Thread: Primal Journal (BC Eagle) page

BC Eagle is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal (BC Eagle)

Primal Fuel
    So I finally decided to commit "officially" by making my Primal Journal thread. For a bit of background, I am 22 years old, I weigh about 210 lbs. with I'm guessing about ~20% body fat (this is an estimate based on looking myself in the mirror--no substantial testing has been done). I am a former athlete (played football in high school, starting training in Muay Thai when I was 17 and stopped about a year and a half ago) but I am not currently in any sort of competition shape. College did wonders on my body (alcohol, no sleep, greasy fried foods and tons of processed carbs) but now that I've graduated, I've decided to change things up and attain my athletic potential.

I discovered CrossFit a few years ago which led me to the Paleo Diet, which I dabbled with (with some success...lost ~20lbs. doing paleo+dairy about 2 years ago) but never really stuck to. I re-discovered the Paleo diet this past year and managed to find my way to MDA, which I liked because it was more of a lifestyle adaptation rather than simply a diet. I'm excited for both the process and the results of a Primal change.

I travel pretty frequently on weekends, so I'm going for an 80/20 ratio here over the course of the month.

My goals:
    - Achieve a body weight of 202lbs. with the same muscle mass I currently have by 11/2/11.
    - Run a 7:30 mile by 11/2/11.
    - Perform 70 push-ups without breaking by 11/2/11.
    - Perform 12 pull-ups without breaking by 11/2/11.

I am not doing strength goals just yet because I'm not exactly sure what my lifts are at right now. I'm considering joining a local CrossFit affiliate this week. Normally I do the workouts as best I can from home, but my equipment is limited, and I'd love to get that social team-environment back. At the very least, I will be doing the free trial this week and then taking it from there.

Looking forward to the journey.

Rob

Day 1

I. Nutrition

B: Skipped

L: 4-egg omelette, w/ mushrooms and broccoli. Mushrooms were sauteed with butter, and broccoli was steamed with butter added afterward. Veggies were leftovers from last night.

S: Handful of walnuts

D: 3 slabs of Tilapia, sauteed spinach with garlic

II. WOD

Checking out CrossFit Revenge in Levittown, NY tonight. I've heard great things and it looks reputable. I went to high school with some people that train there. We'll see what sort of punishment they have on the first day.

UPDATE: Workout was Betty

12 push press (135/85)
    20 box jumps (24"/20")

Results (85lbs.) - 19:12

III. Notes

Interestingly enough, I have been doing this for about 4 days now, and my body comp seems completely unaffected. It will take me a few more days of experimenting to figure out exactly what the reasoning is, but I will certainly be looking closely at this. I think the CrossFit workout will be helpful. We all know how grueling their workouts can be, but what I'm most excited for is the element of play involved. CrossFit affiliates become kind of like a team sport due to the competitive nature of the workouts and the group-class format. This should be fun (and painful). Have been working on getting my life organized and being more productive at work, which hopefully will reduce clutter and stress. Will update later.
    Last edited by BC Eagle; 10-04-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks Hedonist!

Day 2

I. Nutrition

B: Protein shake (2 24g scoops in water), almonds

L: Greek salad (lettuce, black olives, red onions, chicken, olive oil and red wine vinegar)

S: Strawberries and cranberries, almonds

D: 2 relatively decent sized slabs of steak done on the grill. No veggie unfortunately.

S: Raspberries

II. WOD

"Elizabeth"

21-15-9 reps for time

Clean 135lbs.
    Ring Dip

Results (95lbs.): 16:30

III. Notes

Unfortunately I was really tossing and turning last night, so I didn't start the day coming from a good night of sleep. I struggled through a day at the office and crashed for about an hour and 45 minutes when I got home (feeling much better). I had a headache for a lot of today, and I think it's because I got too deep into ketosis, being that my carbs have been a little too low. I decided to keep moving forward with CrossFit Revenge, and once my free week is up, I will be joining. I consider CrossFit to be a combination of lifting heavy things, sprinting, and playing, so I'm glad I was able to hit those areas. I really have to up my veggie intake, which is probably where my diet is lacking the most. CrossFit is really leaving me sore, but it's so worth it! Aside from this morning, where I was a little groggy, I've felt strong energy levels and I've really had an easy time staying focused and on-task with work. Happy with the progress so far.
    Last edited by BC Eagle; 10-05-2011 at 12:00 PM.

Day 3

I. Nutrition

B: Can of tuna; peppers and broccoli fried on low heat in olive oil; 5 strawberries

L: -

S: 4-egg omelette w/ feta cheese; almonds

D: -

S: -

II. WOD

"Frankenchipper"

500m row
    400m run
    30 kb swings, 53lbs.
    21 pullups
    50 thrusters, 45lbs.
    30 wall ball shots, 20lb. ball
    3 rds. of Cindy (5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats)
    30 box jumps, 24"
    21 handstand pushups
    50 double-unders
    30 knees-to-elbows
    21 burpees

Results: 47:50

III. Notes

Pretty sore today, but trying to stretch and eat enough today to get me ready for this monster of a workout. Got a good night of sleep last night, so I feel good. I'll be hitting the 8:00 class at CrossFit Revenge tonight, and I'm sure it'll put me on my ass. Looking forward to it!

UPDATE: crossfit killed me. need sleep.
    Last edited by BC Eagle; 10-05-2011 at 06:55 PM.