OOps, wrong section, I'm sorry!!
Does anyone know the most ideal time of day to eat carbs? I've heard all of the following...
1) in the morning your body is best primed to digest & deal with carbs, so eat them then
2) at night so your body can use them to repair itself while you sleep
3) post-workout only
4) never eat carbs, or fat or even protein near bedtime b/c it interferes with your body's ability to heal itself
Anyone ever heard of these?
OOps, wrong section, I'm sorry!!
Most of that is CW, except #1.
It has been shown that the human body is more insulin-resistant in the morning.
#2-4 is hogwash.
lol, I love the word "hogwash".
So then would that make morning better or worse? If your body is insulin-resistant and you eat 6 apples, is that sugar being processed MORE efficiently or less due to insulin resistance?
It still gets digested the same, its appropriate parts converted to glucose and the fructose goes to the liver.
But your body (in the morning) doesn't release as much insulin in response to the intake/digestion of apples, insulin being the "gate keeper" to muscle/liver cells, less cellular glucose uptake as glycogen, means less overall carried weight.
It depends on your objective.
(1) If you are trying to loose or maintain weight (body composition) then morning is best to deal with carbs if you feel you can't do without. But then why bother with carbs at all if weight loss is your objective.
(2 & 3)If you are trying to gain mass (fat or muscle) then post-workout and/or late evening is best for your body to deal for that objective.
(4) I know animals generally do not eat when they are injured. But I don't know if that is because they are too sick to eat or because they are taking time out to heal. Logic would suggest that eating food to heal would be a wise thing but I really don't know.
“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
—Robert A. Heinlein
Don't over-analyze it...
Carbs are not the devil. You can eat them. You can eat them any time of day. Just eat the RIGHT carbs. Veggies are amazing.
Fruit is fine too... but why would you eat 6 apples in one sitting? Would you eat 6 steaks in one sitting? 6 tomatoes? Eat a piece of fruit or a little bowl of berries - why go overboard?
Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.
For myself, I find that eating fruit or other carbs in the morning makes me much hungrier later on in the day. If I IF breakfast, or have a couple of eggs, then no problem.
But everyone is different, and I agree with FNW. Don't over-think it; see what works best for your body.
I agree w/ kuno1chi. Carbs just make me crave more, so I guess eating them later in the day is a bit better for me (if I want to avoid them more). IDK...I'm still learning about all this really though through experimentation w/ my daily diet...I do last a lot longer after a low-carb high protein/fat meal than after a higher carb including meal...