Thread: My Primal Journal (Esoteric Fish) page

Esoteric Fish is offline Member

Shop Now

This is my 12 week plan. I think keeping a semi-public record will help me stay on track. I've tried a number of diets to get in shape, which have worked to varying degrees - but I've never gotten and stayed lean for an extended period. I revert back to my bad habits after the diet and undo any good work I have done. This is an attempt to change my lifestyle.

STARTING STATS

Sex: Male

Height: 5'7"

Weight: ~200lbs

I'm fairly strong right now (deadlift ~400), but my lungs are weak and I've got 30-40lbs of excess fat.

GOALS

Ultimately, I want to become lean. I would guess I should weigh 160-170lbs. I also want to gain more strength. Strong and lean. Pretty basic. Over the next 12 weeks, I'd like to add some strength while losing around 20lbs.

EXERCISE

2x a week (Mon./Thurs.) I will jog to the park and do sprints.

2x a week (Tues./Sat.) I will lift heavy. I've a got a pretty simple 2x a week routine from Dinosaur Training that I will follow.

Also, I'll walk at least 2 miles a day.

DIET

I have already given up alcohol for a year (I'm about five months dry already.)

For the next 12 weeks, I'll eat fairly strict paleo. No grains or sugar. Ocassional Dairy. No "cheats".

I plan to cycle my carbs with my workouts. On days that I do not exercise, I'll have under 30 grams. Just meat and veggies. On days that I sprint, I'll get 30-60 grams by adding some fruit. On days that I lift, I'll have one 100+ carb meal after the workout, using tubers like sweet potatoes.

Other than that, I'll just try to eat wholesome meats and veggies, and try to keep the calories low. I don't plan to obsessively calorie count; I'll just try to stay hungry. It'll be a lean couple of months. I'll try to get in a good breakfast most days, which helps keep the carb cravings at bay. I'm sure I'll do some IF, but I'll let that happen naturally. Again, I'm using the next 12 weeks to establish a sensible routine I can maintain for a long time.

LIFESTYLE

Lastly, I plan to fix my sleep schedule. I tend to stay up late, just wasting time on the internet or watching TV. Then I sleep until noon. The day is pretty much shot at that point. Early to bed and early to rise, from here on out. All these pieces seem to work together.

Finally, I need to remember that all these guidelines do not in themselves constitute living a good a life - but by following them, I will allow myself to live a good life. I will be more energetic and more focused on my studies, which will make me a happier person. At least, that is the goal.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the Tribe, Esoteric!

Btw: Ya don't necessarily need to "stay hungry", though...your body will start to tell you when you've eaten enough.

Kuno1chi - Thanks for the welcome!

Day 1: Today was my first day (my start was postponed by the tragic Packers loss on Sunday, which could only be made bearable with junk food).

Diet

I ate around 1.6 pounds of grass-fed sirloin roast, about a pound of pineapple, and 3 ounces of macadamia nuts. I know this isn't much variety, but I liked it, and it's what I had easily on hand. I ate at around 9am, 3pm, and 7pm. I'm a little hungry, but feeling pretty good. I also drank a couple cups of coffee, some herbal tea, and a glass of diet Pepsi (I'm cutting the diet soda out, slowly but surely).

Exercise

I rode my bike to the park (about 10 minutes), did some sprints (4 x 90sec. sprint / 90sec. walk), rode home, and stretched a bit. The sprints wore me out. I couldn't really sprint for a full 90 seconds - but it's just day one. I think I'll improve quickly.

I woke up early, had a productive day (did some good work on Plato), and I'm pretty tired and ready for bed. The first day is definitely a success.

Day 2:

I woke up around 10am, had some macadamia nuts, and then walked a mile to whole foods and had .4 pound brisket. I then walked a mile to school, studied for a three or four hours with some coffee, then walked a couple miles home. I had .8 pounds ground beef, with sauteed onions and mushrooms, and a pound of pineapple.

Then I lifted weights.

Front Squat: 115x5, 135x5, 165x5, 185x1

Push Press: 85x5, 105x5, 125x5 145x5

Penlay Rows: 135x5, 165x5, 185x5, 195x3

Farmer Walks: 150 each hand / 4x for distance

Knee Raises 2x7

I also messed around with curls using my new fat gripz, but my grip is too weak I think so I pooped out.

I was supposed to have some baked potatoes after my workout for some carbs, but I screwed them up (I know it's hard to screw up a baked potato, but I managed). In a moment of frustration, I just had a post workout recovery drink, which was basically just sugar. I'm a little annoyed at my workout (I've lost some strength) and my screwed up potatoes - I'll have to keep improving!

spacecowboy614 Guest

"It takes forever to cook a baked potato in a conventional oven. Sometimes, I'll just throw one in there, even if I don't want one. By the time it's done, who knows?"

You weren't perfect on your diet but you had a damn good workout so don't be so hard on yourself!

All bumps in the road are small unless you decide to stop and get out of the car. Just keep it up, man!

Jefferson is offline Member

A banana is like the opposite of a street light. Green means hold on. Yellow means go ahead. Red means where the fuck did you get that banana at?

Jefferson is offline Member

Seriously though, EFish, it sounds like you're really putting the work in.

Keep at it, I'm sure your workouts will get much better.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, spacecowboy6 and jefferson.

Day 3:

I had an alright day. It was a pretty busy, and I failed to get my walk in. But my diet was pretty good. I ate .5 pound grassfed beef and a handful of walnuts for breakfast, some beef jerky as a midday snack, a big lamb salad for dinner, and a couple chicken wings as a late night snack. I did have a productive day reading Hegel, TAing for logic, studying the Republic, and going to class... I'm really interested in getting a diet/lifestyle that helps me with work. So far, so good it seems. And I'm looking forward to my sprints tomorrow!

Day 4:

I woke up around 10am and had .5 lbs of grassfed ground beef and a handful of walnuts. Later, I had an orange. Around 5pm, I had 1/4 of a rotisserie chicken and .8 lbs of pineapple. Then, I rode my bike to the park and did some sprints. When I got home, I had 2/4 more of the chicken, and .5 lbs of pineapple, and about 2 ounces of gruyere cheese as a late night snack.

I didn't sleep well last night, and was pretty tired all day. Wasn't as productive as I would have liked. Couldn't really focus or get into my studies. I drank coffee all day to keep me going. I also had around 80 active grams of carbs - a little high for today, but I wanted something to give me some energy for my sprints. The cheese I had seemed to make me more hungry, and feel a but "off".

I still feel alright, but not great. Hopefully, I'll get a good night's sleep and feel better.