Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eggs, I can't stand them. page 2

jenh is offline Senior Member
    Vernon Hills, IL (Northern Chicago suburbs)
    Shop Now
    Eggs can also be too strong for me. If you really hate them that much; don't eat them. IF you want to try them, I mix in just a few slices of potato and lots of other veggies like onions, tomatoes, peppers, some bacon and/or sausage and/or ham and cheese...if I'm going exotic I'll find the broccoli ham and cheese. But I rarely eat eggs plain...and the MUST be scrambled or perhaps hard boiled if in a salad...
    My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    I completely understand. I am in the same boat. I have a very hard time stomaching eggs. I can eat them in things as long as it doesn't taste eggy. It is not even a gross out thing, eggs just make me gag. If I do manage to get them down I end up with rotten egg burps for hours afterwards.
    About the closest I can get to straight eggs is a cheese omelet. I still can't eat eggs if my stomach is even a little bit iffy(I take medication that annoys my stomach-Thyroid hormone, it's not one I can ever quit taking). I do ok with custards and quiches as long as the dominant flavor is not egg. The funny thing is I can do fish for breakfast with no problems. I usually do leftover meat and veggies and maybe a piece of fruit for breakfast. If I'm feeling fancy bacon or sausage and veggies. I'm still working on breakfast variations that don't include eggs or have well disguised eggs.

Ingvildr

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Solution: don't eat them. They're certainly not necessary for health, just a convenient little package of yummy protein and fat for those of us who enjoy them.

Meat and organs from grass-fed or wild animals are just as good.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

My breakfast drink most mornings has 2-4 eggs blended in it. You can't see, smell, or taste them. I love eggs but find I can burn out on them if I eat them every day. The morning shake is an easy breakfast and I can change the flavors to that morning's preference. I like coffee flavor, pumpkin, berry, chocolate-coffee, coconut mango, etc.

Start with just 2 raw eggs and add coconut milk or cream, and anything else. Blend really well with ice (or frozen fruit).

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightlystarched View Post
    Start with just 2 raw eggs and add coconut milk or cream, and anything else. Blend really well with ice (or frozen fruit).
    I would only eat the yolks raw. Egg whites contains toxins which need to be cooked IIRC.

EvansMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    I would only eat the yolks raw. Egg whites contains toxins which need to be cooked IIRC.
    Second that, and yes, I eat them raw in homemade mayo all the time.

I USED TO HATE EGGS TOO! I hated all the things you hate about them. I have learned to tolerate them well, and even enjoy them to some extent. My theory was this: a baby has to try something 10-15 times before you can actually tell if he/she dislikes something, and is not just rejecting something new. So I figured, same for me.

Easiest way: medium boil eggs (if the yolk has a green edge around it - it is over done). Then, slice them up and mix them in with your salad. Start with one. You will hardly even taste them. I have learned that I like yolks this way and that the white parts are the parts that taste the strongest.

Buy FRESH LOCAL eggs! It makes a major taste/health difference.

Make homemade mayo with raw (only if fresh/local eggs) egg yolks in it (oil is olive, bacon fat, or coconut butter), and make some tuna fish with the mayo. Keeps for about a week in fridge. Make some chicken salad with it too.

Then: move on to other egg dishes. I can't eat eggs plain. I have to cook them in ghee (2T), about three eggs, along with a saute mixture that I keep on hand (bell peppers, onions, squash, garlic, mushrooms), and warm a little up every day. I then eat one small bite of egg on a fork with some veggies on it to cut taste/texture. It works. So does tabasco. Or cheese if you do dairy (I don't).

P.S. I can only stand about 3 eggs scrambled per breakfast. HAve some meat along with veggie mixture too (broken up sausage).

LizardGurl is offline Member
    I am 54 years old. My entire life I have avoided eating eggs because they made me throw up. They really did, when I was three years old. My mother stopped offering them to me because it's not a lot of fun when your child pukes at the table. It's best to avoid having that happen.

Several months ago, when I decided to eat low carb (which I did before shifting to Paleo), I was having trouble finding things I wanted to eat for breakfast. I realized that everything would be simpler if only I liked eggs. I decided to make myself an omelet. I would try it, and if I didn't like it the Airedale Terrierists would have a FABULOUS morning.

Lo and behold, it was delicious!!!! I realized at that point that eggs were apparently amongst the list of things that my mother really cannot cook well (there are many things). I haven't looked back since. Farmer's Market Omelets are an integral part of my menu.

I have always been a picky eater. Moving to a Paleo diet and lifestyle has resulted in me trying foods that I always dismissed as not being things I liked. I'm trying to eat locally grown, in season foods that I procure at the farmer's market. A side effect of this has been me learning to cook and eat new things. I'm really enjoying the adventure.

LG

Check out my blog about a post-menopausal woman's Paleo journey. Includes recipes, reviews, links to interesting research, and musings about the journey. http://paleopassage.com

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardGurl View Post
    I realized at that point that eggs were apparently amongst the list of things that my mother really cannot cook well (there are many things).
    ha ha holy krap! I honestly think that might be the reason it was so easy when i was a kid to say that i hated steak. Or stew. Or sweet potatoes. Or lots of things. My mother just isn't that great a cook. Some things she does fine (like the thanksgiving turkey). But honestly she doesn't even like cooking so i don't understand why she bothered. I think i started hating milk a lot b/c she couldn't tell if it was bad or not. So it really always tasted bad to me. I started drinking soda ASAP!

lucky for me, at least she could cook eggs!

Trifith is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the advice! I'll try some of these ideas. Probably start with the one egg in my salad mix idea first. I would like to like eggs, for the convenience at breakfast if nothing else. (A bagel was nice for that, before I realized how bad they were.) We'll see how it goes.

Liam is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    As a lifelong cereal eater, switching to eggs for b'fast was tough. I too couldn't handle the whole egginess of it all.

But then in a fit of inspiration my wife added some organic tomato pasta sauce in with my scrambled eggs. Now I'm addicted. I can have them anytime. Last week I even enjoyed a great big delicious gogg (goose egg).

So that was the key for me - adding in tomatoes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12