkon

Tarlach is offline Member

I don't know how anyone can say what they weight to the nearest pound. My weight goes up or down by up to 3kg (7lb) over a few days. I weight myself at the same time each day and I'm not putting any fat on.

I certainly wouldn't freak out over a one off measurement, as you can only tell what is happening over the course of weeks.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

1968Tigers is offline Junior Member

I would just toss the scale.

Far too many are slaves to the scale.

I NEVER weigh myself.

Good luck either way.

Thanks for all the serious, good advice! My reactions:

1. I know about the scale advice, of course. But as long as I know that sometimes it will go up - and I do! - I find it rather interesting in a scientific way. The bed time weigh in is just curiosity to see what I lose overnight through regular metabolism and urination. My concern is how much it has gone up for two days.

2. Thanks for the thoughts on the unasked for excerise (boat fixin'). I've wondered about that myself.

3. I hadn't really considered doing the tape measure thing, I will. But I STILL want to lose weight! Yes, my old mother says I'm looking better, and the belt has tightened two notches.

4. I don't have any resistance type exercise opportunities unless it is lifting the Buick. Or bailing water! No weights, no way to put them into my life. Ditto just about anything else. I am my parent's caregiver and I live with them in their house.

5. After posting this thread, I made a simple spread sheet of daily carbs and calories and the next day's weight. Right off, I'll say I don't know if one should see some correlation that soon or not. Anyway, virtually no correlation. Pigged out some days, weight stayed the same. And the reverse.

Anyway, many many thanks for the great ideas and encouragement!

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Regarding number 4, why don't you get some resistance bands? They're really cheap, take up almost no room, and will be a great addition to your regular body-weight exercises.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

thebkon Guest

I agree with FlyNavyWife, you don't need barbells and kettleballs. Checkout GymJunkies, they have a tonne of exercises that are all about body weight (push ups, squats, etc). These types of exercises are extremely successful at making me sweat and I have been seeing some great results.

Remember, if you are tracking calories, it takes a 3500 calorie deficit (burn 3500 calories beyond what you consume) to lose 1 pound. A healthy pace for weight loss (but not a rule set in stone) is about 2lbs/week. This means if all of the fluid retention and waste management are held constant, 7000 calories must be burned above what you consume.

My first successes came from calorie counting but when I stumbled across this site I realized there is more than energy. It depends on the type of energy and how your body works with the matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast