Thread: Canned vegetables page

HeWhoIsAaron is offline Junior Member

Canned vegetables

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys. I'm a college student living off campus, so canned vegetables are a HUGE convenience for me. My standard dinner is to grill some kind of meat and mix with a canned or frozen vegetable side dish or a salad. But since I'm eating so much of it, I have to ask if canned vegetables have any sort of pertinent negative attribute. Obviously, they're canned and not the "real thing". But do I run the risk of getting sick or something if I keep eating so much of it? (Or does anyone have any suggestions to EASILY AND SIMPLY prepare vegetables?)

Thanks,
    Aaron

callherpetrol is offline Member
    im in the same boat as you (college student, off campus). i stick with frozen vegetables. they're just as convenient as canned, and i think they're healthier too. i stock up mainly on broccoli and organic chopped spinach

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by callherpetrol View Post
    im in the same boat as you (college student, off campus). i stick with frozen vegetables. they're just as convenient as canned, and i think they're healthier too. i stock up mainly on broccoli and organic chopped spinach
    Good suggestion.

To the OP - if you're worried about canned veggies absorbing something from the can, frozen vegetables are always an option. In generally it's mostly acidic things(like tomatoes) that you want to be careful of - in those cases you want to make sure the cans are BPA-free.

Persionally each week I buy a TON of frozen veggies - if you're careful which veggies you buy, you can probably get a week's worth of frozen vegetables for $20, possibly less. I keep a lot of them in my freezer so that I can quickly steam or stir-fry them when I need vegetables as part of a quick meal.

By the way, good job to both of you for eating well as college students. I know I lived off of macaroni & cheese and pizza far too much as a college student when living off campus, and needless to say the result of that was... not good.
    Last edited by jsa23; 10-02-2011 at 05:07 PM.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Frozen are the better of the two. But if you eat canned, rinse them a couple of times before cooking. This will help to wash some of the processing crap off them.

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    Look for "fresh frozen"; iirc these have more vitamins and other nutrients even than the "fresh" vegetables (which may have been picked many days before, traveled days in trucks, etc. etc.). And they are definitely better for you than canned.

Easy and simple veggies:
    - any veggies you like raw (carrots, celery, broccoli, peppers, etc.)
    - any veggies you like in a quick stir-fry (above list plus onions, garlic, kale, shredded cabbage)
    - any veggies you like naturally fermented or pickled - easy to do at home (cucumber, okra, onion, garlic, sauerkraut, etc.)
    - nuked frozen veggies - add fat
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal