Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Siren) page

Siren is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal (Siren)

Shop Now
    My Starting Point:
    123lbs, ~24% body fat (according to traditional BMI measurements; it's probably more like 21 or 22), dress size about 4

My Goals:
    115lbs, ~15% body fat, dress size 0-2

My Time Frame:
    To reach my goal by Dec 9, 2011 (my 30th birthday!)

I'll be posting my food/workout entries as responses to this post, just to streamline things a bit, but feel free to comment on any of the posts. Thanks for the support in advance; I'm looking forward to becoming an active member of the Grok community! =)
    Last edited by Siren; 10-11-2011 at 07:52 AM.

What I Ate:
    B- 1/4 of a leftover fritatta made with 5 eggs, a chopped bell pepper, 1/2 chopped onion, and 1/2 can of roasted green chilies, topped with cheddar cheese, salsa, and a nice dollop of sour cream; a handful of organic blackberries; ~2 cups coffee w/ ~2 tbsp half & half and a packet of Stevia in the Raw

Black tea w/ 1 packet Stevia in the Raw

L- Tuna salad made w/ 6oz chunk light tuna in water, a couple squirts of mayo, a generous pour of olive oil, a squirt of lemon juice, a few shakes of salt, several turns of the garlic pepper grinder, 1/2 chopped bell pepper, 1 diced celery stalk, and ~1/4 chopped onion; spooned the salad into a few endive leaves (like those fancy hors d'oeuvres at swanky parties); ~2 cups of red leaf lettuce and arugula tossed with a couple tbsp crumbled bacon bits (the real deal, not Bac-Os >P) and homemade ranch dressing (buttermilk, mayo, full-fat Greek yogurt, chopped dill & chives, a few turns of garlic pepper) BTW: I didn't finish all the tuna salad, and what I did eat took me over 2 hours! =S

S- ~1/3 cup dried, unsweetened coconut flakes

(Finished rest of tuna salad and endive)

D- 1 sirloin burger made with chopped bacon & bleu cheese; strawberries dipped in melted dark chocolate & mascarpone cheese (well, that was more like dessert, but all the same...)

Cheats- 3 pieces (each about the size of a marble) dark chocolate-covered pomegranate things... SOOOOO goooooooood O_O that's why I only had 3 =S

WOD: First time doin it Primal at the gym! =) Did the self-assessment from PBF (and did it barefoot!), found out how far I have to go before I hit my goals, but I know the journey is part of the fun so I'm looking forward to tomorrow's Move Slowly day =)
    Totals:
    5 push-ups
    0 pull-ups
    4 dive bombs
    35 squats =)
    Held forearm/feet plank for 45 seconds

Notes for the Day: Had a great day! Maybe went too far with the sugary stuff though, it's my new weakness =/
    Last edited by Siren; 10-05-2011 at 12:05 PM.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. I hope primal goes well for you.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

What I Ate:
    B- 2 hard-cooked eggs fried in butter; raspberries & blueberries with ~1/4 c full-fat Greek yogurt; 2 cups coffee with ~2 tbsp half & half and a packet of Stevia in the Raw

1 cup ginger tea w/ 1 packet Stevia in the Raw, had a mild stomach ache =(

L- The other 2 burgers from last night (sans bun of course); ~2 cups arugula with olive oil/balsamic vinaigrette

1 cup apple cinnamon herbal tea w/ 1/2 packet Stevia in the Raw

S- 3 stalks celery spread with cream cheese; ~3oz lox; ~1oz total of almonds, cashews, & macadamia nuts

D- a few bites of mashed fauxtatoes... i wasn't really hungry, actually. went to bed completely sated. =)

WOD: Had a Move Slowly day, but the purpose was to find out what settings on the treadmill would get me to my target heart rate (min 55% of max). It wasn't really a full workout, just an assessment (kinda like yesterday).

Notes on the Day: Didn't sleep well last night, feeling irritable today and energy is low. Maybe had too much sugar yesterday and am feeling the crash now =/ also got a mild stomach ache after breakfast; eggs again? or the yogurt? I'll have to track it and see... Didn't eat dinner, but felt fine. i'm enjoying this... =)
    Last edited by Siren; 10-05-2011 at 12:10 PM.

Thanks, hedonist! =)

What I Ate:
    B- 1 italian pork sausage; ~1/2 c full-fat Greek yogurt w/ ~1 c raspberries; a few bites of lox w/ cream cheese; ~2 cups coffee w/ ~2 tbsp half & half and 1- 1/2 packets Stevia in the Raw

Mint tea w/ 1 tsp sugar (there was no Stevia )

L- 1 italian pork sausage; mashed fauxtatoes; 1/ 2 sliced apple with Unie Kaas cheese (yummmmm...)

Apple cinnamon herbal tea with 1 tsp sugar

D- skipped dinner due to emotional eating (see below); ate 7 smallish strawberries, a roughly 2 square inch of dark chocolate, and WAY too many coconut chips (like, at least a cup =/ )

WOD: Nothin today, it's a Rest day =)

Notes on the Day: Didn't eat dinner last night, but it didn't really affect me. Woke up only kinda hungry. I brought the Greek yogurt to see if that's what gave me the stomach ache yesterday morning. So far, so good. =) Had car trouble after work, transmission may be messed up =( =( =( queue my emotional eating...
    Last edited by Siren; 10-06-2011 at 08:44 AM.

What I Ate:
    B- 1 egg fried in butter, 1/2 grapefruit w/ 1/2 tbsp sugar; ~2 cups coffee w/ ~2 tbsp half & half and 2 packets Stevia in the Raw

S- a few bites of lox (the last of it); 1oz stick of cheddar cheese; a handful of walnuts

L- arugula & spinach salad w/ goat cheese, roasted red peppers, & balsamic vinaigrette; hard-boiled egg rolled in salt & pepper

S- 1/2 c Noosa honey yogurt w/ ~1 cup of fresh blueberries; ~1oz almonds, cashews, & macadamia nuts

D- 2 salmon burgers cooked in butter; 1/ 2 can of garlic green beans (cooked in olive oil and sprinkled w/ salt & garlic pepper)

WOD:
    Had to skip, car is messed up, couldn't get to the gym =(

Notes on the Day: Woke up with a stomach ache, had (ahem) less than desirable stools by 10am; probably stress-induced... or could've been the excessive coconut chips last night... or the 2 sausages... hard to tell. =/ This is most definitely a grazing day, and other than the lox and the salmon, no meat. I'll chock it up to bad hunting day for this Grokette. =)
    Last edited by Siren; 10-07-2011 at 06:25 PM.

What I Ate:
    B- bowl of fat, juicy blackberries w/ ~1/2 c full-fat cottage cheese; ~2 cups coffee w/ ~2 tbsp half & half and 2 packets Stevia in the Raw

S- handful of pistachio nuts

L- El Pollo Loco: 2 piece meal (leg & thigh), side salad & stemed veggies; ~8 fl oz Minute Maid Light Lemonade (the unsweetened tea tasted TERRIBLE >P)

D- (which stands for dessert today) 1-1/2 glasses pinot grigio; a 2 in square of dark chocolate; the last of the Unie Kaas aged gouda... OM NOM NOM =)

WOD:
    Did a lot of walking since the car was in the shop all day, but even though i missed my first day of sprints and my yoga class, it felt good to walk around some =)

Notes on the Day: Didn't get much sleep after coming home at 1am and waking up at 7am, but should get plenty of sleep tonight. Today was sort of like a fruitful day of foraging followed by a successful hunt (although chicken isn't exactly an elusive critter... hahaha). I've noticed that I don't get hungry for "dinner" as long as I've eaten a decent lunch or a good Primal snack by 6pm. Since I now know that you don't HAVE to eat 3 times a day (or 6, or 12, or whatever), I'm no longer worried about it. I think I'll be shifting my "big" meal from dinner to lunch, and just cook for lunch the next day whatever I would have planned for dinner that night. That way, if I really am hungry, I'll eat what I'm cooking, and if not, I've got lunch taken care of for tomorrow already. Works for me =)
    Last edited by Siren; 10-08-2011 at 07:34 AM.

What I Ate:
    B- 2 eggs scrambled w/ sauteed onions (in butter of course), a nice sprinkle of parmesean cheese, a dash of pepper and a healthy toss of salt; a handful of blueberries; 1/2 a kiwi; ~1 c goat's milk; ~2 cups coffee w/ ~2 tbsp half & half and 2 packets Stevia in the Raw

S- sliced Granny Smith apple smothered in cashew butter

D- Chicken thigh & leg; roasted butternut squash & red chard; salad w/ balsamic olive oil dressing and a few turns of the garlic pepper grinder; 1-1/2 glasses pinot noir; a small piece of dark chocolate

WOD:
    Wasn't feelin up to it (the crimson tide has arrived, so my energy is pretty low)

Notes on the Day: Couldn't do the grocery shopping this morning (somethin's wrong with mom's bank), so this week might be very low on meat. I'll just chock it up to a series of unsuccessful hunts... very Grok-like. =)
    Last edited by Siren; 10-10-2011 at 07:32 AM.

What I Ate:
    B- nothing to eat (sort of an unplanned IF), just a cup of coffee w/ a tbsp of half & half and a packet of Stevia in the Raw

S- a short breve latte from Starbucks (my single cup of coffee wasn't enough, but I still wasn't actually hungry)

S- ~1 cup goat's milk

S- ~1/2 cup full-fat cottage cheese; ~1oz almonds, cashews, & macadamia nuts

D- 6oz salmon fillet made with fresh lemon juice, olive oil, & italian seasoning; roasted aparagus tossed in olive oil & salt

WOD:
    I'd consider all the cooking I did today to be quite a workout! =)

Notes on the Day:
    We were able to get the grocery shopping done (figured out what happened with the card), so I was able to cook the 'Comfort Foods' menu from Sep 24. It took 3-1/2 hours, and I roasted a whole chicken along with it, but it was rewarding to get a week's worth of lunches/dinners done in one day. I'm a little worried about the pot roast though; I think it may come out rubbery instead of tender =( I'm also a bit worried about the fauxtatoes- the turnips have a strange fore-taste (the flavor that hits your tongue first), although the texture and aftertaste aren't all that bad. And hey, if it really tastes like crap, at least we only spent 99 cents on the cauliflower and $2 on the turnips, so if we have to throw it out it won't be a huge waste of money. But I'm zapped now, hoping to get a really good night's sleep so I can wake up refreshed and ready to go to the gym for my first real LHT workout! =)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast