Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Terribly troubling: "Fat Tax" on butter... page

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member

Terribly troubling: "Fat Tax" on butter...

Primal Fuel
    Without getting into a political discussion, this wrong-headed move by Denmark is what many are pushing for in the UK and the US.

Conversations about government over-regulation and nanny-states aside, we are now basing it on really bad science:

Body blow for butter-loving Danes as fat tax kicks in | World news | The Guardian

In a sunny park in Copenhagen, Mathias Buch Jensen was unimpressed. All around him, people were tucking into beer and chips. There were few signs that the latest offensive in the worldwide war on obesity was having much effect.

But then Denmark might not be the best place to experiment with a "fat tax" on lardy products. "You know, Danes are big fans of butter," Buch Jensen mused. "We love fat."

He added: "Knowing the Danes, it could have the opposite effect. Like naughty children, when they are told not to do something, they do it even more."

In a country known for butter and bacon, Denmark's new tax is a body blow. Danes who go shopping today will pay an extra 25p on a pack of butter and 8p on a packet of crisps, as the new tax on foods which contain more than 2.3% saturated fat comes into effect. Everything from milk to oils, meats and pre-cooked foods such as pizzas will be targeted. The additional revenue raised will fund obesity-fighting measures.

The move has parallels elsewhere in Europe. Hungary has recently imposed a tax on all foods with unhealthy levels of sugar, salt and carbohydrates, as well as goods with high levels of caffeine. Denmark, Switzerland and Austria have already banned trans fats, while Finland and Romania are considering fat taxes.

But it is Britain which has the biggest obesity problem in Europe, and campaigners have urged the government to follow Denmark's lead. Tam Fry, spokesman for the National Obesity Forum, said: "It is not a question of whether we should follow the Danes' lead – we have to. If we don't do anything about it, by 2050, 70% of the British population will be obese or overweight and that would result not only in the downfall of the NHS but also of our national workforce."

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    Just read that.. Wtf? Ridiculous.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i guarantee we in the US will see something similar happen in the very near future

Unshod Sarah is offline Senior Member
    Yes, indeed. Then the population will continue to get fatter and fatter and in twenty years there will be a tax on wheat products. *sigh*

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    we already have with the junk food tax but i wouldn't doubt they'd implement this too
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

kenn is offline Senior Member
    They add these taxes to fund state healthcare costs due to obesity that is rising greatly. The knowledge they are using is SAD.
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    It seems Canada is now officially the free-est country in the world.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Roach is offline Senior Member
    Denmark also taxes prostitution. This is just another step in their government's "Let's tax everything awesome" initiative.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I already pay a "grain free tax" on my foods in the US. Since grains and corn are heavily subsidized and I avoid those foods and well as animals that are fed grains and corns, my food is a great deal more expensive. Adding a "fat tax" on top of that would really annoy me.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    It seems Canada is now officially the free-est country in the world.
    If so, that's really not saying much at all.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast