Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diet for dogs better than normal but not raw? page

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member

Diet for dogs better than normal but not raw?

Shop Now
    Anyone have any recommendations for food and where to buy them that is better than traditional grain products for dogs that isn't raw? I'm pretty sure raw at this point making 10.00 an hour is outside of my budget if I want to do anything besides feed my dog :P.

I am however thinking about getting them something better than standard as I love my dogs and if I ever get the money I need I might do raw but for now I don't think I can.

Thanks for any and all input.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    I have just started looking into feeding raw, and it will actually cost me less than the decent grain-free dog food that I currently feed my dog and cat.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

MissKiminy is offline Junior Member

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Costco carries a grain-free food for a reasonable price, and the bag reads fairly well, you could give it a try.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

MadelynMc is offline Senior Member
    We give our dog Blue Buffalo grain-free. He gobbles it up. Hopefully by the next time he goes to the vet he will have dropped some weight.

What is the brand that Costco carries? I haven't seen it before.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    I believe its called Nature's Domain, I know its made by the same people who produce Canidae and Taste of the Wild. I'll probably give it a try, the price is pretty reasonable at I think $35/bag.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Taste of the Wild is probably the least expensive option I have found out there with reasonable ingredients. If you can find a place that gives you a free bag after 10 or 12 purchases of the same stuff that also cuts down on the cost.

I am actually cutting the Taste of the Wild with some of the Costco Grain free to save, the budget has gotten tight for us. The costco brand changed recently, its now 'Natures Domain Salmon Meal and Sweet Potato'. It also shot up in price, from $29 for 35# to $37. Also, I found when I fed the Costco brand exclusively, they had a TON of poo.....must have A LOT of sweet potato filler or other un-digestables in there. So I cut in about half a costco bag to 1 of the TOTW, seems to be best for their health and 'poo' output.

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    I've been feeding my dog the grain-free brand available at Costco for 2 or 3 bags' worth, and she loves it, and her coat looks great, no downsides afaict. The variety in NC is I think salmon and sweet potatoes, or something like that.

It's a very reasonable price IMO. Just hope they continue carrying it, as the other brands' prices are a bit sky high for me!
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member
    Canola oil is listed in Taste of the Wild...is that better for dogs than it is for us...is it a cost cutting thing because otherwise their dog food would be really expensive?

Canola was on the list of bad oils at least for humans right? High Omega 6 content maybe even transfat?

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/dealer_locator/

They have tons of online stores....any recommendations on any of them or a good rating site that I can use to ferret out advantages and disadvantages?
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

Leaflard is offline Senior Member
    I feed our dog and cats pet food from Orijen. They love it and have actually slimmed down since eating food that doesn't contain grains. Amazon.com: Orijen Regional Red Grain-Free Dry Dog Food, 5.5lb: Pet Supplies is a link to the dog food on Amazon.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast