Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on working out while working a very physically active job? page

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member

Suggestions on working out while working a very physically active job?

I just got a new job and it's a kick in the ass. I'm a truck driver and I deliver supplies to local Starbucks all over the state of Colorado. My day is 8-12 hours of moving heavy shit into and out of the truck. For example, I delivered over 500 gallons of milk tonight (each crate of 6 weighing about 50 pounds) and that's just part of what I do. I'm not really all that sore, but I do break a sweat each night and feel a full-body stiffness in the morning. Any suggestions on how to incorporate a weightlifting routine into a work schedule like this? I'm thinking that I can just eliminate ALL side/isolative work and just focus on the big-3 lifts and maybe a little HIT cardio.

Goals: general fitness/athleticism, maintain a relatively high level of strength, slow fat loss, hypertrophy.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Jokaman70; 10-03-2011 at 05:13 AM.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

dado Guest
    maybe you will not be able to train 3 times a week, but two times, and maybe only two exercises per session.

a man in your situation must be conservative with his training. you will still gain much strength but it will take you slightly longer time, and this is no problem.

primalTatoolover is offline Senior Member
    it really depends on your recovery period. the problem with your kind of job is the inconsistency you sit on your butt between runs and then poof you gotta do all this lifting and altho its great in the sense it mimics HIIT but constant lifting all day is messed up for ur back and sitting in a cramped truck just makes it worse...i would wholly suggest twice a week just murder yourself HIIT with something like ....
    day 1: Bench press 1 set to failure
    imm.followed by pushups to failure
    Deadlifts-find a good solid weight you can do 20 of where you feel like dying and slowly raise the weight and lower reps until your at 3-5 eventually (do this over the course of weeks not one session lol) failure is always best
    Day 2: breathing squats(20 squats heaviest weight you can manage-prepare to die)
    overheadpress until failure
    10 min rest(yes u need it altho if you find u need less go for it)
    pullups/chinup 1-2 sets until failure (i usually do pullups first then 2nd set chinups as chinups are easier to perform)

this is simple and effective...on off days if you want to do like 1 set of weighted planks to hit your core until failure its great as well..esp since youre lifting alot...i would suggest tho doing the core and the deadlift day on the weekend or whever you have a day or two off the next day to allow for proper recovery! i would also 10000 percent recommend getting into a daily twice a day at least stretch routine ...it rlly helps alot bud! GOOD LUCK!

i would give very long resting periods between sets 3-5 minutes btw expect where i say immediately lol oh and of course! eat properly!

dado Guest
    Overhead pressing to failure doesn't seem like a good idea.

I can't believe someone can suggest overhead pressing to failure. Automatically ignore anything this person says.
    Last edited by dado; 10-03-2011 at 08:33 AM.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    1. Ensure your posture and lifting techniques are good AT ALL TIMES will working (even when driving the truck).
    2. Eventually, your body will adapt to that load, but for right now you probably don't really need to do much more lifting unless you really want to.
    3. Do some sprints once or twice a week.
    4. Hypertrophy isn't really a goal, is it? If you want to get strong, you have to lift heavy things once or twice a week- deadlifts and squats, mostly. Your job will keep you fit, but you won't gain much more strength beyond what you need to do your job without lifting heavier things. One way to solve that is to build up strength until you can start carrying two crates at a time.
    If you are just trying to appear like you have big muscles, I can't help you much.

Dan208 is offline Senior Member
    I've been wondering this recently also. My job has me throwing boxes, anywhere from one pound all the way up to 70 pounds on a conveyor belt for 10-12 hours a day, and pulling pallets along the way. I have been thinking only doing one serious strength training workout per week (most likely heavy sandbag clean and presses) and the rest of the time concentrating on stretching and cardio type workouts.

primalTatoolover is offline Senior Member
    excuse me for not including logic..putting a very heavy weight over ur head is dangerous..have a spotter on hand or if you truly feel its dangerous i would do handstand pushups which obv u can just roll out of easily...or simply do a machine press ..find a good simple shoulder exercise and stick to it thats all

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    You will adapt and the work will become a non-issue, in all likelihood. If memory serves, you are a strong, young, healthy guy. Before long, you won't even notice that stuff. You'll be able to go right back to your old lifting.

Rip has a colorful (and possibly offensive) quote about this situation:

If you can't train and work in a warehouse at the same time, you probably have ovarian cancer. Consult your gynecologist.

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by primalTatoolover View Post
    excuse me for not including logic..putting a very heavy weight over ur head is dangerous..have a spotter on hand or if you truly feel its dangerous i would do handstand pushups which obv u can just roll out of easily...or simply do a machine press ..find a good simple shoulder exercise and stick to it thats all
    exactly, you didn't include logic.

and training to failure, as far as i understand, is not necessary.

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    4. Hypertrophy isn't really a goal, is it? If you are just trying to appear like you have big muscles, I can't help you much.
    The old credo was that, eventually, with strength comes size but I don't think that's necessarily true. I know a lot of power lifters who don't look like they could move a couch from one side of the living room to the other. And while I do value health and strength over aesthetics, I would prefer to look strong than to look wiry.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast