Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P90x and running as part of my fitness-advice? page

cinico is offline Junior Member

Post P90x and running as part of my fitness-advice?

Primal Fuel
    Hello! Week 4 of eating fairly primal but have some question's regarding my fitness. I love my BB workouts and have done p90x, insanity, and turbofire, along with running! Stearing away from those fitness programs is bothering me! the idea of it is getting better though! I am on week 12 of P90x, just the lifting and yogax. Through out these last weeks of changing things up, I have cut back to 5 days of working out instead of 6. Here is what I am doing and I hope someone can guide me to a way of making my workouts more primal.

sat: bike,walk,run(2-3)miles
    sun: bik,walk,run(2-3)miles
    mon: rest
    tues: p90x upper body(warm up,workout,cool down)
    wed: p90x yogaX
    thus: p90x upper body
    frid: rest

I am only getting cardio on the weekends(i am running a 5k soon), for 60-90 minutes.

since I started I have only lost 3 pounds and that only happen in the first week! I would like to actually experiance the 1-2pounds lost per week.

Any input would be appreciated.

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    how much are you eating?

larlong is offline Junior Member
    I did a round of P90X before I found the PB, and I ran a lot too. The P90X program worked very well, but it was a lot of work and a lot of time. Since going Primal- about three months now- I get the same, if not better results with literally 1/4 the time commitment. I am still active, but other than "lifting heavy things" (LHT) twice a week and sprinting every 9 or 10 days, it's mostly doing things I just want to do- mountain bike riding, hiking, surfing, light jogs.

It looks like you've scaled down your workout, but the PB workout really focuses on full body movements- pull-ups, push-up, squats, press, plank. Some of the P90X workouts are good for this, but not those that focus on isolated movements. And all of the P90X workouts are longer than you need, to the point I would now consider it chronic. My avg. LHT workout, including warm-up, is about 30 minutes. And instead of running 4 or 5 times a week, I now jog a couple times a week. My sprints are the only time I really run, and that is only once every 9 or 10 days-- I'm too sore to do it weekly.

Still, by eating Primal, I look better than I did at the end of my P90X cycle, and I'm about 9 pounds lighter and at least a few % points leaner.

js290 is offline Senior Member

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Ignore JS290 and his predictable link spam. Does P90x work for you? Are you recovering ok? Are you tired/achy too much? Do YOU enjoy doing P90x? if you can answer these yes, yes, no, and yes, then keep doing it. If not, try something else.

I personally didn't like P90x, but that was me. I think you can get better results doing less, but again, that was my experience. I have friends who swear by P90x and recover well from it.

As for the running, it's fine. Keep at it.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I think you need lower body strength training. Is there a legs only DVD. What about the plyometrics?

Once a week of Upper, Lower, Yoga, Run, bike would be awesome.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    What I don't like about he strength training part of P90X is that it's diluted down and takes entirely too long. I do with proper weights and better form better training than I did in my P90X days in much less time. If you want to strength train, I think you should learn to the basics and focus on good form and getting stronger. Martin from Leangains current post is helpful I think independent from the leangains approach to meals.

Fuckarounditis | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    PB Fitness involves:
    1. Walking a lot. 3 hours or more per week.
    2. Sprinting. One or two sessions per week, no more. Each session should be 4-8 all-out sprints for up to 20 seconds.
    3. Lift heavy things. Body weight can do it for most people, or else hit the iron.

I dropped two minutes from my 2-mile run time by following this for about six months. Really. I was training to run a 2-mile run, and never actually ran more than one mile at a time. I'm still kinda in shock that it worked so well, but I'm going to keep doing it until next spring when I run my 2-mile test again and reevaluate.

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member
    As I've always said, P90x, unless you are already in awesome shape- is very close to Chronic Cardio if followed exactly as in the videos. They are just too long.

If you own the videos, like I do, you can still get great interval and HIIT workouts by hitting pause and only doing half the workouts (or 1/4 of the workouts!) at full intensity. I do like Tony a lot and think he's overall a great motivator and great trainer. In fact it's Tony who turned me on to Mark Sisson.

But to reiterate- the program as-is, IMO, is chronic cardio with an extra helping of cortisol...
    Last edited by astronmr20; 10-04-2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: typo

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by astronmr20 View Post
    As I've always said, P90x, unless you are already in awesome shape- is very close to Chronic Cardio if followed exactly as in the videos. They are just too long.

If you own the videos, like I do, you can still get great interval and HIIT workouts by hitting pause and only doing half the workouts (or 1/4 of the workouts!) at full intensity. I do like Tony a lot and think he's overall a great motivator and great trainer. In fact it's Tony who turned me on to Mark Sisson.

But to reiterate- the program as-is, IMO, is chronic cardio with an extra helping of cortisol...
    No it's not. Chronic cardio is steady state cardio keeping your HR elevated above 85% or so for lengthy periods of time (longer than 1 hour). P90X is not that. At worst, it's interval training of a sort using weights for about an hour (maybe slightly more, but that includes warm up and cool down). It's got built in rest periods and it's scalable. I'm not saying it's an ideal workout, but it's certainly not chronic cardio.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast