Thread: The pullup bar from the main page/weekend links?? page

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member

The pullup bar from the main page/weekend links??

I've been giving thought to trying to build a freestanding/semi-portable unit very similar to that and was curious as to whether anybody had used one?

I didn't know there was one in production, but unfortunately at 6'5" with gorilla arms even the newer model 92" is not going to be high enough for me to hang from and I hate doing pull-ups in the fetal position..

Outside of trying to build one, the only other feasible option I can come up with would be buying a commercial 9ft power rack, and I really do not want to drop that kind of coin just to be able to do pullups at the house. I do not want to put a permanant structure in my yard and the ceilings in my garage are about 20 feet high, so tying into the rafters is out.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Do pull-ups on basketball rims you tall freak.

=]

tcb
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Do pull-ups on basketball rims you tall freak.

=]
    Ha!

likely result:

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    if the ceilings are 20 feet in your garage just get a wall mounted pull up bar off ebay and mount it at whatever height you want.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=....c0.m270.l1313
    Last edited by Mike Gager; 10-03-2011 at 09:33 AM.

dado Guest
    i agree with mike gager.

hey mike gager, it is good to see you are alive still with that squat rack you made.

tcb
    Thanks mike, i'll have to investigate those more.. Have you used one? If memory serves me correct, you are a bigger guy as well.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Hang some rings in your garage. You could even hang a bar from straps. This would probably be much easier than trying to build something solid down from the ceiling, and easier to move out of the way if you need the headspace for a vehicle or something. The swing of the straps is a little different than a solidly-mounted bar, but the effects are just as good, if not better, as you have to stabilize yourself to keep from swinging too much.

You could build a base (or pair of bases) for that pullup bar to stand on to give you extra clearance underneath it. The bases could serve as steps for anyone else using the bar.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcb View Post
    Thanks mike, i'll have to investigate those more.. Have you used one? If memory serves me correct, you are a bigger guy as well.
    no i havent used one, my garage ceiling is only 8 feet so i just made one hanging from the rafters. i have to try to do them in the fetal position lol

tcb
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    You could build a base (or pair of bases) for that pullup bar to stand on to give you extra clearance underneath it. The bases could serve as steps for anyone else using the bar.
    That's an option I considered when first seeing the unit, but I'm pretty sure I could get one of my rock crawling buddies to fab me one to spec for less and wind up with a higher quality unit. My question mainly is to the stability of the design, particularly for larger individuals.

Mr. Gager certainly pointed me into a more cost effective solution... That being said, with all the other crap I've run into in this old house of mine, it wouldn't surprise me if the builder used some ridiculous non-conforming spacing between the studs. I will have to locate my stud finder and explore that option.
    Last edited by tcb; 10-03-2011 at 11:30 AM.