Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Is sugar worse than smoking? page

  1. #1
    rockstareddy's Avatar
    rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    UK Midlands
    Posts
    598

    Is sugar worse than smoking?

    Primal Fuel
    Dont get me wrong they are both doing terrible things in todays society.
    But everytime a smoker gets some critisim its usually by someone in the office eating a doughtnut.

    I thought about this and then wrote this:

    In perspective: Is sugar worse than smoking?

    I would love your thoughts. Do you agree?
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

    No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

  2. #2
    petriquor's Avatar
    petriquor is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    207
    I see your point, but to say outright one is worse for you than the other is kind of silly. Obviously the impact sugar has on our body is largely unknown by the general population, plus the omnipresence of it makes it quite dangerous. I'd say it's virtually impossible to quantifiably compare their effects though.

  3. #3
    wendywoman71's Avatar
    wendywoman71 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Gardnerville, NV
    Posts
    6
    I quit smoking and sugar a week ago on Sunday. Both of them suck! Your health is negatively impacted but it is more socially acceptable to eat sugar than smoke now. I don't want to have anything to do with them for the rest of my life. I am enjoying the natural taste of fruit now and I cannot believe it's been over a week since I've eaten any form of sugar. A day wouldn't go by in the past when I would be dying for sugar. My smoking craving was NEVER that strong.

  4. #4
    Apex Predator's Avatar
    Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,354
    Having done both and been around both for decades, I can assure you smoking is much worse.

  5. #5
    Heidi's Avatar
    Heidi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    529
    As an ex-smoker, I found it relatively easy to quit compared to quitting sugar. Sugary junk can be bought just about everywhere and is still accepted in many circles (doughnuts at the office, cake at a party, pie at the family get-together). It's hard to resist sugar when other people are egging you on and it's taunting you everywhere you go (vending machines, grocery store, hell even the doctor's office has a candy jar). Maybe I'm just weird, but my cravings for cigarettes died out quickly compared to sugar cravings, which I'm still dealing with. And when I did cave in to a cig during my initial quitting stages, I didn't binge on them like I do when caving in to sugar.

    And thinking about addictions, I also had an alcohol problem years ago. That, too, was a lot easier to quit than sugar. Maybe it's because with alcohol the physical problems are more apparent (blacking out, hangovers) but with sugar it's such a slow degradation of health that we fool ourselves into believing it's just normal aging. If we can't admit there's a problem and even the government is part of the propaganda, how is the average citizen supposed to get motivated to change?
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

  6. #6
    gojirama's Avatar
    gojirama is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    674
    Sugar may be worse for individuals because it's more socially accepted and therefore more people get addicted to it; smoking is absolutely worse for society because you can never smoke and still have your health affected by second hand smoke.
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

  7. #7
    pjgh's Avatar
    pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Halifax, UK
    Posts
    1,233
    Not all smokers end up with cancer. Not all compulsive sugar eaters end up with diabetes. The links are definite, but also casual.

    I'm an avid fan of personal choice and personal responsibility. Be armed with the facts and make your own decision. Folks who give off the cuff health comments - that tapeworm vegan who keeps nattering about eating animals, that health nut who extolls the virtues of wholegrain, that paleon who keeps bleating on about saturated fat ... they all need taking down a peg or two and a slide-in comment to the anti-smokers is always one which I enjoy.

  8. #8
    rockstareddy's Avatar
    rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    UK Midlands
    Posts
    598
    Quote Originally Posted by petriquor View Post
    I'd say it's virtually impossible to quantifiably compare their effects though.
    absolutely, no doubt
    Quote Originally Posted by wendywoman71 View Post
    I quit smoking and sugar a week ago on Sunday. Both of them suck! Your health is negatively impacted but it is more socially acceptable to eat sugar than smoke now. I don't want to have anything to do with them for the rest of my life. I am enjoying the natural taste of fruit now and I cannot believe it's been over a week since I've eaten any form of sugar. A day wouldn't go by in the past when I would be dying for sugar. My smoking craving was NEVER that strong.
    Well done! Having stopped both at the same time is such a massive achievement keep it up!

    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    As an ex-smoker, I found it relatively easy to quit compared to quitting sugar. Sugary junk can be bought just about everywhere and is still accepted in many circles (doughnuts at the office, cake at a party, pie at the family get-together). It's hard to resist sugar when other people are egging you on and it's taunting you everywhere you go (vending machines, grocery store, hell even the doctor's office has a candy jar).
    That is really well worded, wish I couldve summarised it like that. People truly dont realise sugar is addictive, and its everywhere. hadn't thought of alcohol, would be interesting if there are some stats out there to compare the cost to the health service, but I imagine its less.

    Quote Originally Posted by gojirama View Post
    Sugar may be worse for individuals because it's more socially accepted and therefore more people get addicted to it; smoking is absolutely worse for society because you can never smoke and still have your health affected by second hand smoke.
    Good point with second hand smoke. Relates a little to the impact on kids too actualy. Maybe its not just sugar they are subjected at a young age.
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

    No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

  9. #9
    Timothy's Avatar
    Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    West Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    714
    If you look at centenarians, many of them smoke daily. None that I'm aware of indulge in sugar daily. So I venture that sugar is worse from a longevity standpoint.

  10. #10
    Apex Predator's Avatar
    Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,354
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    If you look at centenarians, many of them smoke daily. None that I'm aware of indulge in sugar daily. So I venture that sugar is worse from a longevity standpoint.
    While smoking obviously isn't good for you, I wonder how much primal protects against it's damage.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •